The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 22, 2013, 01:00 PM   #26
TheNocturnus

@Constantine
I got rid of my Glock 19 because I wanted to up my caliber to a .45. A guy offered me more than I paid for it, so I jumped on it.

I plan on getting another G19 in the future so it's not a real loss.
I'm kind of on the fence about night sights. I saw your thread asking about the triangle ones and saw that ad for them.

I have never had night sights on any of my guns but if I did, i'd probably just have the trijicon ones.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old January 22, 2013, 11:38 PM   #27
pete2

Doesn't everyone love the .45 ACP.
Old January 23, 2013, 06:11 PM   #28
Tactical Jackalope

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358982543.768832.jpg

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”
Old January 24, 2013, 09:40 AM   #29
TheNocturnus

There you go Constantine.
By the way, what SD ammo are you using for your G30? I have Hornady Critical Defense 200gr JHP in mine.
Old January 24, 2013, 09:44 AM   #30
Tactical Jackalope

lol thanks man...I don't know why the tapatalk application charges to post pictures in that format all of a sudden. Ridiculous. -__-

I use Winchester PDX-1's Bonded 230gr @ standard pressure. The don't fail with my guns and are always available locally.

I used to use Remington Golden Sabers or Speer Gold Dots...I'm looking for them still.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:14 AM   #31
TheNocturnus

Just ordered 2 boxes of 50 rounds of Armscor .45acp ammo from CTD. Cost me $56. I'd get more but I have never used it before and don't know if it is garbage or not.

So sick of this ammo shortage.
Old January 25, 2013, 02:40 AM   #32
Bongo Boy

Congratulations!! Also thanks for posting a photo. Yes, I could get a million photos online of a G30, but everyone likes threads with photos.

The 45ACP is kind of like the V8 of the auto pistol world, I think, and similarly versatile. Loaded up to SAMMI standard and +P specs, it is very impressive. Loaded down to moderate levels it's still impressive as a defensive round and a pleasure to shoot all day. Loaded to bare minimums, it's just gut-bustin' can-plinkin' fun.

Although I can't suggest reloading as a solution to anything right at moment (because components are basically non-existent right now), do consider making the commitment to hand loading as a long-term strategy for affordable ammo. I couldn't possibly shoot anywhere close to the volume I enjoy if I didn't hand load. Ten cents a round is possible in any auto pistol caliber making your own bullets, $0.18 a round if you have to buy bullets.

45ACP handloads with 200 gr lead-- $0.10 a round:

I recently bought 500 rds of Armscor FMJ in 10mm, and printed a 3-round group the size of a penny at 20 yards from a rest. It seems to be good quality ammo at the very least as good as Winchester white box or Federal Champion...and it's manufactured in the USA. I'm impressed actually.

Congrats again and enjoy!

Last edited by Bongo Boy; January 25, 2013 at 02:49 AM.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:41 AM   #33
SR420

Quote:
Apparently I love .45acp now
Showing some love for the .45 ACP

Old January 25, 2013, 09:52 AM   #34
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Just ordered 2 boxes of 50 rounds of Armscor .45acp ammo from CTD. Cost me $56. I'd get more but I have never used it before and don't know if it is garbage or not.

So sick of this ammo shortage.
You're telling me -__- I hate it. The gun show was dry as can be too. Wal-Mart is also. I ordered online from an ammo company in the beginning of January they sent a letter right after saying some BS of it being in stock but it'll take till February to ship.

Blah......

I want to shoot my Glock 30sf already!
Old January 25, 2013, 12:55 PM   #35
TheNocturnus

@Bongoboy

I have thought about getting in to reloading but don't really know where to start. Is it expensive to get all of the equipment? What all would I need?
Old January 25, 2013, 01:00 PM   #36
Sarge

Amscor Precision’s .45 ACP, 230 Grain FMJ Ammunition Review

Good stuff, IMO.
Old January 25, 2013, 09:46 PM   #37
Misssissippi Dave

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

Here is a good place to start reading about reloading. A person can start reloading for a fairly low amount of money. You can also spend a lot depending on how much ammo you feel you need to turn out per hour. Either way you normally can reload for less than the cost of factory ammo.
Old January 26, 2013, 10:58 AM   #38
Bongo Boy

Yes, there are quite a few places to go for basic information on hand loading, including several reloading manuals from Speer, Lyman, Hornaday and so on. Most folks will recommend getting a manual as the right place to start, but I'd start at places such as handloads.com and google 'ultimate handloader' or something like that to find a site devoted to reloading. There are a lot of youtube vids out there too, but of course quality ranges. I haven't tried it, but if you have something like Apple TV or other similar service, I'm sure there are a number of good podcasts.

You can start out with one press, invest very little money and see if it's something you want to do, etc. Lots of folks will recommend their favorite 'starter' press--and good presses such as the Lee Classic Turret are available for around $100. I started that way, and loaded 10,000 rds of the ammo I showed above with relative ease and speed, and very few issues. You can think of it like learning a musical instrument--start slow and get every note right and well-articulated. Speed will come on its own. The difference of course is that, in music, sloppy can sound real good. Here, sloppy seldom sounds good.

Another alternative is to start by looking at how much you spend on ammo and firearms, and consider how long it will take you to break even. How much you save is driven largely by whether or not you shoot cast bullets--which is where the real savings is IMO. With the stock Glock barrels, common legend has it cast bullets aren't a good idea and I believe they are specifically not recommended by Glock. I and many others believe this is somewhat a crock of horse hooey, but aftermarket conventional rifling barrels are available that make that recommendation go away.

There's an added expense to casting, and added time and learning involved. If you like the hobby, getting to the range isn't easy, and you want to learn about casting and saving money, then it's a great way to expand the hobby at extremely low additional cost.

Anyway, after about a year of handloading I bought a progressive press, but I kept track of all my expenditures (for everything related to loading), and I believe with the casting stuff and bullet sizer/luber, I spent about $700. In 2-3 weeks of casual handloading, I broke even over the cost of the same quantity of ammo.

As many folks put it, forgo the purchase of one or two handguns and buy handloading setup instead, and then you'll actually be able to shoot the guns you already own. That's one perspective (which I happen to agree with).

My recommendation, even if you don't want to commit to the significant outlay of a full progressive press with auto indexing (every cycle of the press arm completes five steps of the process, and a live cartridge drops out of the press), you should still consider a press that has a 4- or 5-stage turret, rather than a single-stage press. For shooting auto pistols, you need to produce a decent quantity of ammo, and a single-stage heavy duty press is really more suited for precision loading of individual rifle cartridges. It just isn't practical if you want 4 boxes of ammo loaded in your spare 45 minutes.

Finally, you need to build or buy a solid, heavy duty bench. Again, google 'reloading bench setup' and you find hundreds of photos of what other folks have done with what they have available. The process requires order, discipline, organization, focus and attention to detail. It's brain dead simple, but no place for distraction, clutter or sloppiness.

Do it!

Last edited by Bongo Boy; January 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old January 26, 2013, 12:25 PM   #39
TheNocturnus

Thanks for the info guys. I'll look into it.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:05 PM   #40
Sharpsdressed Man

This shortage is a learning experience. In the future, we all will be more prepared, better stocked, and many will take up reloading, so that they won't be as dependent on the market for their ammo. All of that is GOOD thing. The shortage is temporary.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:33 PM   #41
pat701

Good luck with your 30. I bought a NIB blue label 21 the day after Sandy Hook. IMHO it has weak ejection, & 8, BTF out of 250rds fired during break-in.
Old January 26, 2013, 08:40 PM   #42
flybuddy

I picked up a 30 at the Ft Lauderdale gun show 2 weeks back. Not having any trouble finding reasonable 45 ACP. I've bought at Bass, Wally world and Dicks. I also bought an Advantage Arms 22lr conversion kit for the Glock (not delivered yet)..Cheap way to shoot it and get use to feel without going broke.