The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 8, 2012, 01:24 PM   #1
mayosligo

New 870 tactical

Gotta love the 2nd Amendment tax free weekend. Just picked up an 870 tactical 8 shot 12 gauge. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347128572.293027.jpg
Old September 8, 2012, 02:38 PM   #2
ahanson0812

Congrats! I just got the same shotgun Tuesday. I've put about 50 rounds thought mine so far, and it's been a good shooter. Great Zombie defense shotgun.
Old September 8, 2012, 03:10 PM   #3
mayosligo

Yes, zombies beware. The wife likes it too.
Old September 8, 2012, 04:17 PM   #4
ahanson0812

Have you shot your yet? I put about 60 rounds though mine today. 50 rounds of bird shot, and 10 rifled slugs. I had some issues with mine when it came to racking the slide. you have to rack it with some authority, or the gun wouldn't cycle.

I did a comparison with my other 870 field model, and that one the action was smooth as silk. But that gun also has a lot more rounds though it. I bought that one used, and since I've owned it have put about 200 rounds though it.

I just cleaned my tactical model, oiled everything up, and racked the slide about 100 times. Seems to be a little smoother now.
Old September 8, 2012, 04:23 PM   #5
mayosligo

Not yet, but from the sound of it more use will solve this issue. My Beretta was he same way out the box. Hope to shoot it soon.
Old September 8, 2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Opinated

In my experience, racking a pump should be done vigorously. Semiautomatics do not cycle slowly. Most jams I have with pumps and lever actions are from timid cycling. But vigorous probably beats up the firearm more.
Old September 8, 2012, 09:40 PM   #7
TheKlawMan

Tight chambers are typical on an 870. They will losen with use or you can polish the chamber with some steel wool. http://www.aiptactical.com/Page_2.html
Old September 9, 2012, 09:01 AM   #8
FlyerXD

I have had the same shotgun for about 3 years. The more you shoot it the better it gets. Mine has locked up a few times in the begining but doesn't anymore. I wish they had parkerized it instead of powder coat because I have a few spots where the powder coat lifted. I shoot only buckshot out of mine and see no issue with racking it with authority we could never match the force of an autoloader. I think I will replace the breacher choke with a flush fitting one to get back to 18 1/2".
Old September 9, 2012, 09:48 PM   #9
Gerry

I bought one of those for my wife this spring (well I was hoping for me too), but then she says it's too big for her 5' tall skinny frame. So she wanted a smaller stock. So I installed a Hogue 12" LOP one on it, and sadly I can't shoot it now as it just feels to weird and uncomfortable

I dressed it up with a Mesa shell holder, and she's now pretty good at reloading from the holder. She used it in an IPSC shotgun match already for a community fundraiser. Now I have to get myself one to build it MY WAY!
Old September 11, 2012, 12:54 PM   #10
vba

Flyer, I think you have the same gun as me. 870 Tactical with breecher and ghost sights? Anyway, I removed the breecher as it's useless and replaced with a Remington IC choke. Be sure to replace with some kind of a choke if you remove the breecher as the threads will be torn to bits when you shoot it.

I also painted my gun with Krylon Black BBQ grill paint and it came out very nice. If I had to do it over and I may, I would use that stuff the Brownell's sells:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...rkerizing-Gray
Old September 12, 2012, 04:00 PM   #11
FlyerXD

I agree about the breecher choke it's useless unless your blowing doors on a Swat team or something and I think it looks too mall ninja for my taste.I will get a good I/C choke thats flush and be much happier.Did yours have issues with the powdercoat as well?
Old September 12, 2012, 04:12 PM   #12
TheSILENTtype

I have about 10 versions of the 870 now.

With all of mine, immediately following purchase, I strip them ; put some 0000 around the chamber, give it a good lube and fire away.

Without a question SGs are made to be PUMPED not slid.
Old September 15, 2012, 03:42 AM   #13
RCPractitioner

I also have one and the powdercoating is going to crap on mine as well
Old September 18, 2012, 09:06 AM   #14
vba

Flyer, I did not have problems with the matte blue finish on my 870 Express Tactical. But after reading I thought may as well just paint and not have to worry about it.

I got my IC choke on amazon but they don't appear to have them at present. It is a flush fit tube and it is a Remington F101585 catalog number. Check Midwayusa or Brownells.