The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 16, 2010, 09:43 PM   #1
boatmonkey82

Need some opinions on a ruger refinish

Ok I am hoarding any and all guns from from dad and grandpa , mainly b/c they dont care for them , they just sit in a damp closet . Just when i think i have them all som emore come out of the wood work ! tonight pops brought out two H&r 949 matching set ' nice' but the rear sights have some surface rust , I can handle those. next he brought out the ruger security six 357 . the front 3 in looks like hell and has some pitting , but from there back looks new . Am I looking at a total reblue or is there a possiblity of matching the repiar to the rest .
Old December 17, 2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Total refinish.
I suggest rater than rebluing, you upgrade the finish to nickel or hard chrome. Bluing will rust and wear off again.
Old December 17, 2010, 03:49 AM   #3
NWPilgrim

Kudos for taking care of the guns. Too bad they were neglected but nothing like a new generation reviving some old guns and putting them to use.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old December 18, 2010, 11:31 PM   #4
triggerman770

Ruger Refinish

I have never been able to get a Ruger to come out of the tanks looking like the Ruger factory finish. I use the Du-Lite system and they claim that Ruger does too. I had a 1950 Ruger standard that was rusted all over from sitting in a leather holster for 30+ years. so I sent it and a check for 40 bucks to Ruger
and had it back in about a month completely overhauled including the bluing
check a current owners manual or call ruger to see if the pricew is the same35.00 plus 5.00 return shipping. you'll be glad you did
www.georgiacarry.org