The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 31, 2009, 03:41 AM   #1
joniliff

Help w/Colt 25 Auto

Hello...

Trying to talk to the 'experts'...need information, please.

Attached are 3 photos of my Colt Model N, manuf. 1911, s/n 48284. I got it when my mom passed away. Old, dirty, semi-functional (Gun, not Mom)....I cleaned it, got it 'operational' and tried to fire it. Several FTF, with small dot from firing pin on cap. I ordered and replaced the magazine spring, retractor spring and firing pin spring. Now it works fine, and fires nicely...no FTF or FTE.

HOWEVER....after last disassembly/re-assembly, a part 'fell out'! The part is pictured in the attached. From my very limited knowledge of the pistol, it looks like a 'piece' of part no. 15, "Sear, Safety, Trigger and Magazine Catch Spring." It looks like one of the arms broke off, disabling the Magazine safety? The pistol reassembled OK, and fired OK, without that piece, but...I'm curious and concerned.

From my reading, that 'part no. 15' was introduced in 1916, and this pistol was manufactured in 1911...retrofit? Did they do 'recalls' then? Or, is it not the magazine safety as I've guessed.

Can the weapon continue to be fired safely, without that piece? I have no problem with field stripping a weapon, but am not skilled/knowledgeable enough to proceed further, and I don't know where I'd get that replacement part anyway.

Comments? Can you help me? Thanks in advance...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt Model N ...1911.jpg (235.1 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Catch Spring.jpg (241.5 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Coltautos Instruction Sheet.jpg (89.4 KB, 37 views)
Old May 31, 2009, 08:10 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

That looks like one arm of the sear spring, Part # 15 in your picture.

That spring was not added in 1916, it was just given a little extra job to do. I don't know if they would have the part, but try www.gunpartscorp.com for the spring.

Jim