The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 27, 2005, 12:57 PM   #1
bclark1

Versatile Semis

Well, the checkbook says no but everything else says yes to a new shotgun at the end of the summer. I'm trying to get some family members turned on to the shooting sports, so having a second one would be nice. Right now I've got an 835, and I'd go with the 935 for a semi if it could do 2 3/4" shells. Basically I just want a 12ga gun that's semi-automatic and can do all three chamber lengths. Economy is better, which seems to limit me to the Rem 11-87 and Franchi 912. If I can settle for 3" shells - I usually like the maximum versatility - then Winchesters and CZs become an option as well. As much as I'd love a Benelli or Beretta, just can't say I'll be able to free up a grand for another gun for a while, it's well more than I've invested in any one piece of my predominantly functional collection. So right now I'm probably leaning towards an 11-87, but if anyone has praise or trash to talk about any versatile semis in the sub-$700-in-hand price range, or any suggestions that I haven't seen yet, please do tell!