The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 22, 2005, 05:05 PM   #1
JackHurst99

Ted Williams M 53 bolt - Winchester?

I have a Ted Williams Model 53 bolt 30-06. I was wondering if this is a Winchester and if so what model does it compare to in Winchester. I was also wondering what time periods they were made in.
Old February 22, 2005, 05:54 PM   #2
Jim Watson

It is a Winchester Model 70 post '64 design.

The Model 53 Ted Williams is listed in the Gun Digest from 1966 through 1973 although there were fewer choices in the '73 edition (published in '72) and they were probably just selling off stock on hand.

Winchester changed the action again in 1968, and I would assume they sold Sears the current model. I don't remember whether the anti-bind feature was a groove in the bolt locking lug running on a rib in the receiver or a rib on the bolt running in a groove in the receiver, but if it is a post-68 there will be some added machining on one locking lug.
Old February 23, 2005, 02:03 PM   #3
JackHurst99

thanks for the reply. i was curious though i looked further and it said JC Higgins on the barrell and an old gunsmith I knew had told me it was a Savage. I am looking to get a JC Higgins barrell and just wanted to make sure it would be compatible. thanks.
Old February 23, 2005, 03:05 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Now wait just a minute.
J.C. Higgins was an earlier Sears sporting goods trademark and may not be the same basic gun as a Ted Williams. The Gun Digests I have are not 100% reliable on small details, there may have been some Winchester made JCH rifles in the early 60s, right after Winchester changed the design, but there were a bunch on Mauser, Sako, and HVA actions, too. I see nothing like a Savage.
Best get the rifle to somebody knowledgeable, or post a picture.
Old February 26, 2005, 07:34 PM   #5
JackHurst99

had it checked further and it is a winchester. thanks.