The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 12, 2013, 06:54 PM   #1
steveNChunter

Building a .220 Swift on a Model 7 action

I have a Remington model 7 in .243 and I want to use the action for a build using a .220 swift barrel taken off a Model 700.

Long story short on the barrel: It was originally on a model 700 that my dad used to hunt prairie dogs, its only had a few break-in rounds through it, dad's health took a downturn and he never got to take it hunting with the new barrel. He gave me the rifle a few years later and I had the original barrel put back on the rifle (6mm rem).

So I have this like new, magnum contour 26" .220 swift barrel lying around, and a model 7 .243 that doesn't see much action anymore as I have sorta pushed it aside in favor of my 6mm remingtons.

First question is do the model 7 and 700 share the same barrel thread? I've heard they do but want to make sure from some of the knowledgeable folks on TFL.

Second, will the bolt and/or magazine need any modification? I'm pretty sure they share the same .473 bolt face and the max OAL is close enough. Will the fact that the .220 is semi-rimmed give me any issues?

I realize I will have to go a gunsmith to have the barrel fitted and the headspace may vary slightly from the two receivers but other than that, should this pairing of action and barrel work? Are there any other issues I haven't considered?
Old July 13, 2013, 01:09 AM   #2
Scorch

No, they do not have the same size threads. The front receiver ring on a Model 7 is quite a bit smaller than a 700. The bolt will not need any modification, but the mag may because of the 220 Swift's semi-rimmed case.
Old July 13, 2013, 07:28 AM   #3
steveNChunter

Not trying to be a smart a**, just trying to figure this out, but if you're right then why does midway advertise that this AAC barrel will fit a model seven or 700?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175...hreaded-muzzle
Old July 13, 2013, 07:35 AM   #4
steveNChunter

Also just looked on the AAC website and they say the same thing. They offer a .308 and a .300 blackout barrel that they say will fit a 700 and 7.
Old July 13, 2013, 09:24 AM   #5
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

steveNChunter,

Are these threaded barrels or blanks?
Old July 13, 2013, 10:28 AM   #6
steveNChunter

Pre-threaded barrels, according to the description. The picture also shows it to be threaded. I've also searched other forums and everywhere I've found says they are the same. I'm just hesitant to believe everything I read on the internet. I think I'm just gonna take the rifle and barrel to my local gunsmith and ask him. He will be doing the work anyway.
Old July 13, 2013, 10:56 AM   #7
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

steveNChunter;

They are saying that they are both 5/8-24 (Cor., my bad, 1-1/16" x 16) thread. The thing is, the chamber difference, and I don't have a book handy right now to check it. Of course it has to be fitted anyhow, but you wanted to know if the thread matched, and several places say they do.

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; July 13, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old July 13, 2013, 02:59 PM   #8
steveNChunter

Quote:
you wanted to know if the thread matched, and several places say they do.
Yessir thats all I was trying to figure out. I'm pretty sure the headspace won't be exactly right, and it may have to be re-chambered slightly to work, but that could be the case even when swapping a barrel from one 700 to another 700. A few thousandths difference is to be expected.

By the way 5/8-24 thread is referring to the threaded muzzle on that AAC barrel.

The thread on the receiver end is 1-1/16" x 16 TPI a.k.a. 1.062" x 16 TPI

I'm trying to confirm that the model 7 shares that thread. All the info I've read on it says that the 721, 722, 660, 600, XP-100, Model 7, 700, and 40X are all the same barrel thread. I've done some more research since starting this thread and I'm pretty confident that its the same
Old July 13, 2013, 07:04 PM   #9
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Haha, you're correct, as I did write the wrong thread; I was half asleep! Sorry about that, but they did all say they were matching. I must have been pretty out of it, not catching 5/8", being about 1/2 what it should be. I've been taking cold medicine all morning, and that just does not work well with ones mental faculties!

They all did say that the receiver thread matched, all between the 7 and 700 series. I have a book on it, but I would have to dig it out, and where it is at the moment, your guess is as good as mine.

Take a look here:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr...emington_Model

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ns/Jti48JxK3UM

Last edited by Dixie Gunsmithing; July 13, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old July 13, 2013, 10:36 PM   #10
steveNChunter

Thanks DG, I'm pretty positive by now that it will work. I've gotta go run it by my gunsmith sometime next week and let him get it fitted. Then I'm most likely going to order a Boyd's stock for it and glass bed it. I'm thinking about a Timney trigger for it also while I've got everything apart. A duracoat job might also be in order since the action is blued and the barrel is stainless.

Haven't decided for sure on all that yet, just considering the possibilities.
Old July 13, 2013, 11:37 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

Re-using a take off barrel is not always just a matter of getting the right threads. The barrel also has to draw up right (the sights could be on the bottom) and the headspace has to work, though that might not be too much problem with the SR .220 Swift. Anyway, if you screw on that barrel and everything works, buy a lottery ticket before the luck goes away.

Jim
Old July 14, 2013, 12:02 AM   #12
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Oh. it will most definitely have to be fitted, as James said. The barrel will have to have this corrected before its chambered. What might fit one, doesn't mean it will screw on and line up on another, due to tolerances between the barrel threads, and the frame itself. It just means that a small part of the work is pre-done. Of course, that is what we Gunsmiths are for.
Old July 14, 2013, 07:00 AM   #13
steveNChunter

Yes I agree with what y'all both just said. One thing I don't have to worry about is there aren't any sights or writing on the barrel to worry about lining up. If I thought it would be as easy as taking the old one off and screwing the new one on, I'd just buy a barrel wrench and do it myself. But I have a good local gunsmith to do it for me. He has done a couple jobs for me over the past couple years, but this is my first rifle build. After he fits the barrel, I'm going to do the rest myself.