The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 30, 2011, 11:38 PM   #1
BerdanSS

what do you guys think? a LNIB zouve for $225

OK guys, I love traditional muzzle loading and have no place in my heart for in-lines (unless it's my beloved curly maple Austin halleck 420) I did a little civil war reenacting back when, and really enjoy the 1850-60s muskets and rifled muskets. I've been looking to pick up a new side-lock "cap gun", since I had to sell all of mine a few years ago due to an unfortunate lay-off.

I've found an Armi Jager of Italy .58cal Remington Zouave. In new (and supposedly) un-fired condition, for $225 OBO. And it's in state, so I don't have to deal with the risk of buying sight un-seen. I have no experience with that particular make, or the zouve itself, as our unit all carried three band enfields or springfields. but I've always been quite taken with the look of the zouave. So.....should I do it? Suggestions, comments and feedback from anyone with one of these rifles would be great.

Last edited by BerdanSS; October 1, 2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old October 1, 2011, 02:47 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

I'm not familiar with the brand. I do have a Zouave (1863 Remington model) that I've had for about 50 years. It's a repro - no makers name though. I've put a lot of rounds through it and it is a good shooter - fun to shoot. I have and have had three banders - both originals and repros - Springfield models and Enfields. If you aren't going to use it for re-enacting and you want a good "minie rifle" - then I say go for it - especially if you can take a look at it first. The price seems reasonable if the quality is there when you take a gander at it. If it is OBO - then try getting the price down a litlle - new ones go for much more than what they are asking for it - check out a number of the Sutlers - S & S, etc. and see what they are getting for a Zouave. Go to the NSSA sute and there will be some links there to follow up on. My dad helped me buy mine and I wouldn't take a million dollars for it. Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old October 1, 2011, 11:47 PM   #3
BerdanSS

Thank you for the comment! I see I've had a lot or readers but only one poster, I was starting to worry I wasn't going to get any responce. Again you have my thanks for the input.

I'm out of reenacting now, and just looking for a good shooter to have fun with. And bring back memories of burning powder with the 14th IN vol. infantry The last time I checked a sutler for a zouave, it was fall creek right here in Indiana. They wanted around five and a half for one, but that was a euroarms and it has been five or six years ago.

P.S. I forgot, I do still have one rifled musket left. It's an original '53 three band Enfield, that (sadly) at some point in it's life was cut down (rather poorly I might add) into a musketoon. But it's still a nice piece of history and was given to me by my great uncle for Christmas when I was ten (and was I ever one happy little boy! yes I was started VERY early in age to love, use and respect firearms)
Old October 2, 2011, 12:43 AM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

IMO

Price is very good. However, that gun is not authorized for N-SSA activities. If you're just a shooter and not a re-enactor, that's not an issue.

If you're looking to carry that gun as member of a unit, your unit may not approve and you will have spent money that could otherwise have gone to an authorized firearm. Remember, the Zouave is a shooter that has no history of use on the battlefield.
Old October 2, 2011, 11:22 PM   #5
BerdanSS

Thanks for the input Gary. As I am no longer in reenacting, it would be strictly a shooter (maybe a hunter too).

Right you are about the historical correctness also. As a former member of the 14th IN vol. Infantry company H, Our unit Sargent would have had a coronary if one of us showed up at living history or skirmish event with a zouave We did school presentations also, so correctness was a must.

Unfortunately for me though, the gent with the rifle isnt responding to any of my e-mails since he replied to the first one. I hope he hasen't sold it already without telling me I've always wanted one but never wanted to spring 5-600 dollars on one (armisport and euroarms)

While I've heard of Armi Jager before, I've yet to see any of them in person . They most likely aren't the same level of quality as a DGW or euroarms rifle, the wood on the Jager's from what I can tell in pictures is pretty lack-luster......but for an at least decent quality Zouave for $175-$200, could I complain?
Old October 3, 2011, 10:38 AM   #6
eastbank

i have one exactly like yours and mine is a ex shooter,i shoot 60 -90grs fff BP with a lyman 575123 hollow base mini ball with the base filled up with unsalted crisco. these same loads shoot well in a navy armes buffow carbine and a TC big boar. eastbank.