The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 10, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
bowhunter79

Any sugestions for a .308 Coyote round

I have a 308 that I would like to use for coyote hunting. The 168 gr balistic tips I use for deer would be a little excessive and I would like to go to a lighter grain to speed it up and get it to shoot a little flatter. If anybody loads 308 for coyotes I would app. any sugestions. I know a 308 is not your typical varmit gun but it is what I have so its going to pull double duty. Thanks Jeremy
Old December 10, 2009, 11:30 AM   #2
MSfatboy

Barnes and Speer make 130 grain bullets in 30 cal. but if you want to save the pelts then 308 is going to tear them up pretty bad, however if al you want is dead song dogs it does not matter.
Member Magnolia Rifle and Pistol Club
Old December 10, 2009, 11:50 AM   #3
CraigC

I would suggest using your deer load. There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to killing coyotes (unless you're saving pelts) and you will greatly benefit from extensive usage of your primary deer load.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:16 PM   #4
Doodlebugger45

I swapped a friend for 25 Sierra 125 gr bullets one time for my 308 loading. It was mostly just to try it. I loaded them over 47 gr of H4895 powder, since that was about the only appropriate powder I had at the time. They were reasonably accurate. According to the loading manual, I was probably hitting about 3050 fps or so. But anymore, I don't bother with the real lightweight bullets. I only load 150 gr Hornady bullets over about 46 gr of Varget. I don't have a chrony, but that is probably around 2900 fps or so and that is good enough for me. That way I don't have to worry about different points of impact or anything else.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:18 PM   #5
FredT

Use the Sierra 110 hollow point with a stiff load of 748. Makes a 10 shot ragged one hole group out of my Rem Varmint in .308.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:19 PM   #6
Ryder

I shot a large gray fox through the lungs with a ballistic tip 243. The bullet hole going in was the same size as the exit wound. Don't know if it was because they are constructed so lightly or the bullet was going so fast but I was very surprised that it didn't expand.
Old December 10, 2009, 12:53 PM   #7
ForneyRider

Lots of companies make Varmint rifles in 308 Win.

+1 on using same load as deer. You get more practice that way.

On the other hand, I like the Ballistic Tips and V-max for varminting. My 7mm Mag with 120gr Ballistic Tip has taken coyote, but didn't expand at all. V-max might open up a little more.
Old December 10, 2009, 03:06 PM   #8
bowhunter79

This is my back up rifle for deer. So if I load a 110gr bullet and something happens to my main rifle I can still use it for deer. The 110gr will not be as good as the 168gr on a deer but will get the job done in a pinch. Thats why I want to make it my coyote gun. My main deer rifle is a .300 wsm and I know thats way over kill for coyotes. Im not really interested in saving pelts just doing a favor for some friends that are farmers and having problems with their coyotes getting their calves, and to help out the deer population as well.
Old December 10, 2009, 03:49 PM   #9
spencerhut

Quote:
My main deer rifle is a .300 wsm and I know thats way over kill for coyotes.
Uh . . . that's overkill for deer! Must have them armor plated deer up there!

110 from a .308 should be more than enough for a deer, if properly placed.
Old December 10, 2009, 04:07 PM   #10
kwells6

i've used 110gr Hornady Spire points in a 30-06 to great success on a coyote (granted it split her in half)
Old December 10, 2009, 07:52 PM   #11
James R. Burke

I use the Hornady 110-V Max for my 30-06 that would work in yours. (.308 ) It sure wont save you any pelt but if your looking for a red mist that will do it. I was surprized at how accurate they are. I am using a Ruger No 1 A light sporter that is by far no varmint rifle. It will do 3/4" at 100 yards no problem. I am sure someone else would do even better. Like I said this is out of a 30-06 using Lapua cases, CCI large rifle primers, and Varget powder it averages 3,712 with five shots. The groups also are five shots. But keep in mind this is not for the .308 and is for the 30-06. But it is worth a try. Mine are still under the max and no signs of presure at all. Even tryed them in warmer conditions just to make sure. I do alot of shooting with that rifle, but now that I have that load worked up I dont put alot down it at that speed. In the winter I re zero with it, and thats about it except for hunting. I know I could get more speed out of it, but whats the point? Probably would not hurt to slow it down, but that was giving me alittle bit better group or I would have. Try a few with some differnt powders if you have them or can get them, and for just messing around you will find something that will work good. There were some very good suggetions on the prior posts. Even using your deer round would work like one or two post mentioned. I almost went that way just so I would not need to keep doing the re zero. But my scope has a dial that I keep in zero for my deer round. So when I go back to the deer round I just move back to the zero mark, and it is very close. I wrote down were I need to go for the V-Max so that saves alittle B.S. also. Have fun, and keep it safe. You will get many good suggestions on this forum. There close to armor plated deer hear they are big, not the biggest you will find but good size. Also in Wi and Mi you have some woods that is very thick. Your average buck here might go about 150, I am sure some folks dont think that is much dressed out but it is a honest est. There are lots out there 170 to 190 and a few in the mid 200 hundreds. This year I got a seven that went close to 150 and a eight that was close to 190.

Last edited by James R. Burke; December 10, 2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Add: More info