The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 2, 2014, 07:54 AM   #26
Marty8613

Its the box

Quote:
.45 ACP 230gr Critical Defense/Critical Duty? That's interesting as it appears neither brand is offered in 230gr.

It's the box. https://www.hornady.com/store/45-ACP-P-230-gr-XTP/

The 230 Grain +P box looks just like the Defense/Duty line. I bought this and also assumed It was defense/duty. Really it was labeled "Custom"
Old April 2, 2014, 08:21 AM   #27
Xfire68

Quote:
The 230 Grain +P box looks just like the Defense/Duty line. I bought this and also assumed It was defense/duty. Really it was labeled "Custom"
Duty/Defense both have polymer inserts in the hollow point. The Duty jacket may be thicker and or the core is harder to penetrate barriers better.

They both also have nickle plated cases.

Not really the same.
Old April 3, 2014, 11:10 PM   #28
PT-92

Hornady is great ammo--For CCW I changed over from Federal EFMJ 124 (no longer made) to Hornady's Critical Duty 9mm 135gr (I really like this bullet design/gr split down the middle 124gr-147gr).
Old April 4, 2014, 11:18 AM   #29
bikerbill

I've used Critical Defense in my SD guns since it was first offered. It's in my EDC PM9 after shooting two boxes without issue. Also in my nightstand 1911 and in the NAA Pug and Ruger LCR .22mag I carry in the neighborhood while walking my dog. I have never had one fail to feed or fire, they offer decent recoil and, for me at least, excellent accuracy. That said, as long as you make sure it will function in your gun of choice, I'm guessing most brand name JHPs will offer the same qualities. You have to try it and make sure.

Tags
ammunition , hornady