The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 13, 2010, 06:28 PM   #1
mrappe

Ballistrol

I met a BP shooter at a CAS shoot that swor by this stuff. I beleive that he was loading BP cartridges. I am not sure about cap and ball though. I ordered a large spray can of it and have used it after cleaning my gun for the day (I clean gun with hot water mixed with Simple Green after removing the wood then dry thoroughly) to prevent rust. I spray the whole gun and wipe off excess. The can says that it desolves BP residue and is an excellent patch lube but I wonder if this stuff would mess up the caps and powder if there is a trace of it when firing the next time? Does anyone have experience with this product?

SASS - Tularosa Mike
Old September 13, 2010, 07:44 PM   #2
Hardy

We sell bp guns and supplies. I have found that BP shooters are kinda like barbeque kings or queens and or people that have their own chilli recipies To clean BP is a personal recipe too. Actually the bottled Ballestol is what you want. You can mix it w/distilled water at different ratios. The guide says 5 to 1 but that too can be varieted. And yes, it will oil up your parts too much if you aren't careful. It is a great product and we sell it! But the aerosol has never been a hot item. I think cleaning barrel and cylinders w/ Blue and gray/ mixed w/ warm water or any other bp solvent. Dry and then place them in a ballestol solution of 6/1. Scub barrrel and chambers. Then dry barrel w/ dry swabs THEN swab barrel with pure patch of ballestol--take cue tips to swab chambers out for anymore residue. soak nipples in alcohol-clean w/pipe cleaners / preferably a nickel wrapped guitar string. Use a lot of paper towels
Old September 13, 2010, 07:45 PM   #3
mykeal

Lots of experience. Ballistol is an excellent patch lube, gun lubricant and rust preventative. It is also useful as a black powder fouling cleaner, although in my opinion there are much less expensive ways to clean your gun (your current method is an excellent one).

Spraying your gun with Ballistol is a good way to prevent rust. Continue to follow that up with a good wipedown with a clean cloth to remove excess oil; same thing with the bore and chambers. You don't need anything more than a thin film of Ballistol for it to do it's job well. A trace, or thin film, of Ballistol will not foul caps nor will it contaminate the powder. However, if you're concerned about it, it's pretty easy to run an alcohol soaked patch down the bore and the chambers before shooting it the next day. The alcohol will remove the Ballistol film and will dry quickly.
Old September 13, 2010, 11:25 PM   #4
jmortimer

The more I use it, the more I like it. Use it on everything, metal, wood, plastic, leather, house plants..... Non-toxic - The original "CLP"
Old September 14, 2010, 09:15 AM   #5
Erich

I love Ballistol for preserving (metal, wood, leather), but haven't been impressed with it as a cleaner. I only began using it around the New Year, but I wouldn't be without it now.
Old September 14, 2010, 09:24 AM   #6
Noz

I'm even using it as a massage oil for arthritic wrists. Works good on the guns too.
Old September 14, 2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Pahoo

For the most part, I use it the same way that mykeal has listed. I use it mostly in the field after all the shooting. It gives me enough protection until I can do more detailed cleaning in my shop. I also use the "Strong-Arm" product in the same manner.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 14, 2010, 03:34 PM   #8
wittzo

I use it as a case lube for resizing, diluted 5 or 6 to 1, the same as they recommend on the bottle for BP residue. I use boiling water from the tea kettle for cleaning and Ballistol for preserving.
Old September 14, 2010, 07:29 PM   #9
Hardy

Yeah. Mix it 6/1 and polish everything--well not everything! Brought my 1994 ford tractor back to factory blue better than any wax or polish sold commercially. And works great on tables and flat stove tops. ETC. The smell doesn't agree with everyone though.