The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 8, 2014, 05:42 PM   #1
steve4102

SAF's New Ad Campaign on UN Treaty

It appears that Alan Gottlieb and the Second Amendment Foundation are concerned that Obama may try and Ratify the UN Arms treaty without Congressional approval.

I have always been under the impression that this is not possible, but if Alan Gottlieb and the SAF think Obama will try, there may be more to it.

http://www.wnd.com/2014/12/trigger-p...order-on-guns/
Old December 8, 2014, 06:18 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I have always been under the impression that this is not possible,
You're correct. It takes a 2/3 vote in the Senate, and the votes aren't there for that.

I'm not sure what Gottleib's going on about, nor why the gun in the photo is firing the full casing instead of just the bullet. Perhaps it's a subtle metaphor for the article.
Old December 8, 2014, 07:01 PM   #3
carguychris

From the article, my emphasis underlined...
Quote:
What other unilateral policies might be coming down the pike?

Could there be a Christmas Eve surprise?

Gottlieb told WND he is launching a national media campaign this week to head off the possibility of executive action....

The Second Amendment Foundation’s [includes] a threat of legal action against the president should he take action to ratify the U.N. treaty without Senate approval.

Gottlieb said a lawsuit would be the last option, taken only if an executive order or action comes from Obama’s office.
I think this is sheer speculation dressed up with SAF talking points and disguised as news. Nowhere does the author cite a credible source who says that Obama will in fact attempt to enact the ATT without Senate approval. Gottlieb never says that it will actually happen- he only talks about what SAF will do if it happens.
Old December 8, 2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Exaggerated claims and fund raising are well know tactics in every political genre and social cause.

We received a fund raiser with personalized name tags the other day. The cause was to save the bees. There's been a bee blight and we all starve if they die.

The UN treaty has been out there to rile the populace for quite bit. Ads - where? Superbowl?

The entire round coming out of the gun is ...
Old December 8, 2014, 10:53 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

The Senate ratifies treaties, not the President. The President can, however, direct the Government to come into compliance with any signed treaty, pending ratification. A later President can also suspend such direction, or the Senate can vote non-ratification and then both chambers of Congress can pass a law nullifying any prior executive direction.

Lame Duck presidents have done some pretty bold executive actions, but I wouldn't expect the country to sit still for a non-ratified treaty being imposed on the people, no matter what the subject. The Kyoto Accords are an example of what happened the last time.
Old December 25, 2014, 01:48 PM   #6
ronl

Well, the UN treaty went into effect yesterday. Too bad for all the signatories. I don't think Obama is brash enough to try something like an end run on the Senate. Such things didn't go well in Conn. or NY. Hasn't gone very well in Wash. St. either. Still, given the track record, it does give one pause.
Old December 25, 2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronl
I don't think Obama is brash enough to try something like an end run on the Senate. Such things didn't go well in Conn. or NY.
Both Malloy and Cuomo are still in office ...
Old December 25, 2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
I don't think Obama is brash enough to try something like an end run on the Senate.
I don't see what he could do. Article II is pretty clear: it takes 2/3 of the Senate to ratify a treaty.
Old December 25, 2014, 08:13 PM   #9
Armed_Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
I'm not sure what Gottleib's going on about, nor why the gun in the photo is firing the full casing instead of just the bullet. Perhaps it's a subtle metaphor for the article.
It's a pic of a gun firing, the bullet is photoshopped in with the blur filter designed to make it look like it's in motion. It's not the whole cartridge, but the bad photoshop job makes it look like one.

eta: actually the gun isn't even firing, the trigger is not pulled even the flame is photoshop.

Last edited by Armed_Chicagoan; December 25, 2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old December 26, 2014, 11:42 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

Good catch. If you magnify the image, you don't see a line for the brass-bullet boundary.