The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 25, 2010, 08:35 PM   #1
newguy07

Mossberg 500 tactical stock question

On a mossberg 500 with a tactical stock with pistol grip how do you hit the action release button? I'm right handed, the action release is on the left side, but the pistol grip is in the way? I'm thinking about buying one but wasn't sure how to manage this?
Old July 26, 2010, 02:51 AM   #2
natman

There's no good way to reach the safety either. That's why I my Mossberg uses a conventional stock.

If you simply must have a shotgun that looks like an AR, start with a Remington.
Old July 26, 2010, 05:00 AM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

To utilize either secondary function control (action release and safety button) on a 500 with an AR/AK style stock, you roll your hand from "fire ready" position up on to the stock/receiver joint. this is easiest done by dropping the gun to hip shooting position...

This kills the ergonomic reasons for a mossberg.

To me, a "tactical" stock is a traditional style. The definition of "tactic/tactical" is PLANNING an effective efficient armed resistance. Mitigating the positive attributes of a weapon design to use an aftermarket device that looks or seems cool or better is not in the "tactical" best interest of the user... but that is just the opinion of a back woods redneck feller.

Brent
Old July 26, 2010, 05:42 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

...And yes i do know what I am talking about...

I put this Choate stock on in hopes the mrs. would shoot it in practice... When she wouldn't even fire the 20 gauge in this configuration, I gave her my S&W semi-auto .22 pistol (she was pretty well versed and practiced with this one) and a spare mag for her nightstand defensive firearm...
Brent