The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 25, 2000, 01:34 AM   #1
Zak Smith

I received my application for a non-resident Florida CCW in the mail a while back. I noticed that it has a field for my Social Security Number.

In the packet, it does not explicitly say this must be filled in (like it says "POB, SEX, RACE, HGT, WGT, etc must all be filled out") -- however, it says this:

"The section titled Social Security No. _SOC_ is for your social security number if you have one, and is very important."

Now, my limited understanding of the Privacy Act of 1974 is that when the gov't requests my SSN, they must disclose whether or not it is optional, and if it is not, by what statutory authority it is solicited. Since I didn't find any of that in the packet, nor does it say my SSN is required, am I to conclude that it is, in fact, optional?

Has anyone else applied for a FL CCW and knows the answer to this question?

thanks!
Zak

(A FL CCW is recognized by about 10 other states, including my neighbor Wyoming. AFAIK, the CO CCW is not honored by any other states.)
Old February 25, 2000, 03:01 AM   #2
Espresso

Smithz,

I checked out my copies and I can't find the quote you stated. On the front page of the application on section I It askes for a social security number or a registration number. On the "Certificate of Firearms Profeciency for Statewide Firearm Licence" it just has a field for the student's social security number.

In section I other than Name and address the application only asks for S.S. #, DOB, POB, race, sex, occupation, and phone #.

I just filled it out and sent these forms with the fingerprint cards, insrtuctor sign off, and notory signed affidavit.

Old February 25, 2000, 07:01 AM   #3
jeffelkins

It's to determine that John Smith the honest citizen is not John Smith the hardened criminal. I was told the application would bounce without it.

BTW, many of the states that recognize out-of-state permits stress that you must be a resident of the issuing state.
Old February 25, 2000, 09:53 AM   #4
FUD

smithz,

Florida has a special non-resident CCW permit that anyone can apply for. And while technically you do not have to provide your SSN, if there is another person somewhere in the country who has your name (or something close to it) with something in his past that would prevent him from being issued a CCW permit, you will be treated like that person and be denied and your application fee will be lost since it is non-refundable. With a SSN, this problem is avoided. I guess the question that you have to ask yourself is: do you feel lucky?

------------------
Share what you know, learn what you don't -- FUD.
Old February 25, 2000, 03:33 PM   #5
Jeff OTMG

In Texas they are using it for child support enforcement reasons and have received permission from the SSA for this use. If you do no want to give it there are ways around it. Texas will revoke or deny any and all licenses and certificates if you have been avoiding child support including: drivers licenses, licence plates, plumbing or electrical contracting licenses, CHL, license to practice medicine, etc. Florida may have the restrictions.
Old February 25, 2000, 03:35 PM   #6
Zak Smith

Here's the response I got from the feedback person, Earlene Shores:

I am in receipt of your inquiry. Yes, you are correct, your social security
number is not required to process your application or issue a license. I
hope I have been of assistance.
Old February 25, 2000, 03:39 PM   #7
cruiserman

I don't understand why we put up with giving our our SS numbers. It used to be that the mother's maiden name was used for identification. The only people who need it are you employer and the IRS.
Old February 25, 2000, 08:09 PM   #8
Kathryn

SmithZ,

Do you have a CO ccw? Do you need a CO ccw to get the FL ccw? Does CO honor FL's?

Your neighbor,

Kathryn
Old February 25, 2000, 09:32 PM   #9
Zak Smith

Kathryn,

Yes. No. No. ;-)

However, WY does honor FL's. Check www.packing.org for a mostly-correct reference.

-z