The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 4, 2002, 10:22 PM   #1
Andrew Wyatt

Surefire 6P shock isolated bezel and tape switch

Does anyone know where i can find a shock isolated bezel and tape switch for a surefire 6P? I'm planning on mounting it to a shotgun, and would rather not have the lamp blow out once a shooting session.

I've checked the surefire website, and no parts are listed there.
Old October 4, 2002, 10:29 PM   #2
G3

Try www.lagger-pro.com

These folks will get you set up.
Old October 5, 2002, 10:20 PM   #3
eap

www.sableco.net will be cheaper. they have a large sf selection listed.

even with the shock isolated bezel the batteries will be slamming into the lamp assembly, it may work for a while but will not duplicate a sf forend. i wouldn't bet my life on it.

the forend is where you need it and provides constant on/off and temporary. it's designed as a weapon light for your shotgun.

Last edited by eap; October 6, 2002 at 07:00 AM.
Old October 6, 2002, 01:03 AM   #4
Andrew Wyatt

Well, i suppose i could go ahead and make a surefire lamp/switch compatable body assy out of aluminum. I'm a cheap bastard and can't afford to buy a dedicated light.

I do have a full machine shop available, though.
Old October 6, 2002, 07:01 AM   #5
eap

how much is your life worth? sableco has them for $160, it's not that much more than the 6p, switch and the time and trouble if you try to "rig" something.
Old October 6, 2002, 11:50 AM   #6
Andrew Wyatt

it's not really a vital piece of equipment, since there's another person in the house with a flashlight mounted shotgun, I have a handheld light, and the other person has two.

I seriously doubt this will serve for serious defensive use, but I'd like to have the option of some light, even if it only lasts through the first round of a gunfight.
Old October 6, 2002, 02:34 PM   #7
Size15s

The SureFire Shock Isolated Bezel is part Z32.

Mounted on a standard Surefire, it means that the batteries will indeed smash into Lamp Assembly.

I suggest you get an L60, & U06 to make a "Flashlight" with a tape switch (6" cable) that for a shotgun, you really should use the SureFire SF223A shock isolated battery stick and has a Shock Isolated Bezel.

I'll see if I can come up with some photos for you.

Respectfully,

Al

Last edited by Size15s; October 6, 2002 at 04:13 PM.
Old October 6, 2002, 03:28 PM   #8
G3

Quote:
how much is your life worth?
Boy, I wish I had a dollar everytime somebody used than line on me to justify the overpriced goodies. How come you don't hire some ex SEaLs to protect you and your family 24/7? I mean how much is your life worth

Last edited by G3; October 6, 2002 at 06:58 PM.
Old October 8, 2002, 10:05 AM   #9
Dave P

how much is your life worth?

I'm with g3 on this line of reasoning.

It is very close to the "if it saves only one life" mentality that takes way our rights and freedom one step at a time.
Old October 9, 2002, 04:48 PM   #10
eap

.....and the cheapskate section checks in.
Old October 9, 2002, 08:52 PM   #11
Andrew Wyatt

which one? I'm very unwilling to spend 160 dollars for something that doesn't go bang and spit bullets out the end.
Old October 10, 2002, 12:50 PM   #12
[email protected]
Wise Guy

There's a big difference between $160 for a light that will actually *work* and hiring Ex SEALs for $240,000 a year. But if you want to go to extremes - why are those of you who don't like them even posting here? Your bodyguards should be taking care of your every need and you should be vacationing in Rio.

Andrew, which shotgun are you putting the light on?

If you want to have some soup sandwich rig hanging off your firearm, waste all the time associated with making it, be my guest. You are still going to be out a flashlight that you could be using when not carrying the shotgun about. The parts are going to wind up costing almost as much as a purpose designed forearm, and won't be as secure. Remember, for a shotgun you are going to need a tape switch, coiled cord, shock isolated bezel, mounting ring, 223 shock resistant batteries, etc.

$160 is chickenfeed compared to not having it and needing it during an actual situation. A tac light should be high on your list of upgrades for any shotgun - higher than a sidesaddle IMHO.

Kevin
Old October 10, 2002, 03:26 PM   #13
RKCheung

Quote:
go bang and spit bullets out the end.
Sounds like what happens to me after I eat too many MRE's...
Old October 10, 2002, 11:45 PM   #14
Andrew Wyatt

I think I'll put the "mount a lashlight on my shotgun" project off until i have 160 dollars for a good flashlight.

having a flashlight on that particular shotgun isn't a terribly high proprity, because there's already a ready shotgun with a light on it.

I'm not endangering my life any by not having a flashlight on my gun.
Old October 12, 2002, 07:47 PM   #15
G3

Well Spark and Eap,

It's called a sarcastic response to a tired gun culture cliche' like "a pistol is only for fighting your way back to your rifle which you shouldn't have left behind in the first place." Both cliches sound cute, but neither are truthful.

If you noticed, I did tell the original poster where he could get the gear.

I am far from a cheapskate when it comes to buying quality gear.
I own 4 Surefire handhelds and spent ~$300 for a Surefire rifle weapon light. I spend alot more money on training and gear than most shooters I know.

Yet, from my experience high price does not neccessarily equal high quality. Three out of five of my Surefires have failed to work out the box for more than a few seconds and a few rounds downrage. Several times when the Surefires got knocked around in normal use they have broke. Do you know the joy of spending hundreds of dollars for a weaponlight and then having the brand spanking new light go t!ts up during a hostage scenario at a rifle class? Luckily I knew Surefires were unreliable and brought along my $20 spare lamp assembly.

To put it bluntly, Surefires are not a good value for the money. Their QC has problems, but the customer service is very good. Surefire will replace the defective bulbs for free, but that doesn't help me when the fragile things break when I need them.

I have had the service reps lie to me year after year telling me they have never heard of any problems with premature burnout of their bulbs.

The reasons Surefire can charge their exorbitant prices are due to lack of competition, flashy ads, and their brand name.

My run of the mill Streamlight Scorpions have survived multiple drops on concrete, being wacked against door frames, and everyone of them have worked right out of the box. Oh yeah, replacement bulbs are only $4 compared to $20 for a 6p.

I have mounted regular $40 Scorpions to AK-47s, and a few 7.62 NATO rifles, and have put thousands of rounds threw them w/o a problem.

Surefire really needs to spend more money on making their lights more robust and more reliable than making the lightsaber BS they seem infatuated with.
Old October 12, 2002, 09:16 PM   #16
[email protected]
Wise Guy

So what you are saying is that you don't test all of your equipment before you need it? Or don't have spares on hand for common problems? [shrug]

I've sold about $200,000 worth of SureFire products this year and can remember only one phone call about a problem - a defective lamp assembly. If SureFire was just concerned with the bottom line, they wouldn't have held back the 10X Dominator so long because of it's "unreported" and "unknown" problems.

If someone else was out there making better products, I'd be selling it. Until then, SureFire is the best solution out there.

Kevin
Old October 13, 2002, 04:17 AM   #17
EricO

Just an fyi, that price quoted for the dedicated Surefire forend is a fabulous one. I've been putting off purchasing one for my customized Marine Mag. 870 for some time now, perhaps now is the time. Thanks for the link.
For what it's worth, there is also a company by the name of Quik2see (?) that markets an interesting weapon light setup that maybe promising. Not enough feedback from serious users yet to base any opinions.
A few yrs. back I took a handgun course from a Don Lazzerini (Santa Clara, CA PD, Best of the West ind. winner) who said that he was working on fabricating a dedicated forend (perhaps similar to the Surefire unit?) that a Stinger (body mounted switch) would fit into. User would activate through a simple hole in the forend which would mate up to the swith in the forend. (Hopefully I got that correct) Sounded interesting and promising. The light could be dismounted quickly and easily for handheld use. Nothing ever came of it apparently.
EricO
Old October 13, 2002, 01:04 PM   #18
G3

Boy Sparkevin, I must I have touched a nerve. No one can blaspheme the tactical/gun industry sacred gods.

Luckily, you're here to dispense your "unbiased" advice. Thanks for setting us all straight.
Old October 13, 2002, 04:20 PM   #19
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Keep telling yourself that. I could care less either way what you think. Am I unbiased? No, I'm not. Doesn't make me wrong.

Actually, wait a second, I sell Streamlight products too, and actually have a higher profit margin with them than SureFire. The SureFire is just better overall.

Look, you can play all the games you want to, or try to assign bias or anything else. The facts still shine through - SureFire is the best option currently available. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Kevin
Old October 13, 2002, 04:46 PM   #20
eap

LOL.........haven't heard the "pipe" reference in a while.

ease up fellas. sf does have the best product currently available. their products, like anybody elses, can and will fail from time to time. some sf's have failed out of the box or shortly thereafter, it's always the lamp assembly. the majority will serve you well.

it does piss me off to shell out hard earned dollars for a pricey item and have it fail out of the box. but i'm glad it failed up front and not later.