The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 13, 2002, 01:45 PM   #1
FlyboyAZ

What makes Muzzel Blast

I have been wanting to buy a small calliber rifle for rabits, coyote and some target shooting. I was impresed with the 22 Hornet becasue of it's modest report (noise) but want a more common and powerful calliber. The 223 is very common but louder a report. I will be reloading and want to know if it is possible to reload a 223 lightly so that it will be quite like 22Hornet and still reasonably effective. This would allow me to have a gun I can load up hot for acurate target or lightly for small game hunting/hiking. Noise is a problem because I don't want to kill my ears.

Fire away guys and let me know the reloading potential of the 223.
Old February 13, 2002, 01:55 PM   #2
VTR996

I use 15gr of 2400 w/.55 sp bullet for light .223...Look at M.D. Smith reloading pages, I think that's where I got my info. from.
Old February 13, 2002, 02:05 PM   #3
ryucasta

Any caliber can be loaded lightly, the questions I put forward to you is are these loads going to be fired from a Simi-automatic weapon like an AR15, Mini 14 or a bolt gun like a Remington 700.

This is important information, since you weren’t specific for example if it’s a Semi do you need the load to cycle gun. Do you want it to be Sub-Sonic so as to not scare the game? As far as accuracy is concerned what ranges are you planning to shoot at < 100 yards or greater.

The more details you provide, the better.
Old February 13, 2002, 03:59 PM   #4
FlyboyAZ

More specifics

Thanks for the quick responces.

I am looking at a Remington 700 ADL or possible a Ruger. This makes cycling not an issue. The shooting that I would want the lighter loads for would be quick draw shooting while hiking through broken terain. I don't imagine a shot longer than 50 yards tops. For longer shooting at say 200 yards for groundsquirrels I would use ear plugs and sound would not be an issue.

What kind of accuracy can be expected of a quiet load? I haven't thought of subsonic so if ryucasta could explain more I would appreciate it. Are they effective against large Jacks and what is their effective range?

VTR996, Thanks for the suggestion. I will have to give it a try. How quiet is this load, what is the velocity FPS, and what do you use it for?

Any recipes for favorite 223 loads would also be appreciated.
Old February 13, 2002, 04:57 PM   #5
ryucasta

For subsonic loads you would need to use a fast burning handgun powder like Vihtavouri 310 or 320.

Refer to the following website for more info on sub-sonic loads for center fire rifle cartridges. http://guns.connect.fi/gow/arcane1.html

Now regarding the 200-yard shots you plan on making. What twist rate will your barrel have? This being due to the fact that bullets over 62 grain will not stabilize in a rifle with anything greater that a 1/9 twist. For example I currently have a Winchester Model 70 Heavy Varmint that I re-barreled with a 1/6 twist for 80-grain VLD bullets.