The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 25, 2014, 07:56 PM   #51
Peter M. Eick

Heck, my Beeman 400 was $400 back in 1980. I have no idea what that would be today, a couple thousand?

Why do we buy them?

Did your rifle come with a 5 shot factory target like this?

Did your rifle come with a 5.5 onz factory trigger? Actually I turned it up. It used to be 2 onz and that was a bit light.

5 shots per bull, 10 m shot in a competition. Admittedly my best shooting ever but hey that is what precision air rifle is all about.

So why spend thousands on a precision air rifle? Because if you wanted to compete back in the day it was either the Dianawerk 75's (my Beeman 400 was a clone) or the FWB 300's. You did not win without one.
Old February 25, 2014, 11:22 PM   #52
Jimro

I'd love to find a Diana 75, FWB300, or best of all a Walther LGR at some garage sale.

Still, I should pick up a few more Daisy 853's from the CMP while they are still around. They will shoot tight, and it is fun to go SSP vs. SSP with a friend.

Jimro
Old February 25, 2014, 11:36 PM   #53
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
I'd love to find a Diana 75, FWB300, or best of all a Walther LGR at some garage sale.
Keep looking.

They do turn up from time to time on the used market. That's how I bought my FWB 300 some years back. In fact, one sold on ebay just a month or so ago.
Old February 26, 2014, 06:41 AM   #54
B.L.E.

Peter M. Eick, or someone else who shoots competitive air rifle, what kind of backer do they use on those targets to make nice clean bullet holes instead of difficult to score bullet tears on the paper?
Old February 26, 2014, 10:46 AM   #55
Jimro

Quote:
what kind of backer do they use on those targets to make nice clean bullet holes instead of difficult to score bullet tears on the paper?
First off you get better holes from actual target paper targets. The paper has the fibers arranged in a manner to have nice round holes cut in it. I've been using the ISSF/NRA 10m targets from National Target. A pack of 100 is pretty cheap considering you get 12 bulls per sheet.

My last match there were no backers on the targets, they were held in place by clips and gravity. We had no issues scoring. If that doesn't work for you, double wall cardboard seems to work as a backer.

Second, you have to use wadcutter pellets, domed or pointed pellets will make ragged holes.

Jimro
Old February 27, 2014, 12:53 PM   #56
seanc

I've tried heavy card stock and printed targets from my computer, but you still get tears. I use those for most of my practicing and every once in a while use the good targets to really see how tight I'm getting.

The Daisy/Avanti 753/853/953's are a bargain. Every home should have at least one .

ETA: Peter M. Eick ---> Damn! Nice shooting.

ETA: Article evaluating Daisy 953
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2009/...ro-part-1.html

Last edited by seanc; February 27, 2014 at 01:01 PM.
Old February 27, 2014, 07:09 PM   #57
Garycw

Daisy isn't a name I would associate with a quality air rifle. I've shot them plenty when I was a kid & wore a couple out
Old February 27, 2014, 10:00 PM   #58
gk1

The Avanti line is definitely not a Red Ryder. While "quality" may not be the best word to describe them, they perform well above both their price and most expectations.
Old February 28, 2014, 06:24 AM   #59
Garycw

Why do people spend $300+ on a pellet rifle?

I started out with the red Ryder around 6yo.and completely wore it out. When I was upgraded the following Christmas with the Winchester model 94 version, I was ready for big game haha. 55 years later.. I still have it! A little loose & beat up, but still works... Kind of. I wouldn't trade my RWS for anything. The Steoger isn't bad either, just no comparison with the RWS in quality

Last edited by Garycw; February 28, 2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old February 28, 2014, 09:30 AM   #60
mapsjanhere

Just realized my RWS 48 nowadays qualifies for this thread. Short answer - because it feels like a real rifle and doesn't fall under the "no firearms in the city" rules.
Old February 28, 2014, 06:09 PM   #61
DannyB1954

Pellet ammo is a lot cheaper and easier to get these days than .22lr, and the neighbors don't get bent out of shape when I set up a pellet gun range in the back yard.

Ravens have just been declared a pest in my town, so maybe I will hunt them when they are on the ground, ( in the air the pellet could still do damage to something or someone else if it went through, or I missed).
Old March 1, 2014, 01:37 PM   #62
RC20

My wife is interested in a air rifle that matches the Lewis and Clark rifle ( .35 caliber or so, doesn't have to be a .5 or bigger)

No she does not want to hunt, but she wants one in that category.

What would be a good accurate one and what caliber offered in something in 60- $800 range and 50 yards?.

It wold have to have good accuracy but not match grade. Satisfaction part.

I am thinking air tank as she can't do the pump stuff but I could so would consider a pump type.

This area is not close to my expertise as is probably obvious so no problem with being educated.

Last edited by RC20; March 1, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
Old March 1, 2014, 02:27 PM   #63
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimro
First off you get better holes from actual target paper targets. The paper has the fibers arranged in a manner to have nice round holes cut in it. I've been using the ISSF/NRA 10m targets from National Target. A pack of 100 is pretty cheap considering you get 12 bulls per sheet.

My last match there were no backers on the targets, they were held in place by clips and gravity. We had no issues scoring. If that doesn't work for you, double wall cardboard seems to work as a backer.

Second, you have to use wadcutter pellets, domed or pointed pellets will make ragged holes.

Jimro
Maybe the higher velocity of air rifles has something to do with it. Where I was having trouble with was air pistol, around 400 fps. Even glued to cardboard, using 3-M Super 77 aerosol contact adhesive, I would get some hard to score hits.
I finally did something completely different. I used solid steel plate for a backer. The pellets just flatten and stick where they hit leaving nice round holes. I even had a perfect double once that was easy to prove because two pellets were welded together on that hole.
I imagine that in the Olympics, they use a new target for every shot, or maybe some high tech elecronic hit scoring device.
Old March 1, 2014, 04:26 PM   #64
Jimro

At the olympics they use electronic target scoring with a moving paper witness. Same as if you shoot at Camp Perry's 10m range. Use them once and you get spoiled, instant feedback, no target changes, and printable shot by shot record.

Jimro
Old March 1, 2014, 06:00 PM   #65
Peter M. Eick

The backer is just hard cardboard. They were fired at 10m in 3 position. I think the best target was from Standing which was my specialty back then but to be honest it was now 34 years ago that I was shooting competitively.

I looked at the 300s that was sold last month. I decided to pass on it for various reasons. I know I am still on the hunt for a 300 or another 75 maybe.

By the way, if you believe the CPI (inflation calculator) then my gun today would have costs about $1150.
Old March 1, 2014, 11:58 PM   #66
Jimro

Quote:
My wife is interested in a air rifle that matches the Lewis and Clark rifle ( .35 caliber or so, doesn't have to be a .5 or bigger)

No she does not want to hunt, but she wants one in that category.

What would be a good accurate one and what caliber offered in something in 60- $800 range and 50 yards?.

It wold have to have good accuracy but not match grade. Satisfaction part.

I am thinking air tank as she can't do the pump stuff but I could so would consider a pump type.

This area is not close to my expertise as is probably obvious so no problem with being educated.
Crosman Marauder PCP in 25 caliber would be my first choice, as if she isn't hunting and you are looking for 50 yard accuracy.

If it is really a 35 caliber or bigger she wants, then I would just recommend you read the reviews between this http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Evanix...0/5818#Reviews and http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sam_Ya...1/4996#Reviews or the sam Sam Yang with a bigger reservoir http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Sam_Ya...Specifications as they seem to be the only two options in your price range.

Jimro
Old March 3, 2014, 09:17 PM   #67
darkgael

air

Benjamin Marauder....a fine gun.
In .357, your choices are limited to Evanix and Sam Yang.
I recommend a carbon fiber tank if you go with either.
Those big bullets use a lot of air.
Keep a hand pump for back up.
Between the cost of a high pressure pump and a high pressure carbon tank....you have doubled your investment.

Pete
Old March 3, 2014, 10:23 PM   #68
JohnKSa
Staff

There's an FWB 300 for sale on ebay right now. External condition looks pretty rough.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Feinwerkbau-...item54058613dc
Old March 4, 2014, 02:41 PM   #69
Stevie-Ray

Well, my air rifle is a Sheridan pneumatic, that I got for my birthday at 13. It is a great rifle for shooting in a basement or garage, where a firearm needs proper ventilation. It is also amazingly accurate, or rather used to be when my eyes were 13 instead of 58. It's still fun shooting off my deck, though.

I wouldn't mind having a modern one in .177 cal.
Old March 4, 2014, 10:42 PM   #70
JohnKSa
Staff

Stevie-Ray,

Williams makes an aperture receiver sight (the 5D-SH model) for the Sheridan rifles. Most of the older Sheridans (maybe all of them?) are already pre-drilled for installation of the peep sight. They're a nice addition to the rifle, especially for someone whose eyes (like mine) are starting to complain about open sights.

I have one of my air rifles equipped with a Williams aperture sight and a Merit adustable aperture similar to the #4 Hunting disc in the link below. It screws into the Williams sight and allows the aperture size to be adjusted to suit the lighting conditions. In bright lighting, you can screw it down to a pinhole to improve the clarity of the target and front sight. Or in dim light, you can open it up a little--accuracy will suffer a bit but at least you'll be able to see the front sight and target.

http://www.meritcorporation.com/products.html

If you really want to go all out, Merit even makes an aperture with a place to install a custom prescription lens.
Old March 5, 2014, 01:23 AM   #71
Slopemeno

That's a pretty sleeper hunting rig. A friend of mine had one of the nickeled Sheridans set up that way, and I borrowed it frequently.
Old March 7, 2014, 12:09 AM   #72
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Stevie-Ray,

Williams makes an aperture receiver sight (the 5D-SH model) for the Sheridan rifles. Most of the older Sheridans (maybe all of them?) are already pre-drilled for installation of the peep sight. They're a nice addition to the rifle, especially for someone whose eyes (like mine) are starting to complain about open sights.
Sweeet! I've always wanted to stop in to Williams Gunsight, whenever I go by it. Now, I've got the perfect reason to. Thanks, John!
Old March 7, 2014, 12:26 AM   #73
JohnKSa
Staff

Found a picture of my Sheridan with the 5D-SH installed.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachmen...1&d=1051498983
Old March 7, 2014, 12:29 AM   #74
Stevie-Ray

Very nice. Looks like just what I need, and not a bad price, either!
Old March 16, 2014, 03:17 PM   #75
Peter M. Eick

I had my Sheridan Silver Streak set up just the same way. I actually took it to Williams for the install since I lived in the general area of downstate michigan.

Unfortunately, like nearly all of my guns, it had to be sold to get through my undergrad in college. Excellent gun and very fun to shoot.

Of that vintage, I only have my Diamondback and my Beeman 400 (shown above) that I would not sell (or more accurately, I graduated before I had to).