The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 10, 2011, 08:38 PM   #1
boostedtt91

staked primer pockets

I went to reload some .223 rounds today and most of the primer pockets are screwed up from the factory staking the primer in. What is the point if this? Why is this only done on 223 brass? Its gonna be a pita to have to reamer every piece of brass just to reload. Plus it destroyed my rcbs dies, bent the **** out if my decapper. Federal brass seems to be the worst, but the remington brass isnt staked along with a few other companies. Why do some stake and others dont.
Old October 10, 2011, 08:45 PM   #2
wncchester

Military rifle cases have crimped primers in 5.56, 7.65 and, in the old days, .30-06. It's done for use in full auto weapons that may open when chamber pressure is still high enough to blow the primers out and jam the action.

Get a crimp remover reamer or swager.
Old October 10, 2011, 09:03 PM   #3
res45

When I do mil-spec case with crimped primer I use the Lee Universal decapper die. The decapper rod and pin are built a bit stronger and is easily replaced if broken and much cheaper. So far I haven't broken one yet in several years of use.

For removing the primer pocket crimp I use the Hornady primer pocket reamer head sold separately chucked up in my cordless drill. You can do a couple hundred an hour pretty easy. http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/804...reamer-package
Old October 10, 2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Jbotto

What are some other good tools from removing the crimp?
Old October 10, 2011, 10:39 PM   #5
Steel Talon

Quote:
What are some other good tools from removing the crimp
RCBS SWAGER Combo http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/447...t-swager-combo

Dillon Super swage 600 (the absolute cadillac of swagers)http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/con...uper_Swage_600
Old October 10, 2011, 11:50 PM   #6
Edward429451

I have the RCBS primer pocket swager kitand it works very well but you must remember to seperate your brass by headstamp, and for LC brass this means by year also. Failing to sort the brass will result in Bending the swaging rod. I'm on my 3rd rod so have learned very well by now to pay attention to headstamp.
Old October 11, 2011, 12:49 AM   #7
maggys drawers

An RCBS case prep center removes crimps well. It's still tough on the fingers after the first 100, but nowhere near hand reaming 100 primer pockets tough.

My buddy has one and I use it more than he does.
Old October 11, 2011, 12:39 PM   #8
boostedtt91

what would be the better tool for this, the primer pocket reamer or the primer pocket swager kit? Is it hard to use the hand held reamer and still get a perfect pocket size without ruining it to where the primers don't fit anymore
Old October 11, 2011, 05:43 PM   #9
res45

Quote:
Is it hard to use the hand held reamer and still get a perfect pocket size without ruining it to where the primers don't fit anymore
I guess it possible but I've done over 1K cases and had no issues. The Hornady tool is already set to the correct depth for L and S primer pockets you can't cut the pocket any deeper. The cutter is on the sides and cuts the pockets to SAMMI specifications,but I've noticed very little brass being remove from the inside of the primer pocket.

The bevel portion of the cutter remover just enough brass to remove the crimp ring. I've using it with LC 7.62 x 51 brass and Win. 9mm NATO.
Old October 11, 2011, 05:56 PM   #10
Steel Talon

Quote:
what would be the better tool for this, the primer pocket reamer or the primer pocket swager kit? Is it hard to use the hand held reamer and still get a perfect pocket size without ruining it to where the primers don't fit anymore
As long as you have a single stage press.The RCBS SWAGER KIT would be the easiest of the two. After the swage the primer pockets are nice and uniform. Primers fit nice and snug.
Old October 11, 2011, 06:11 PM   #11
m&p45acp10+1

For primer pocket crimp removal the Lyman case prep combo will do the job just fine. I think I paid around $20 for it. It has the chamfer, deburring tool, large, and small primer pocket cleaning tool. and large, and small primer pocket reaming tool. I use it and it works just fine for .223 Rem. . I have noticed a lot of Federal, and PMC brass that have crimped primer pockets. As well as Lake City.
Old October 11, 2011, 07:32 PM   #12
res45

If you really want to go cheap just use your Chamfering tool,it will do the same thing just slower.
Old October 11, 2011, 07:41 PM   #13
NESHOOTER

I have used the Hornady a tremdous cramping of the hands for anything over 200, the Lyman about the same as the Hornady then/w power driver better but the hand holding the case gets just as cramped sooooooooo, I just purchased the RCBS swager and it takes alittle more time getting aligned to the swaging rod but it just maybe what the doc ordered.
Old October 11, 2011, 09:52 PM   #14
Miata Mike

I have a Dillon Super swage 600 and love it. I get very sick of all the trimming.