The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 4, 2010, 05:56 PM   #1
TylerD45ACP

12G #1 Buck

What are your thoughts on #1 Buck. I think it offers a near perfect balance between mass and projectile amount. What do you think, my 1st choice is 00B because its hard to find #1 around here. I can get 12 pellet 2 3/4" 00B so that seems to be more than enough. Just wanted to hear any thoughts on the subject of #1 Buck.
Old August 4, 2010, 06:18 PM   #2
NeroBrandt

I use #1 buck for my 16 gauge. 12 pellets in each shell. I have no problems with it.
Old August 4, 2010, 07:42 PM   #3
TylerD45ACP

Its seems really cool. I wish I could find it regularly. BTW, do you reload shotshells? Do you do combos of say #1 and 00B or #1 and 00B. Put them in a shotshell together. That sounds cool, don't know much about reloading.
Old August 4, 2010, 07:53 PM   #4
hank327

I like #1 Buck. You get 16 .30 caliber pellets of #1 Buck in a 2 3/4 inch shell versus 9 (or 8) .33 caliber pellets of 00 Buck in the same hull. What's not to like about getting almost twice the number of only slightly smaller pellets?

From tests I've seen, #1 Buck penetrates slightly less than 00 Buck but only by an inch or so as I recall. For home defense, this probably is a plus for the #1. For me there are a couple of disadvantages to using #1 over 00 Buck and neither result from it's performance. The first as you mentioned is that it's hard to find #1 Buck locally. The only #1 Buck I've found locally is S&B #1 and that brand only has 12 pellets in its load. To get the Remington or Winchester 16 pellet load, I have to order it online and thus it's more expensive due to the shipping charges. The other disadvantage that comes to mind is that all the #1 Buck loadings I've seen are pretty basic. The S&B load is unplated dead soft lead with no buffering or shot cup. The Remington and Winchester loads also contain unplated shot but they are buffered.
You can't get #1 Buck in sophisticated loads such as the Federal Flitecontrol or Hornady's version.

But for the vast majority of home defense situations, the range is so short that the basic #1 Buck loads will work just fine. I doubt a bad guy will sneer at you after being hit by a load of S&B #1 Buck. So I keep my HD shotgun loaded with #1 Buck most of the time while keeping some 00 Buck in reserve.
Old August 4, 2010, 08:04 PM   #5
TylerD45ACP

Cool thanks. Im going to get some #1 because I like it and keep that. Like we were saying its hard to find, so I'll probably order some online. Have some #1Buck in bulk. Then stick to 00B-000B for easy to get primary use. I like the Law Enforcement 00B I found thats 12 pellets no reduced load either. Thats what I stick with for now.
Old August 5, 2010, 03:25 PM   #6
clemsonal

#1 buck

read this www.chuckhawks.com/home_defense_shotgun_ammo.htm
Old August 5, 2010, 04:38 PM   #7
Charles Ellis

At one time Federal produced a 2 3/4 in mag load of #1 buck that contained 24 pellets.It was my favorite buckshot load.I guess I was about the only one that like it.It was discontinued many years ago.I now keep my HD shotgun loaded with Federal's 2 3/4 in mag load of #4 buckshot.34 pellets It may not penetrate enough for some,but I like the way that pattern looks on silhouette targets.The upper body coverage is awsome at close range.
Old August 5, 2010, 04:50 PM   #8
skydiver3346

#1 Buckshot

I love #1 buck for home defense in my model 870 .12GA. It shoots a great pattern out of my 18" barrel.

For deer hunting, I love the 000 size buckshot. Packs a hell of a wallop and patterns great out of my model 11-87 shotgun.
Old August 5, 2010, 05:06 PM   #9
publius

I agree, I think it is the perfect comprimise of size and number of pellets.
Old August 5, 2010, 05:50 PM   #10
Rampant_Colt

I think it recoils too hard for fast follow-up shots..
Reduced recoil buckshot is the greatest thing since sliced bread, IMO

Number 1 and 0 buckshot available here:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=202728
Old August 5, 2010, 06:13 PM   #11
hank327

Quote:
Number 1 and 0 buckshot available here:
I just tried to order some of the Winchester Super X #1 Buck and was told it is out of stock. Natchez Shooter's Supply does have both the Remington and Winchester flavors of #1 Buck in stock at the moment.
Old August 5, 2010, 06:46 PM   #12
TylerD45ACP

Ahhh. I know its hard to find #1 on line never mind in stores. I wish they (ammo company's) would seriously consider making a 2 3/4" #1 Buck 20 pellet ( I bet 4 more could fit). Is there any way to petition, that we like #1 lol. Really I would like to see more of it. I always used to think 00B was it, everyone (goofs I mean who dont know shotguns) says it like its the only buckshot load there is. Then I got more into shotguns and decided that I liked this #1B idea. Even #4B for certain senarios. However, I think if #1B was as prolific as 00B I would be buying that instead. Id still have 00B and Slug for flavor, but primarily it would be #1B. I mean its called #1 how does it get any better .
Old August 7, 2010, 06:19 PM   #13
Rampant_Colt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hank327
I just tried to order some of the Winchester Super X #1 Buck and was told it is out of stock. Natchez Shooter's Supply does have both the Remington and Winchester flavors of #1 Buck in stock at the moment.
Naturally..

Natchez has never let me down

Number 1 and 0 12 gauge buckshot loads are good for folks who can stand heavy recoil, or those with Knox stocks.
I believe the 2-3/4" number 1 buffered buckshot load weighs around 1-3/4 or 1-7/8 .. OUCH!

Last edited by Rampant_Colt; August 7, 2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old August 7, 2010, 07:08 PM   #14
CajunBass

It's been a while since I've bought any buckshot, but IIRC, the 2 3/4" magnum load of Number 1 buck was 21 pellets. The 3" load was 24.

Three inch, Number 1 (through a modified choke) was my go to load for deer hunting back when I was seriously hunting deer with hounds. I also felt it was the perfect compromise between number of pellets in the pattern, and size of the individual pellets. A lot of the fellows I hunted with agreed with me. Number 1 was far and away the most popular load. I never lost a deer with Number 1, and only had to shoot one more than twice. The first shot would put the deer down, the second was was the "kill shot." Most shots were in the 20-25 yard range.

I've still got some of those shells from the old days.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 7, 2010, 08:24 PM   #15
TylerD45ACP

The more I think on it, the more I like #1. I alway been pretty good when it comes to handling recoil. Im 5' 8" 170lbs and I can handle a full power 12G better that my 5' 10" 220lb uncle. It sure does beat up your shoulder though. Maybe I got a better stance than him or something but with a 870 Marine Mag I can hit targets alot faster than him.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:42 AM   #16
Fifth Wheel

I used to carry #1 buck in my 870. It's a great load for a fight up close. But I took it out to the desert once and patterned it along with some 00. The bottom line was that the #1 was only effective out to, say, 10-15 yards. Beyond that, the pattern spread so much that it seemed worthless to me beyond 10-15 yards. The 00 stayed tighter much farther out. I guess you need to figure out what you are going to use it for. But I prefer a pattern that enables me to reach out to 30 yards or so and, because of that, I stick with 00 or 000. I also like the added penetration of 00 and 000.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:47 AM   #17
Mike Irwin
Staff

For some reason No. 1 buck is hard to find at the gunshops in my area.

A long time ago, however, I zeroed in on No. 4 buck for my home shotguns with S&B 00 buck in a carrier on the stock.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 9, 2010, 02:15 PM   #18
TylerD45ACP

Fifth - Thanks that was informative. I'll stick to 00B for now until I can find some good #1 for the home. I might just stick to 12 pellet 00B anyway I like the longer range.
Old August 9, 2010, 05:20 PM   #19
clemsonbloz

while I am not a fan of #1 buck,, It is effective way beyond 15 yards.. I deer hunt with shotguns and buckshot(have been for 25+ years),, and I have killed a few with # 1 buck,, but my father has killed better than a hundred with it,, and most shots are from the 30-60 yard range..He was a # 1 buck fan, until they got hard to find in the early 90's.

A 2 3/4 mag # 1 is a 20 pellet load(if buffered), and a 00B is 12 pellets.. The energy retention is just alot better with 00B, and it seems to pattern better because there are less pellets..

Unless you have a pretty reliable supply of #1 buck,, I'd just start to love 00B and never look back..

But, to each his own!
Old August 9, 2010, 06:05 PM   #20
TylerD45ACP

Thats the plan lol. If I can find some #1 I'll get it for some flavor. You say you were making 60yd shots with it, Cylinder Bore? I never figured Id be shooting past 40yards with a shotgun unless thats all I had. Like to hear more about some of those shots and patterns. I have little experience with #1, i think I shot it twice,(20rds maybe) even though I got some. Wanted to keep most of it .

Last edited by TylerD45ACP; August 9, 2010 at 06:32 PM.
Old August 9, 2010, 07:07 PM   #21
clemsonbloz

We deer hunt with hounds here,, and use shotguns with buckshot.. I've killed deer at 10 paces,, and as far out as 98 paces(I am 6'4'', so I have almost 3 foot paces)..
Now I've never used cylinder bore,, but I have killed a ton of deer with an improved cylinder(out to the 50 or so yard range),, and I killed the 98 pace deer with a full choke A-5 browning with winchester super double X 2 3/4 00B mags.. There were 12 pellets in the shell,, and I found 8 holes in the deer,,, from tip to butt..

I usually use a modified choke,, as too much choke can distort the buckshot, and actually open your pattern up(plated buckshot is a little more forgiving in a tight choke),, but if you pattern a mod choke and a full choke at 45 yards(that is the avg shot when hunting with the dogs),, there is maybe a pellet or two change between them..

turkey chokes are a no-no, and don't make a tighter pattern with buckshot, no matter what anyone says.. Those chokes are made for 2-6 shot size...