The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 7, 2009, 09:58 PM   #1
Nodak1858

Pyrodex pellets, any users?

Long time reader finally got registered. All the reading made me head out to the range today. I got a good deal on the 30 grain Pyrodex pellets for my '58 remmie. I shot 48 rounds or so, they shot well with no misfires. They seemed to have more of a kick than loose Pyrodex P powder. Has any one else had any luck with these? I read in the instruction that you are not supposed to crush the pellets but I don't think the chamber has enough length to set a wad and a ball. Maybe I'm not doing it right, I've always shot loose powder before.
Old September 8, 2009, 05:54 AM   #2
M&P40

Can't speak for the 30 grain but 50 grain Pyrodex is all I use in my T/C Omega. I like the performance of the powder and luv that smell Your are right you don't want to crush those pellets. If your gun went boom 48 out of 48 times then your doing it right!!!
Old September 8, 2009, 04:38 PM   #3
williamfeldmann

When I bought my first pistol about 9 years ago I bought two tins of the pellets that you mention. I figured if nothing else it was 200 shots and if I didn't like it I didn't have a bunch of stuff laying around.

They will work for easy shooting and quick loading, however, pyrodex is dirty and it will gum up the gun quicker.

If you are really into shooting, you should definetly try the real stuff. a pound of real black, even with the added cost of shipping is WAY cheaper than shooting pellets. You will get more powder and oomph into each load along with more consistent loading for consistent shot placement. And black is easier to clean and cleaner in general meaning more shots before gum up.
Old September 8, 2009, 05:58 PM   #4
scottycoyote

like the other poster, i cant speak for 30's but i got into blackpowder hunting about 8 years ago and ive never used anything but the 50 grain pellets (mo lose powder ever). I like them, easy, convenient and one less thing i have to worry with.