The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Muller Chokes.....

I recently had the pants beaten off me at Sporting Clays by a nice young guy named Chris Ford. While he shot a Perazzi that day, he showed me a set of chokes for his K gun made by Muller.

These are different. Ceramics over aluminum instead of steel or titanium. Some advantages are cited by the maker and supported by Mr Ford.

These include light weight, superior patterns with less density at the center and more in the fringes, easy cleaning and they do not loosen up as you shoot.

They're certainly light. I held two in my hand and one of my Angle Port tubes in the other. Two Mullers are less than one steel tube. And while pricey at $75 each, they are cheaper than titanium chokes. And a set for the Beretta's 32" barrels may add some agility I lost going to extended tubes.

I may tell the family to get me a set for the Holidays.

Input?

Thanks in advance.....
Old May 29, 2012, 08:00 PM   #2
davery25

strange that there were no responses. I've only recently got into sporting clays and shotguns, and from research Muller chokes seem the way to go. At the very least they won't hurt.

I'll shoot with the Brileys that come with the Browning Grand Prix and then compare them later. Pretty sure im set on a set of Mullers though.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:09 PM   #3
oneounceload

Many folks like to overthink the choke issue. Muellers, while lighter, are no different than any other chokes - a machines tube with a taper, parallel and smaller constriction at one end than the other
Old May 29, 2012, 10:37 PM   #4
Virginian

I've seen them, and shot them, and patterned them - albeit not many. They work as advertised. So do my RemChokes, Carlsons, Colonials, and my Brownings did. I congratulate him on his marketing skills, but he's not getting any of my money. He supplies some shooters with tubes to promote them.
Old May 30, 2012, 02:09 PM   #5
BigJimP

I haven't seen anyone out here in the Northwest using them Dave....

I've heard of them ...but don't know anything about them.
Old May 30, 2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Everyone I've talked to that has Mullers loves them. A couple OCD types I know claim the patterns show less center loading compared to divers other makes. I remain skeptical, but time will tell.

My next major gun related purchase is an AR. Once that's out of the way (and up on the wall) I may spring for a pair of Mullers for the Beretta O/U. l'll let you know how it goes....
Old May 30, 2012, 04:57 PM   #7
BigJimP

We will look forward to your field tests....

an AR ...now that's a waste of good ammo ( in my opinion ) ...

especially when there are so many good shotguns ...and so many good handguns to be purchased...by a discerning man of your taste... ...( an AR --- come on man ) ...???
Old May 30, 2012, 05:38 PM   #8
Slugo

Dave, seriously, they're nothing but another gimmick IMHO. Snake oil at its best. $80 bucks a piece! LOLOL...
Old May 30, 2012, 10:36 PM   #9
zippy13

Slugo, sometimes shotgunning and snake oil are a successful marketing mix -- just look at all the tacti-cool stuff that's available.
Old May 31, 2012, 03:41 AM   #10
682bear

I purchased a set of Muller U2 chokes last year for my K-80. They are definately lighter than any other choke I've owned. I patterned them against my factory Krieghoff IC chokes and couldnt see ANY discernable difference in pattern. None whatsoever.

BUT...

Unlike any other choke system I've owned, (and I've owned several), They do not work loose in the barrel. I still check them occasionally, but they stay tight in the barrel. Also, Mullers claim that they do not build up with fouling is true... They stay clean with no buildup, so cleaning them is as simple as wiping them down.

These two advantages are worth the extra cost of the tubes to me... So even if they don't pattern better... they certainly don't pattern worse... I do recommend them.

My $0.02...

-Bear
Old May 31, 2012, 05:02 AM   #11
Slugo

I've read on occasion where the ceramic chokes have separated and even split. If they don't pattern any better, why then would you spend twice as much. Don't build up gunk, huh, right...
Old May 31, 2012, 09:17 AM   #12
oneounceload

I use a little grease on my chokes and they do not work loose either - and a quick spray with brake cleaner gets the threads and the chokes clean in 10 seconds - the ONLY advantage I see them having is the lighter weight. Even a few ounces, right at the very end of the barrel can have a dramatic effect on swing dynamics, but there are other ways to compensate for that
Old May 31, 2012, 10:39 AM   #13
zippy13

Quote:
I recently had the pants beaten off me at Sporting Clays...
Dave, I hate to tell you; but, I'm guessing you got you pants blown off by what was behind his gun, not by what was in the front.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:47 AM   #14
zippy13

Quote:
Don't build up gunk, huh, right...
It could be, microscopically, that the ceramic surface is much smoother than a metallic choke tube. Wouldn't that account for less residue?

Who knows, the next generation may be shooting shotguns with ceramic lined carbon-fiber barrels. I'm still having a hard time getting used to plastic stocks and alloy receivers.
Old May 31, 2012, 02:53 PM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Jim, that AR is a policy statement.

While I cling to my religion and my guns, I'm certainly not bitter about it.

BTW, Casa McC has a nice collection of handguns also. All Colt and older S&Ws. I don't shoot them much since the cataract surgery.

Slugo, Muller has a 100%, no quesitons asked, return policy. And any probs with splitting seems to be worked out.

Zippy, he was darn good. He'da been good with any shotgun and make of choke. He beat me, not the hardware.

To me the big advantage would be lighter weight. Briley's titanium chokes offer the same, but are even more expensive.
Old May 31, 2012, 04:02 PM   #16
Slugo

100% money back! Give 'em a try then. I guess I'm just old fashioned, only use Briley and Carlson's...
Old May 31, 2012, 07:18 PM   #17
Virginian

I'm not in love with 32" barrels, or two vertical barrels at a time either, so the weight thing is pretty moot.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:55 PM   #18
682bear

"If they don't pattern any better, why then would you spend twice as much. Don't build up gunk, huh, right... "

Ok... tell me where I can get quality aftermarket chokes for a K-80 for $37.50... The Mullers aren't twice as much. And they DON'T get built up with gunk. I have had to scrape the fouling out of my Brileys with an exacto knife before.

Just because you have a personal agenda against Mullers doesn't mean they don't make a good product... but if you like Brileys, then you are free to use Brileys... Nobody is trying to convince you...

-Bear
Old June 1, 2012, 12:20 AM   #19
Virginian

Quote:
Just because you have a personal agenda against Mullers doesn't mean they don't make a good product... but if you like Brileys, then you are free to use Brileys... Nobody is trying to convince you...
Well, let's just say from my side it sounds like you are trying to convince us. As in most such "discussions", no one is likely to change anyone else's mind. You all buy them and enjoy them. We won't.
Old June 1, 2012, 02:03 AM   #20
682bear

Nope... not trying to convince anyone. I was not trying to change anyone's mind. The OP asked for input (opinions and information?) and I offered input that I think was pretty unbiased. I gave my opinion and what I have learned based on experience, both good and bad.

Did I not state that from my experience, they don't pattern any better than factory chokes? And I'm trying to convince you that you can't live without a set? Ok... whatever.

I did say that I recommend them because they stay tight in the gun and stay cleaner than other chokes... but I have never tried to convince anyone, just inform them and answer their questions...

But... I was then pretty much called a liar by a guy that has never owned Muller chokes and has no experience with them. How ironic, huh?

Why do you assume that I care what kind of chokes you or anybody else uses? Is this one of those situations where I can have any opinion I want, just as long as it agrees with yours?

-Bear
Old June 1, 2012, 08:06 AM   #21
oneounceload

Quote:
I have had to scrape the fouling out of my Brileys with an exacto knife before.
That sounds like you don't clean them very often or you are using some recycled plastic wad. I use Brileys, and the worst buildup I have ever had took about 600 rounds to get some started - but a spray with brake cleaner and a bronze brush and they were clean in about 5 seconds.

If you like Mullers, buy them and use them. IMO, the best chokes are the fixed ones in a Perazzi or Superposed barrel.......
Old June 1, 2012, 09:48 AM   #22
Slugo

I'll stick to the old reliables...

Old June 1, 2012, 02:57 PM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I like 32" barrels, but adding another oz or two at the muzzles slows me up a little.

Tubes weighing the same or less as flush mounts that have the long gentle tapers of extended tubes strike me as the best of both worlds.

And less cleaning is a plus. I use the Claybuster clone wads, and buildup is a Pain.

Slugo, those certainly work. However, Briley makes the titanium ones also, same weight advantages.....
Old June 1, 2012, 03:05 PM   #24
Slugo

the weight reduction is infinitesimal, just my ornery opinion...
Old June 1, 2012, 06:46 PM   #25
zippy13

Walking in a parking lot, today, I saw a shiny red MB roadster with grey duct tape on one of its tail lights. The tape look ugly and out of placeā€¦ it reminded me of extended chokes on a shotgun.