The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 20, 2015, 02:03 PM   #51
The Verminator

Quote:
Why do you believe no one noticed it? There's a huge difference between "not noticing" and "not telling you about it"
Oh, the people I'm around would hasten to remark upon it, of that you can be sure.

It's invisible.

This silly myth about the Glock 26 being difficult to pocket-carry is a myth I can easily refute because I do it almost every day.

Now the idiots who go around with this huge bulge on their hip under their shirt--THEY have a SERIOUS problem.

Old March 20, 2015, 03:28 PM   #52
JN01

Quote:
This silly myth about the Glock 26 being difficult to pocket-carry is a myth I can easily refute because I do it almost every day.
But not all of us have clown pants in our wardrobes.

I have actually, on rare occasion, pocket carried a G26 around the house, but it does look like a brick in my pocket. My greater concern, however, is the weight wearing and tearing through the bottom of the pocket lining as most of them are quite thin material.
Old March 20, 2015, 03:35 PM   #53
The Verminator

Rest assured, the pocket bottom is not a concern.

I've had the back right corner of the slide wear a hole in some pants after a lot of carry, but the pants were pretty much worn and ready for replacement by the time that happened.

The bottom of the pocket is well protected by the holster.

I don't wear clown pants. I do wear the good Cabela's hiker pants and they come in a shorts version for summer. I imagine any fairly loose fit work or hunting type pants would do just as well.

The main thing is having a nice, roomy pocket.

I'm six foot and medium build. I suppose if you're really fat and wear your pants tight there might be a problem, but it's worked fine for me.

I do wear clown SHOES, of course, but that's just to intimidate potential attackers.

Old March 20, 2015, 04:03 PM   #54
JN01

The way the top of the pocket is cut makes a big difference as well, if it comes up too high, it is very difficult to draw the gun.
Old March 22, 2015, 08:26 PM   #55
smee78

I want to shoot one before I decide, I am pretty happy with my S&W 3913NL. I know there is a market for these and I'm sure they will sell well. I got rid of my G26 years ago because it was to thick for packet carry and my G19 was only 1/2 longer in the grip and barrel so it never really fit any role for me.
Old March 23, 2015, 07:32 AM   #56
Alnamvet68

Based on my handling of my neighbor's G42, I am going to say this may very well be Glock's first truly pocketable pistol. While my G26 on occasion is carried in a coat pocket in the winter, I never felt it was comfortable being carried in my front cargo pants in warm weather. The G43 is just a whisper larger than the G42, and has a slimmer frame than the G26, so I'll be getting one. My current pocket carry has always been a 642 or a 638, and I'm guessing the G43 will be every bit as comfortable in the pocket as have been my J frames with the "fat" cylinder.

Old March 23, 2015, 09:30 AM   #57
Dashunde

It's bigger than I was hoping for... Before I buy one I'll have to compare it side-by-side to my G27 to see if its worth buying.
Then I'll decide what to add.. the new Glock, new Ruger, or another PM9/PM40
Old March 23, 2015, 01:11 PM   #58
iblong

not a fan of pocket pistols,was hoping for a single stack 19.
I may buy one down the road when the after market start producing +2 mag extentions.I have a shield and xds to fill that niche right now.
Old March 23, 2015, 01:46 PM   #59
skizzums

I don't like or dislike glock. I believe they are reliable pistols as people claim. My friends both have them in 40cal which I dislike, so I have little experience with anything else. To me it is going to come down to price. I am happy with what I have now, but I could get another pocket pistol. But there are so many great options in the 350$ and under range that have proven themselves reliable that I would not spring 4-500$ to have glock on the side of pretty much the same thing everyone else is selling. But they have a die hard fan base, and new shooters always think Glock because they seem to have very effective advertising, I'm sire they will do great.

Oh yeah, I really don't feel comfortable with a pocket pistol with no external safety, I know, it shouldn't matter if I do my part correctly, but its a comfort thing.
Old March 23, 2015, 02:32 PM   #60
Uncle Malice

Quote:
It looks pretty close in size to my Shield but just a hair larger. Will you be getting one?
That right there answers why I will NOT be getting one. It's larger than the Shield with less capacity.

I had the safety model of the Shield a while back and really liked it but let it go as a partial trade. Now that they have the non-safety version, there's nothing I don't like about the Shield and it's back on my list.

To me, the G43 is a disappointment. And I'm kind of a big Glock fan.
Old March 23, 2015, 05:04 PM   #61
Dashunde

Quote:
To me, the G43 is a disappointment. And I'm kind of a big Glock fan
Thats were I'm at with it... the more I study the specs the bigger fail it becomes.

- Its only 4.5oz lighter than a fully loaded G27 (9+1).
- Its actually taller than a G26/27
- Its empty weight is more than a loaded Kahr PM/CM9
- Its wider than the Kahr.

I was really hoping it would be identical to the G42... which btw, is still bigger than the venerable 10+ year old Kahr PM design.

Last edited by Dashunde; March 23, 2015 at 05:11 PM.
Old March 24, 2015, 12:29 PM   #62
SIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Malice
That right there answers why I will NOT be getting one. It's larger than the Shield with less capacity.

I had the safety model of the Shield a while back and really liked it but let it go as a partial trade. Now that they have the non-safety version, there's nothing I don't like about the Shield and it's back on my list.

To me, the G43 is a disappointment. And I'm kind of a big Glock fan.
I am with Uncle Malice on this one. I enjoy the Glocks I own very much but the 43 doesn't impress me too much. I own the Shield 9mm NTS model and it has been flawless. It seems to me that by the time you add a +1 floor plate to the 6-round G43 mag, it would become taller than Shield. The Shield is a bit taller in stock form but it holds 7 in the mag versus 6 of the G43.

However, I would still like to shoot a G43 and see how it performs.
Old March 24, 2015, 02:51 PM   #63
jfost

Quote:
Well, with or without a Glock......stupid people will find a way to shoot themselves, won't they?

Haters gonna hate and stupids gonna stupid.
Lmao!

Quote:
Ok, I apparently need to put down the crack pipe. I could have sworn the LCP and the Kel-Tec were blowback, but it's been almost two years since I fired them. I just remember the recoil being terrible - maybe I just assumed they were blowback?
Lmao x2!

Quote:
And the notion that a 19 can be concealed as easily as a 26 is pure owl droppings. Set them side by side......shorter barrel, shorter butt.....the 26 is easily pocket-carried......the 19? No.
Lmao x3! I'm done. I miss this forum. Glad I tuned back in.

I think I may look into the g43 at some point, but not until the (probable to maybe) initial inflated prices go down and they are in stock. Glock somewhat suffered from not making this a while ago (as their competition enjoyed eating the micro compact market up), yet they won't have suffered much as I am sure many people just waited on this.

Now if only the Ruger lcp (or similar size and .380 caliber firearm) could be striker fired...

Last edited by jfost; March 24, 2015 at 03:07 PM.
Old March 26, 2015, 09:52 PM   #64
Pico

Ayoob checks in

Mas agrees it will sell like crazy. That makes two of us at least.

Pico

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6E7qRJsE2Y
Old March 26, 2015, 10:00 PM   #65
whip1

It's a Glock. Of course it will sell like crazy. Anyone that says otherwise isn't paying attention.
Old March 26, 2015, 10:55 PM   #66
tipoc

Another paycheck for Mas!

tipoc
Old March 27, 2015, 03:56 PM   #67
btmj

I just wish Glock had come out with this years ago.

My normal carry was a G19, but I needed something thinner and smaller for summertime. What I really wanted was a single-stack version of the G26. In 2011 I ended up with a Walther PPS, which is a really nice pistol, no complaints. At the time it was one of the few single-stack 9's that had a glock-like feel.

In the past 4 years my buddies have all bought SW Shield, Ruger LC9 and LC9S. Certainly if I was in the market TODAY, I would strongly consider the G43, but I would also consider the PPS, the Shield, and the LC9S / LC9S Pro.

I fear ol' Glock waited too long. Oh they will sell, but imagine if this pistol had come out 10 years ago when the only real option for a thin single stack 9 was Kahr ? millions and millions would have been sold...

Jim
Old March 27, 2015, 11:24 PM   #68
Justice06RR

Don't want one, and don't need one.

IMHO Glock is very late to the subcompact/pocket-sized single-stack 9mm party. There are already numerous offerings in this category.

And this is coming from another Glock owner.

But I'm sure all the die-hard Glock fans will buy one just like Apple fans buy the newest Iphones that come out. (I have one of those too )

Maybe if Glock sells the G43 very competitively priced, under $400 (say $350-375 street price) it will sell much better. But the MSRP of $500+ which translates to $450 in reality will not sway others who are not already a fan of Glocks.

I guess at this point we'll see. I'm already seeing many people dumping the G42 locally in my area if that's an indication of anything (or nothing).
Old March 28, 2015, 06:41 AM   #69
heyjoe

thats what everyone said about the model 42, Glock waited too long to come out with a .380 that could be sold in the united states, the market is already saturated etc. They sold 200,000 of them last year.
Old March 28, 2015, 08:59 AM   #70
Joe_Pike

Dealer cost Is $396.xx I believe, so, normal retail will be somewhere in the $450-$475 range. I don't think you will find them for that at first, but eventually big retailers like Bud's will start getting better deals than the small dealers get and they will sell them at or bellow the cost of what a local dealer can buy it for. Then everyone will scream about how the local guys are ripping you off because they want to make enough money to pay their bills.
Old March 28, 2015, 10:07 AM   #71
tipoc

Glock will sell a lot of these guns. It's surprising that anyone would think otherwise and I'm not sure anyone here does. Folks know the gun will sell.

Glock did not want to sell a single stack 9 or a single stack 40 for that matter. They have the G19 and the 26 they felt no need to allocate resources to a gun they did not need to produce. What changed their mind is that they have been losing market share to their competitors.

In the last several years this loss of market share has brought about the introduction of the Gen 4 line, the G42 and a few other changes. Glock has a dominant place in the market but you can't stay there without change.

tipoc
Old March 28, 2015, 10:29 AM   #72
tipoc

A quick search showed me that Glock had issues with the G42 when it was first released. Failures to feed, issues with the magazines, etc. Glock moved quickly and as they usually do quietly to repair the damage. It appears that within a year they had many of the kinks worked out.

We'll see how things run with the G43.

You can read on some of the G42 issues below:

http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtrib...rrel-problems/

http://thegunwriter.blogs.heraldtrib...omment-page-4/

http://looserounds.com/2014/05/10/gl...es-to-the-g42/

tipoc
Old March 28, 2015, 07:45 PM   #73
suncoastarmory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dashunde View Post
Thats were I'm at with it... the more I study the specs the bigger fail it becomes.

- Its only 4.5oz lighter than a fully loaded G27 (9+1).
- Its actually taller than a G26/27
- Its empty weight is more than a loaded Kahr PM/CM9
- Its wider than the Kahr.

I was really hoping it would be identical to the G42... which btw, is still bigger than the venerable 10+ year old Kahr PM design.
I concur. I have several Glocks but I was disappointed that the 43 is not a 42 chambered in 9mm. I sold a bunch of 42's and people love them. I was hoping to love the 43, but I'll probably stick with my CM9.
Old March 28, 2015, 08:06 PM   #74
predecessor

I remember when the Ruger SR1911 came out (a mere 100 years after the first Colt 1911) and Ruger fanboys came out of the cave for the first time to buy a 1911 because it was made by Ruger.

I'm certain Glock aficionados will do the same with the G43.

If it does something better or more effectively than the other current field of sub's than I may stop yawning.

Until then my $367 Nano continues to perform better in my hands than anything in it's class.
Old March 29, 2015, 10:59 PM   #75
btmj

^this ^

Quote:
I remember when the Ruger SR1911 came out (a mere 100 years after the first Colt 1911) and Ruger fanboys came out of the cave for the first time to buy a 1911 because it was made by Ruger.
Yep. Same will be true of the G43.

But if Glock had come out with this in 2005, everyone else would be playing catch-up...