The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2012, 12:40 PM   #1
aarona

new to reloading, have a question

Hi,
I'm new to reloading and have a question.

I am reloading 30-30 for a marlin 336. I purchased some winchester bullets to start reloading with. i had good luck with the factory rounds last year, so I went with their bulk ones to see how they work out. The bullets I bought are the winchester power point flat nose in 150 grain.the problem is, I cant find any reloading data on them. I did some looking around, and I found some data for remington core lokts, which seem pretty similar, and found data for sei flat nose as well. Should i just go with a general 150grain flat nose load, or can some one point me in a better direction?

also, I will be using imr 3031 for the powder, and winchester lr primers.

thanks!
Old October 13, 2012, 01:13 PM   #2
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice

Have you gone to Winchester's web site to see if they have loading data?

Most of the manufacturers of powder and bullets publish recipes for their products.

Good luck

Lost Sheep

edit: I checked Winchester and didn't find recipes right away. Oops. They either don't have them or they are buried deeper than I thought.

edit 2: Hodgdon makes Winchester gunpowder and they have some load data that might be helpful. http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

Last edited by Lost Sheep; October 13, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:30 PM   #3
aarona

Thanks, the hodgdon site is where i found the sierra 150 load before. it lists a starting load for the sierra 150 flat nose, with imr 3031 as 28.7 grains. would it be sensible to use that as a starting load for the winchester 150 grain bullet?
Old October 13, 2012, 01:34 PM   #4
gandog56

My Lee modern reloading manual has 150 gr. jacketed with no specification of what kind of tip is on the bullet with that powder. It is 28.7-30.5 grains with a min OAL of 2.550"

My Hornady manual only has 150 grain R.N bullets in that weight, but they use 26.6-31.4 grains with a COL of 2.550".

My Hodgdon manual has a 150 grain Sierra F.N. load of 28.7-30.5 grains with a COL of 2.550" (see a pattern here?)

My Speer manual has a Speer 150 F.N. but nothing for that powder.

Hope these help.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:43 PM   #5
RC20

It can get pretty confusing.

Yes you can use similar bullets and their listed powders as long as you start at the low end.

Basically its safer.

Some powders act badly when too little used, so getting really low can be unsafe as well.

If you are at the bottom then average out several sources (3 at least)

If you look at all of them and start in the mid area you are ok, but use several sources to see what the average middle is.

For 3031 in the Hornady book its 28-29 grains.
Old October 13, 2012, 04:37 PM   #6
mikld

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230171

I always tell new reloaders to get a manual first, then select a bullet/load, and then buy components. Much less questions and headaches trying to find an unlisted load...
Old October 13, 2012, 09:56 PM   #7
steve4102

It is simply not possible to match the components listed in your loading manuals exactly. That is why they all lists a "Start" charge and instruct the handloader to work up.

It is perfectly acceptable to use load data from "same weight" bullets of similar construction providing you start low and work up.
Old October 13, 2012, 10:31 PM   #8
gandog56

That's why I gave him the information I do have. But I NEVER start with anything approaching a max load!
Old October 14, 2012, 06:42 AM   #9
aarona

Thanks for all the info.

I ended up loading 20 bullets last night with 28.9 grains of powder. I'm gonna try to get out to the range Monday after work and see how it does
Old October 15, 2012, 06:29 PM   #10
aarona

Made it to the range today. My groups seemed to fit in a 3 to 4 inch circle at 100 yards.

I just made another batch. I added .3 grains to bump it up to 29.2
Old October 15, 2012, 06:42 PM   #11
William T. Watts

I consider anything at or near 2" to be pretty darn good for a Marlin/Winchester lever gun in 30/30, a light crimp is desirable for rifles with tubular magizines. Someone has already mentioned a manual, I would suggest purchasing two before you go to far. It's essential you develope a vocabulary to understand the responses you will receive from your questions and understanding these forums too. You have to walk before you run! Good luck! William
Old October 15, 2012, 07:49 PM   #12
aarona

I have a Hodgdon manual that came with my reloading kit. I've read through it a bit, and took out a few books from the library before I jumped into it.

Regarding the crimp, I have been using the lee factory crimp die.

Honestly, my reason for getting into the is is purely utilitarian. I'm not looking to make some crazy high power rounds. Just some consistent, cheap, and accurate hunting rounds