The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 10, 2008, 04:05 AM   #1
Lilswede1

.223 Ballistics and best bullet for rifle

I'm shooting a CZ .223 Bolt with Bull-barrel.
Loading .223 with 26.5 gr. Benchrest powder - using a 5o gr. Sierra BlitzKing bullet.
Does anyone know the ballistics on that load - how does it compare to a factory load?
Which is the best bullet to use for shooting long range (150 yd. +) targets like sage rats or priarire dogs.
Old September 11, 2008, 04:41 AM   #2
butta9999

try the 52gr sierra hp match bullet. It performs well in my .222 much better than any balistic tip. Great for small game too not much good on the bigger game. I use win 748 with a charge of 25gr. I know you have a .223 but i have tried a lot of balistic tip bullets through my .222 and i can bearly get MOA at 100yds. The match bullet i get under MOA in most groups with my best being .456 at 100yds. (5 shot groups) not 3

Are you using BM1 or BM2. Ill post Balistics when you get back to me.
Old September 11, 2008, 08:23 AM   #3
kraigwy

Quote:
Which is the best bullet to use for shooting long range (150 yd. +) targets like sage rats or priarire dogs
40-55 up to 300 yards
62-77 200-300 yards
80 grn 600-1000 yards

This assumes of course your rifle has the required twist to shoot the bullets listed.

You need the faster twist for the heavier bullets. When choosing a barrel, remember the faster twist shoot the lighter bullets better then the slower twist shoot the heavier bullets.

If your not shooting past 300 yards the 1 in 12 works
If your not shooting past 600 yards 1 in 9 works
If your shooting 600-1000 yards the 1 in 7 works

Take in account these are guide lines, the barrel twist do overlap a bit. Alot of Reloading manuels list the recomended barrel twist for a given bullets. They spent a lot of money testing, no reason to re-invent the wheel.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 11, 2008, 10:28 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

LilSwede1,

I assume you meant Benchmark powder? That load would produce pressures above SAMMI maximum in a tight case, like military brass, and will be a very comfortably safe load in a roomy case, like the Winchesters. To determine how is is working in your gun requires know case water capacity of your fired cases. I have an Excel file for that purpose on my drop site, httP://drop.io/unclenick. If you don't have Excel, the free open source Open Office Suite's Calc program can open it, too.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle