The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 7, 2013, 10:06 AM   #1
SprawlCowboy

Online Ammo Sold Out.

I've found that many retailers are sold out of .223, 7.62x39, 9x19, .45 ACP.

What better time to get into reloading right?

Well I'm finding that the constituents are nearly as scarce as the manufactured rounds.

Does anyone know of any suppliers that have stock or replenish frequently upon being sold out?
Old January 7, 2013, 10:24 AM   #2
CADILLAC HOOSIER

I've been buying bullets from Berry direct. Have always had 3-4 day delivery. ordered again Saturday and now get 3-4 WEEK delivery. At least they're still taking orders. They pay freight on orders of $75, used to be $50. I can still get powder at LGS, but primers are scarce. good luck, load and shoot safe. HOOSIER
Old January 7, 2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Misssissippi Dave

I ordered my restock of components for .45 acp this weekend. I got Large Primers (Winchester) and powder (WST) from Powder Valley. I got the bullets from Montana Gold.

You might find it very hard to get what you need for military rifle reloading. I also found not much in the way of small pistol primers.
Old January 7, 2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

was just up to Cabela's last Saturday... no small pistol, or small rifle primers... I did buy a box of large pistol primers since I shoot alot of 45 Colt ( especially during the summer CAS season ) they had several bullets...

I've been disapoint in my normal on line sources, I'm going through my ammo & components, since I'm moving them, & tried to buy plastic ammo boxes, & even in calibers like 25-06, 7 X 57 etc... they were all out... while at Cabelas, I was suprised that I was able to pick up some plastic boxes for my 357 max ( which share the same boxes as 223 )

tough time to "get into" reloading... you can buy the press, & in some cases the dies, but you'll have to be patient on alot of the components... sad, because I don't have an over abundance of small pistol primers ( which of course I could load into 9mm... but that I use most of for 32 H&R Magnum for MRS to shoot CAS during the summer )
Old January 7, 2013, 11:56 AM   #5
rajbcpa

Ahhhh... you are a tad late.

My local gun stores have been out of most primers since August. I went to 4 local guys this weekend. I found one pound of powder and 1K primers and I consider myself very lucky.

Nearly all of the large Internet retailers I use have virtually no inventory of primers or powder. You can still buy brass and bullets without issue, I believe.
Old January 7, 2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

I've been having trouble getting brass in cartridges ranging from 17 Fireball, 22 Hornet, up to 25-06 & 35 Remington... seems most brass is tight as well, even if it's not on one of "those" calibers
Old January 7, 2013, 03:16 PM   #7
serf 'rett

Better late than never.

I hope the famine doesn't last 1-1/2 years like the 2008 run; however, if you get started now, you'll have time to develop your ability to track down components, plus you'll compile a list of sources for the next scare. Living through a famine helps you to know how to stock up during the feast years.
Old January 7, 2013, 03:33 PM   #8
m&p45acp10+1

It depends on the retailer. I went to Cabella's yesterday. Many of the shelves are bare. Gun racks are showing a lot of empty slots. They only had a few reloading presses left. For rifle primers all they had were large magnum. For pistol all they had left was small pistol magnum. All pistol, AR, AK, and .22 LR semi auto magazines were sold out.

I asked a member of the management staff if there was another shortage going on. He said not to worry. He was told that they could not order anything until inventory was completed. Then most things would be restocked. Estimated time for that to happen from what he said was around 2 weeks. So looks like we get to find out then.

The local gun store has primers. They are not known for low prices. I treat it like going to the 7-11 for a gallon of milk, and loaf of bread.
Old January 9, 2013, 09:53 PM   #9
boxing21

I've looked everywhere for small pistol primers. With no luck online, I gave the local gunshow a shot. Picked up 2k Federal small pistol primers, 2k CCI small pistol primers, and three pounds of Power Pistol powder

Tags
ammunition , reloading