The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 2, 2006, 11:31 PM   #1
onlybrowning

Cold bore shots

I have a Browning .308 A bolt that has given very good groups with my previously discussed load of a 150 gr Nolser Ballistic Tip and 43.5 gr of H-4895. It seems that every time I shoot this gun I find the first shot to be the "flyer." I do not store the gun with a dirty barrel and I clean between each group to stay consistent. I really do not want to have to shoot a "Fouling shot" for a hunting rifle. Is there anything I can do? I also want to mention that I dry patch the bore before I start a session also. This flyer that I speak of is only about .5" away from the clover, so I guess I am just getting picky, but isn't that what it is about?
Old January 3, 2006, 12:07 AM   #2
rwilson452

fouling shot?

You observation is not out of the ordinary. My 22-250 takes about 4 shots to settle in. It's not about cold it's about fouling. in my '06 I put 4 down range before bambi season and don't clean it until I'm done. the season here is two weeks. With modern ammo not cleaning the bore will not hurt it unless you get it wet. I don't know where you hunt or at what range. For deer size game out to 300 yards if your shot is off by .5 moa it's no big deal. Numerous hunters here abouts use factory ammo and feel good about 3" groups. If your total group size is 1 MOA your still good to go. Now if your using that bang stick for whistle dogs at 500 yards you might have a problem.
Old January 3, 2006, 09:24 AM   #3
onlybrowning

Thanks for the reply. The gun does get wet during the season, so at least an oiled patching (then dry patching)is almost always necessary. Like I said I guess I am just being picky. I will shoot the gun before the season starts which is about 6 weeks long here and if I have to patch it I will either shoot it or say I am worriying about nothing because the first bullet will only be .5" off and I have never shot a deer past 105 yds. Northern Adirondack mountais=usually short shots.
Old January 3, 2006, 11:06 AM   #4
30Cal

If you keep track of where that first shot goes, you'll usually find that it's pretty consistant and easy to predict. Snipers keep detailed records and have to be able to compensate for cold bore conditions--there is no real work-around to the "problem."
Old January 3, 2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Toney

When it'a been raining i fire a round to dry the barrel
Old January 8, 2006, 12:08 PM   #6
Ruger4570

I hunt up near Tupper Lake and much over 100 yards is unusual. Ya, I think you are concerned for nothing with only a .5 inch difference. I wish all my guns were that way.
Old January 9, 2006, 11:03 AM   #7
Foxman

If you oil the bore dry patching will not remove it! ( if it did the oil would be rubbish). If I am storing a rifle for more than a day or two I use Kroil in the bore, but before using it I clean it with a solvent patch first then the dry patches. If I dont it always shoots different first two shots ( usually low). If I solvent it it shoots dead to zero point first shot.