The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 13, 2013, 05:29 PM   #26
Webleymkv

Quote:
Quote:
While I still have many relatives that live in IL, I will never move back to that state while their laws remain so draconian.
Draconian? How so?

According to the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence. Illinois is one of the better states for gun owners with a score of 35. Zero being the ‘freest’ of states for gun owners, and 100 being most restrictive for gun owners.

Now that Illinois will have some form of concealed carry, the statistics say it’s one of the better states to live in for gun owners.

I can have high-cap mags, pistol grip rifles, bayonet lugs and the bayonets to mount on it, soon to have CCW, etc, etc.

No, Illinois is not the best state, but I'd stop short of calling it draconian.
Maybe not compared to California, Massachusetts, or New York, but compared to where I moved (Indiana) it's quite draconian. I do not have to have a FOID to own a gun or buy ammunition, I need not endure any asinine waiting periods (which are completely unnecessary in the age of NICS), I don't have to worry about silly local bans due to our state pre-emption law, my employer can't ban me from keeping a gun in my car, I enjoy the protection of a state with the Castle Doctrine law, and I've been able to legally carry a loaded handgun since I was 18.

Furthermore, you don't know what type of CC you'll be getting yet, but Indiana is shall-issue, has no training requirements, allows both open and concealed carry, has a very short list of prohibited places, private business "no guns" signs carry no force of law, and lifetime licenses are offered. About the only states that I can think of with better gun laws than Indiana are Constitutional Carry states like AK, AZ, WY, and VT.
Old January 13, 2013, 05:43 PM   #27
MacGuffin

Currently, I live in Alaska, where I enjoy my gun rights daily. However, I plan on retiring in the next 4 - 5 years, and have promised my wife (who is tired of 6 month-long winters) that we will find a final resting spot somewhere in the lower 48. Points of consideration, in order: gun-friendly laws, more moderate climate, and, reasonable cost of living.
Old January 13, 2013, 06:14 PM   #28
jephthai

Moving usually involves several factors, but 2A freedoms was a big one for me in my last move. I left the DRACONIAN state if IL for Louisiana. One of the first things I did? Bought a new gun with no waiting period. With ammo too. Felt great.

There are only certain states I will live in.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
Old January 13, 2013, 06:25 PM   #29
Kimio

I was very young when I moved to Arizona, but in that respect, despite the blistering heat during the summer, whenever I finally retire from the military, I plan on staying in AZ, provided it remains open and supportive of firearms owners.

Might look to move out of the valley though, the pollution wreaks havoc on my allergies and such.
Old January 13, 2013, 08:37 PM   #30
Mike38

Quote:
Have you really looked at Illinois' gun laws?
Ummm, yea, I live here.

Quote:
You're banking your belief on what the Brady Campaign has to say? Now, I'm beginning to see how you came to your conclusion.
The Brady bunch doesn’t like Illinois, that’s a good thing for gun owners. If you have a better source for rankings nation wide, please share.

Quote:
Tell me where in their laws you can CCW, other than being in LE.
In case you haven’t heard, Illinois has been court ordered to provide CCW. The court order gave them 90 days. That was a couple weeks ago. Granted, they will more then likely have some lame sort of ‘may issue’ but so does 15+ other states in the Union.

Quote:
That hasn't come to fruition, yet.
High cap mags? I have dozens, 15, 20 and 30 rounders, each and every one of them perfectly legal. Pistol grip stocks? Perfectly legal. There are many states where those are illegal.

Chicago? I could care less what happens in that hole. Chicago does not represent the rest of us normal people down state, no more then an anti-gun guy next door to you represents you.

Again I say, Illinois is not the most gun friendly state, that I will not argue. But it is far from the worse, and far from draconian.

Last edited by Mike38; January 13, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:00 PM   #31
JagFarlane

Well the Navy is the reason I moved out of NJ and eventually ended up in VA but the firearms laws were part of the reason that I chose not to return when my enlistment ended and part of the reason I have since stayed in VA.
Old January 13, 2013, 09:02 PM   #32
tmorone

I lived in CA for a long time growing up, then went to WA and finally FL. SO much better here!

But it wasn't really 100% my choice. Military sends me where I'm needed and I just enjoy the ride
Old January 13, 2013, 09:07 PM   #33
biganimal

left Ny and relocated in SC for several reasons

weather
taxes
children and grandkids
gun laws

no regrets
Old January 14, 2013, 12:50 AM   #34
cheezhed

I lived in Chicago from 1953 until 1995 moved to MI then to Wisconsin.
The amount of freedom you get when you cross the state line is
unbelievable. The sad part is that my friends and family that still live
there will never understand because they have never experienced any
thing other than corrupt city workers,cameras on every traffic signal and
corner and accept a murder rate that would get the police chief kicked out
of most cities all I hear is that there is nothing anyone can do while still voting
the same people in year after year. Besides they will miss all that wonderful
diversity that comes from the gang bangers of a different background.
Old January 14, 2013, 01:31 AM   #35
LRChops

I am still stuck in CA due to my career. In another 6 years or so, you can be guaranteed I am leaving CA for Idaho or Utah. My wife is on board. CA retirement tax is 9% with the highest cost of living and the most restrictive laws. Kalifornia is gorgeous, but the bleeding left wing libs and Hollywood have destroyed the state politically!

The Left politicians (Super Majority) have successfully brainwashed the citizens as they become wealthier and wealthier with thier BS agendas! Selfish and shameful!

I am lucky because I can buy guns just as the out of state people can due to my LEO status. BUT, my guns are registered with the State DOJ as Assault Weapons which sucks!

I will move from CA mostly because of the gun laws and the high taxes. CA can keep the fricken bullet train and windmills.,I will be GONE ASAP!
Old January 14, 2013, 02:13 AM   #36
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elker_43
Al Norris - To heap all of Idaho into one statement about the temps is a bit much for such a large state such as ID.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al
Before too many of you consider Idaho, not all parts are equal.
I'm thinking you misread what I wrote.
Old January 14, 2013, 08:15 AM   #37
breakingcontact

Those of us in free states shouldn't discourage those who believe and want to live like us from moving to our states.

We should however discourage those who want to bring their failed social and economic policies with them.

Austin has been transformed from this outlaw country hippie enclave to a monied playground for wealthy statist Californians.

So Austin is full, unless you're some type of conservative/libertarian.
Old January 14, 2013, 03:37 PM   #38
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

as is Sun Valley/Ketchum/Hailey (Blaine County), Moscow (Latah County) and to a lesser extent, Boise (Ada County) and Coeur d'Alene (Kootenai County).
Old January 14, 2013, 04:44 PM   #39
226 Man

It's hot in the summer, cold in the the winter and we have a few twisters now and then but Oklahoma is a great place.
Old January 14, 2013, 05:03 PM   #40
Biner

Grew up in NM, then lived in SoCal for 21 years. My job brought me back to NM about a year ago, and I've been enjoying (and taking advantage of) the less-restrictive gun laws here. Unfortunately, this job is a long-term temp job, so in the next few years I'll be faced with returning to CA (where I've still got a house and a wife) or convincing the wife to leave CA (the only place she's ever lived) and moving to a state that respects 2A issues the way I do. Getting her to move is not going to be an easy task. I'm hoping it doesn't come down to a decision between the guns or the wife...I'd miss the ol' girl.

Geographically, CA is one of my favorite places on earth. Politically and socially, not so much.
Old January 14, 2013, 07:42 PM   #41
D.W. Drang

Grew up in Detroit. Army sent me to California (by way of Fort Lost In The Woods for Basic), then to Texas, then to Korea, then to Taxachusetts, and then to Washington.
The fact that I now reside in WA has more to do with the fact that the Army sent me here repeatedly, and I married a woman from here, but the much better gun laws here contribute to our staying here.
(WA had shall-issue CPLs in the early 1960s, before any other state that I know of.)
http://thecluemeter.blogspot.com/
Old January 14, 2013, 09:08 PM   #42
22-rimfire

I have made choices over the years regarding quality of life. I have settled on TN. I wouldn't consider it the freeist gun state, but it's okay. Things actually improved after the Brady Bill passed with the NICs check as the waiting period was waved.

But I have passed on potential jobs in IL, NJ, DC, and CA in the past.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:14 PM   #43
CharlieDeltaJuliet

The wife and I are planning on moing. We are in NC right now. She has went bak to shool in to gt he mastered degree. After she is finished we had plans of Texas,Wyoming,Utah, or Nevada. Please anyone in these states, give me the Cons for your state....

While I haven't escaped a restrictive state, we plan on moving. I just want to make sure that where ever we go is very firearms friendly. As firearms is very important to both of us.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old January 14, 2013, 11:05 PM   #44
Elker_43

Al Norris

Thanks for the link to the Listings of the Current 2A Cases, Interesting

The temps here in Coeur d Alene have been pretty normal this year and living close to the lake (lake affect you know)..... makes it better than in other spots in Northern Idaho.

I guess I did read your first post a bit different than you had intended as there are certainly many varied tempurature differences along the entire State of Idaho.

I have attached a picture of yesterdays terrain outside my home from my security camera while I am south along the central coast of California where it was 27 degrees this morning (it is killing the Orange crop)..... Feels like home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dave Outside.jpg (17.5 KB, 17 views)
Old January 14, 2013, 11:14 PM   #45
Rob228

I grew up in New York, then was stationed in California and Okinawa. I have a temporary reprieve while the Corps sends me to college here in Colorado. I have never felt more free. I doubt I'll make it to retirement without getting stuck back in California for at least a few more years, but I am going to hold onto my place here in Colorado and know that I have someplace free to return to.
Old January 15, 2013, 01:33 AM   #46
mete

NYS politicians have long complained about people leaving NYS.They NEVER seem to connect high taxes , gun control ,etc, etc as driving forces .
Old January 15, 2013, 03:18 AM   #47
lordhedgwich

Me i lived in IN all my life till i moved to AL 6 months ago both are very gun friendly states. A lot of ppl used to come from IL to IN because of the gun laws. In Indiana we call IL the criminal friendly state
Old January 15, 2013, 05:42 AM   #48
Sheriff Gotcha

Though I'm on the younger side, since I've started shooting gun laws are playing a large part of where I decide to live. Lucky for my PA has relatively friendly gun laws so I started out in a gun friendly state. Needless to say I won't be living in NJ anytime soon even though that's where 90% of the family resides.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:33 AM   #49
breakingcontact

For you little leaguers out there, move while you're young. The longer you wait, the harder it will be to move.

There will always be reasons NOT to move as well. Got to take the leap.
Old January 15, 2013, 11:41 AM   #50
mayosligo

I was raised in Boston, loved there for 27 years. I am amazed at how restrictive that city is. I never realized how much the state and local government and the Catholic church run so much of your life. I listen to relatives tell me what they can and cannot do because of the permits or regulations on everything from booze to guns to buildings etc. I have since lived in Kentucky and Louisiana. It is amazing once you remove yourself from an environment of so much control how you begin to understand and appreciate freedom.