The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 4, 2012, 11:06 PM   #1
GoOfY-FoOt

Interstate Trip From FL to TX - Concealed OK???

Guys and Gals,
I have to drive to Texas from Florida in the morning and I will pass through Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana via I-10. Are there any concerns I should be aware of, while driving through these states with my concealed weapon that I have a FL CWP for?

Any help would be highly appreciated... and, Thanks in advance!!!
Old December 4, 2012, 11:45 PM   #2
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Isn't it a bit late on thinking about this?

Check http://www.handgunlaw.us for info on reciprocity for FL permit holders. Then check each state you are traveling through, to find out any adverse laws on traveling while carrying.
Old December 4, 2012, 11:50 PM   #3
GoOfY-FoOt

Ha-ha...Yeah I know, right? No, my daughter has found herself stranded in College Station, TX, and my wife and I are driving out to rescue her...
It's a long story, and we are rushing around making arrangements to leave at dawn...

I was able to find this: http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php and it seems that I will be OK.

Thanks for the reply, anyway.
G/N...
Old December 5, 2012, 08:56 AM   #4
MLeake

I was going to recommend handgunlaw.us, but I've been beaten to that.

I was going to say I'm pretty sure you are good in all the gulf coast states with a Florida permit, which you've already determined.

What I will say, though, is it's not a bad idea to follow advice frequently put out by Gary Slider (who runs handgunlaw.us), and use the links on handgunlaw.us to check the licensing and regulatory agency websites for each state you will transit. Get your info straight from the horses' mouths, so to speak.

That protects you against recent changes to the rules that may not be reflected on handgunlaw.us, or against any possibility of misinterpretation or editing errors on handgunlaw.us

All that said, handgunlaw.us is a great planning tool. It just should not be viewed as a standalone tool.