The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 28, 2000, 07:59 PM   #1
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'm wanting to rework a 700 ADL in .308 to a lightweight walking-hunting critter. Does anybody know of any reason not to turn the barrel down to the wall-thickness of the Weatherbys? I'm also figuring on cutting it back to 22" or even 20"...

Thanx, Art
Old July 29, 2000, 12:24 AM   #2
Jon K

Art,
Turning down a barrel interduces stress into the barrel. It never fails that a barrel that is turned down will fail to be accurite as it tends to change point of aim as it heats up. If you want a skinny barrel, buy one and have it installed by a professional gunsmith. Cutting the barrel to a shorter lenth does not usually hurt accuracy, but you will loose some FPS.
Hope this helps.

------------------
NRA MEMBER? GREAT, NOW JOIN GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
Old July 29, 2000, 08:27 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Art, I agree with some of what Jon said. Turning the barrel does introduce stress. It will also increase bbl whip. But, I've found that with most, whether they were made lightweight or re contoured that a bedding pad near the front of the stock will greatly enhance the accuracy. A barrel that has been recontoured won't heat up any faster than a featherweight from the factory. George
Old July 29, 2000, 10:14 AM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For the uses I envision, two rapid shots into 1-1/2" is plenty-good accuracy. I'm figuring shots on deer within 200 yards...Anybody think I'd LIKELY have worse accuracy? Really, if the first shot from a cold barrel regularly goes to the point of aim, I'm basically okay.

George, I guess you've read my posts about my "wax-paper shim" deal; works as does your pad. I'll definitely have a "damper" out at the front of the stock.

Regards, Art
Old July 31, 2000, 03:49 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ha! In the FWIW department, I just got my new issue of Guns & Ammo, today. Grits Gresham's column details doing just what I asked about, above...

, Art