The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 2, 2014, 03:50 PM   #1
ks_wayward_son

Springfeld front and rear sight replacement

Thanks do those who posted about the mainspring housing question sometime earlier. I have another regarding replacing the sights. My front sight has become loose and needs replacement and in researching I've read that the SA Mil Spec front sight has a .180 height and a .080 width stake...aka neither a narrow nor wide but medium width. Im having difficulty in scrounging up a medium width tenon front sight. I havent tried contacting SA directly for assistance although it might help.

Also I was considering replacing the rear two dot setup with a 10-8 National Match U notch. I think this along with a single dot may be a better option for me.

I realize a quick fix might be having a smith simply mill out a front dovetail recess for a dovetail sight...but I'm not sure what sort of cost that could incur. Probably will stick to the standard staking, then. Therefore, in tying it all together are there any suppliers out there who have a medium tenon front sight? Also for those who have used this similar setup between the 10-8 rear sight and the .180 height front would there possibly be some modifications required (i.e. filing) for proper impact? I plan on using standard 230 grain FMJ loads for range use primarily. Thanks for the replies in advance.
Old August 4, 2014, 12:17 PM   #2
jcj54

springfield staked front

Have found no aftermarket medium tenon fronts. I mill a wide one to fit when needed.