The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 28, 2008, 10:41 PM   #1
Gunscribe

Competition accuracy

How tight does my shooting need to be before I enter into some amateur handgun contests. For instance, would 5-inch groups at 25 yards with a 9mm put me in the ballpark?
Old December 28, 2008, 11:06 PM   #2
KUHIO

in what league/type of competition? Generally there are no prerequisites to begin competing. Go out and have a good time
Old December 28, 2008, 11:07 PM   #3
LHB1

Enter right now, regardless of how well or poorly you shoot. Start at the bottom and work your way up like most of us. You will LEARN a lot and have great fun while doing so.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:26 AM   #4
Gunscribe

Thanks for the encouragement.

I'm still trying to sort out the various competitions.

Ultimately, I want to shoot with what I have: 9mm, 22lr and .38. I am hoping to avoid .45 cal because of the cost of the ammo (and buying a new gun).

I shoot at the range once a week, and I seem to stand up well against the guys in the other ports, which isn't saying much.
Old December 29, 2008, 05:15 AM   #5
darkgael

shoot

Just go and shoot. Have fun. Competition will make you a better shooter. There's a lot of truth in the idea that matches are the best practice.
With the guns that you have you can shoot two parts (an 1800) of a Bullseye 2700 match. To do the whole thing, though, you'll need a .45.
Pete
Old December 29, 2008, 11:00 AM   #6
NRAhab

Are you thinking about IDPA/USPSA, or some kind of bullseye game? 5 inches at 25 yards is plenty accurate for IDPA, so if that's what you've got your mind on, grab your blaster and go have some fun.

Which, I should probably note is the whole point of IDPA anyway.
Old December 29, 2008, 12:54 PM   #7
oldkim

getting started

Yes, go for it.

You'll find that there are other factors that will influence your ability to shoot well (e.g. shooting on the move, behind cover, TIME, strong/weak hand - one hand shooting that is and so much more).

If you look at the action pistol competitions, such as, IDPA (International Defensive Pistol Association) or USPSA (aka IPSC.... United States Practical Shooting Assocation a branch of the International Practical Shooting Confederation) you'll find there is more to learn than just merely being able to hit a stationary target at X distance.

Also, on the flip side for Bullseye shooting there are other skills you'll need.

So, really get out there and have fun. The first year should be chalked up for just fun and getting used to all the rules and learning from the masters on the field.

Just make sure you read a bit on the sport that best fits your interest. They all have their own rules and how things are done.

www.idpa.com - start off with the tab marked "About IDPA"
www.uspsa.com - start off with the tab marked "What is Practical Shooting"

Have fun and enjoy!

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old December 29, 2008, 08:57 PM   #8
45_Shooter

I shoot PPC in the winter; it is an excellent way to get started as the pace is quite relaxed, and more accuracy based than speed based (which is better to start IMO, as you need to be accurate before you can be fast). Contrary to what some may tell you, a box stock service pistol can be competitive in the indoor season. I shot a 582/600 with my stock S&W M&P9L a couple weeks ago.

Bullseye competition is also a great way to start if you have a full size .45 and a .22, but does not accomodate other calibers.

IDPA also accomodates beginners well and is very fun to shoot. However, the time pressure is greater and you'll be drawing, moving and reloading against the clock, and it can make some people more nervous than the slower paced stuff out there.

Good luck!
Old December 29, 2008, 09:20 PM   #9
darkgael

Bullseye

"Bullseye competition is also a great way to start if you have a full size .45 and a .22, but does not accomodate other calibers."
It does. There is a stage in Bullseye matches for "centerfire" pistols, in addition to the .22 and .45 stages. (Three gun matches) Any centerfire .32 cal and larger is OK. It's true, though, that many shooters use their .45s for the CF match as well as for the .45 match.
Pete
Old December 29, 2008, 10:41 PM   #10
45_Shooter

Quote:
"Bullseye competition is also a great way to start if you have a full size .45 and a .22, but does not accomodate other calibers."
It does. There is a stage in Bullseye matches for "centerfire" pistols, in addition to the .22 and .45 stages. (Three gun matches) Any centerfire .32 cal and larger is OK. It's true, though, that many shooters use their .45s for the CF match as well as for the .45 match.
Pete
But I think you still need a .22 and a .45 right? I was under the impression that CF was only part of the 3 gun match. The only single gun matches I've seen were .22's, but I never got that heavily involved in Bullseye.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:50 PM   #11
Gunscribe

Can you enter just two stages of the three in Bullseye, or are you required to shoot all three?

Also, is PPC pretty common? That sounds like an event I would like to try.
Old December 29, 2008, 10:58 PM   #12
45_Shooter

http://www.mpcpa.org/

Not sure where you're at, but this is the group that organizes PPC here in Southeast MI. They might be able to point you in the right direction for your location. PPC is one of the original competitive pistol sports and as such is fairly widespread. Just make sure you look for the indoor match, which is typically shot in the winter months. The outdoor match is shot at much longer range and is better shot with a purpose built target gun.

Tags
accuracy , competition , handguns