The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 23, 2005, 12:29 PM   #1
brj

restoration advice please

My apologies if this question is in the wrong forum...When I was 12 years old Dad gave me a .22 air rifle for Christmas. Long story short, it recently turned up at my folks house ( 33 years later ) . I cleaned it up a bit and low and behold it works like a champ! I'ts a Arrowhead .22 one shot spring piston design, with a beautiful wood stock. The downside is the barrel is somewhat pitted, mostly just light surface rust. The sentimental value of this weapon goes without saying, if anyone has any suggestions on what I can do to restore it I would greatly appreciate it. Also if anyone is familiar with this weapon I would enjoy hearing from you...thanks in advance...B
Old May 23, 2005, 04:02 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't help on that particular gun, but surface rust can be removed using brass wool (get it at the grocery store, it is used for scrubbing pots) and oil. Very fine 0000 steel wool can be used also, with lots of oil, but I prefer brass wool as it is less likely to scratch bluing.

Jim
Old May 23, 2005, 05:19 PM   #3
cntryboy1289

little more

If what Mr. Keenan said doesn't remove all of the pitting, you have a few choices. You could have the barrel reblued. You could also have the gun parkerized and or painted to avoid the rust in the future. I would suggest trying what Mr. Keenan said first. If that leaves the barrel with the pit marks and is unsatisfactory, I would seek out a gunsmith that does blueing to keep the gun as close to original as possible. I feel like you want to be able to pass it down, and if it were up to me, I would have it reblued.