The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 21, 2005, 01:44 PM   #1
dswindle

How to mount a Brockman rear peep sight

Folks,
I just bought a new Brockman rear peep sight for my Marlin Model 336SS, .30-.30 lever action rifle. Can anyone give me any tips on how to mount the sight? I assume I mount it with the "peep" toward my eye where the two rear screws are on the rear of the receiver near the hammer. Is that correct? Do I need any other screws or will the two that are already in the rifle work? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
Old May 24, 2005, 04:49 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I have not used a Brockman sight, but if I understand correctly, it mounts on the top of the receiver using the screw holes normally used for a scope mount base. The screws in the rifle are probably short plug screws without heads. You remove them but don't lose them since you might later want to sell the rifle and keep the sight.

Jim
Old May 25, 2005, 08:28 AM   #3
dswindle

Jim,
Thanks much for the advice both on the forum and via the personal email. As always, your advice was right on target. I called Brockman's and they are sending me the proper screws to mount the sight. I'm going to try it first with the factory hooded front sight to see how well that works, but if it doesn't work too well, I intend to buy the Brockman's Generation III front sight with the protective ears. I also intend to fold down the factory rear buckhorn sight and leave it on the rifle. Because the peep sight is much higher than the buckhorn, the buckhorn sight shoud not interfere with the sight picture. Thanks again for your help. Dave