The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 3, 2005, 07:44 PM   #1
41special

Broken Flat Spring replacement ?

I picked up a U.S. Revolver co. DAO break-top .32 s&w revolver not too long ago, and decided to bring it back from the dead.

Well to make a long story short, I got that little bugger clean and in operation. It was in really good shape.

Then as I pulled the trigger to do a final check on it, the hammer return
spring broke right in two.

Then the flat spring that works the auto eject snapped into about a hundred pieces.

And the mainspring has a pull of about 20lbs, so I think it's next.

I don't plan to shoot it much. But it seems nice and tight and in time etc... so I at least want to try it.

Where can I find flat spring stock to replace these ?

Or does any pro out there work on them ?

Thanks

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal.

Last edited by 41special; June 5, 2005 at 07:42 AM.
Old June 3, 2005, 09:07 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Wolff sells flat spring kits with an assortment of flat hammer springs for $20 and $10 ("Blitz Pack"). Check at www.gunsprings.com for more info. I am not sure about the "hammer return spring"; do you mean the trigger return spring? They have those also both V and flat types.

You might also get the Gun Parts Corp catalog (www.gunpartscorp.com) and check the H&R and Iver Johnson sections, as some of those parts might interchange.

In all honesty, that old revolver is not worth spending money on, but trying to get it working will keep you off the streets and out of trouble. For a long time.

Jim
Old June 12, 2005, 02:09 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

flat spring

Dear shooter:
Gunsmiths (some of them) like to keep secrets!
If you have the old spring get some spring material (you can tell on your grinder by the spark pattern - see machinest manual - they will be fine repeating sparks - match them with a file spark pattern) and anneal it (QV) and then with heat if necessary form it to the old spring.
Have a coffee can full of regular water temp in your shop and when red immediately quench it! DO NOT TOUCH IT - IT WILL SHATTER!
Then take a small metal pan the part will fit in and fill with used motor oil till you cover the spring and light the oil. When the oil is all burned oiff and spring cools it will be a SPRING!
I've made my muzzle-loader srings like that for years.
Not to plagerize, a Mr Frazier taught that method and by jove, it works.
Try it! Harry B.