The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 18, 2005, 10:01 PM   #1
onthedrums

Swede bolt handle conversion

Found info on the web about the ATI bolt on type bolt handle conversion kit.One site says fits all mausers and another says it won't fit m96 or 38's.
does anyone know anything about these kits? Is there one available for the Swedes?I know I could get my smith to bend it but he stays so backed up it's hard to get anything done in a timely manner.I think they look ok but are they functional/reliable?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Old May 18, 2005, 10:33 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Your not gonna change an original, matching swede I hope....

WildutohAlaska
Old May 19, 2005, 06:34 PM   #3
Harry Bonar

bolt handle

Dear Shooter:
Go to Brownells and order their bolt handle - be very careful on the Swede in welding it on - better yet, buy their jig.
Old May 19, 2005, 10:16 PM   #4
onthedrums

WildAlaska,
No It's a barreled action I found cheap.Anyways it's my prerogative what I do with ANYTHING I decide to spend my money on.My C&R has given me opportunity to buy many matching military pieces and they are all swell.
but this one's for me to shoot at stuff with.I started building rifles in the dark but it wasn't last night....I do not however have the equipment to do all the work I'd like and sometimes have to go to my cuz the smith with some projects I can't handle.Just thought I'd see if anyone here could give advise on a specific product...........Guess not.
Old May 20, 2005, 12:26 AM   #5
Wildalaska

Quote:
Anyways it's my prerogative what I do with ANYTHING I decide to spend my money on
No need to get our panties in a bunch now is there??

Quote:
Just thought I'd see if anyone here could give advise on a specific product...........Guess not.
As stated By Harry, cut and welded. Thats how its done.

WildandwiththatadieuAlaska
Old May 20, 2005, 07:25 AM   #6
dale taylor

The M96 6.5x55 is a great platform. My family have all used it. Yes it is sporterized. Not money well spent on this platform but I had fun and learned a lot. I don't play golf. Chalk it ($) it to fun and [email protected]
Old May 20, 2005, 06:12 PM   #7
onthedrums

Wildalaska,
You still didn't answer my question.I know full well that you can cut and weld 'em on any straight bolt.I didn't ask HOW to make a straight bolt into a bent bolt........And still I search for answers......
BTW, I don't wear ANY kind of drawers .....let alone panties
Old May 20, 2005, 08:12 PM   #8
cntryboy1289

now now

uh oh
Old May 20, 2005, 08:17 PM   #9
cntryboy1289

now now

I am not familiar with the bolt on type, but if it is what you want to use, FAC has them. I think I have read where they work for the Swedish Mauser. I would suggest having a new handle welded on instead of bending the existing one. I have never liked the look of a straight bolt that was heat bent. I would suggest using a silverbrazed handle if you feel uncomfortable welding a new one on. I have used a few after cutting off the handle and then grinding the leftove metal off. Line it up like you want it and then braze it on.
Old May 20, 2005, 08:29 PM   #10
Romulus

Quote:
uh oh
My sentiments exactly...braze(n) seems to be the ticket

Ti faccio vedere come muore un italiano
Old May 23, 2005, 04:16 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will advise heating and bending the bolt. It is solider and a lot less likely to come apart than a welded or brazed on handle. Done right, it should look just as good as, if not better than, any other conversion.

I have seen the bolt-on type and would not use one. It is a cheap way to run the railroad, but it doesn't look good to me and I would not trust it.

Jim
Old May 24, 2005, 08:08 PM   #12
Harry Bonar

bolt handle

Dear Shooter:
IF you are altering the EXISTING bolt handle, grind top almost clear down leaving a small tit of metal at botton (at an angle as you would on a new handle) and heat and bend it down at approx 45 degree angleand fill in with weld at the top.
I'm not sure what you're wanting to do; doing bolt alteration for a scope?
Hope it turns out.
Harry B.
Old May 28, 2005, 09:10 AM   #13
Harry Bonar

bolt handle

WILDALASKA:
I really like that little statement, "not getting our panties up in a bunch." That fit very well!
Harry B.
Old May 30, 2005, 08:59 AM   #14
Aardvark

This probably won't answer your question but may be something you want to know. I have had two Swede straight bolt handles bent for some custom work that I am doing on them. I use this guy named Roy Davis May at the Gun Shack in Moscow Kansas. You send him your stripped bolt and $35 and he gets it back to you usually in about a week...He does excellent work...See the pic...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.JPG (98.3 KB, 60 views)