The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 15, 2016, 07:26 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Speed Breech inlines

Called T/C (SW) last night trying to get some info on replacement parts fora Triumph muzzleloader and I was pretty disappointed. No luck getting someone on the phone who had much product knowledge. Not the first time I've had this issue with them since bought out.

Anyways, I am going to be looking for a new (to me at least) muzzleloader before next Ohio ML deer season in January. I've found used ML prices in ohio to be best this time of yea, so likely I will purchase one soon.
Speed breech is necessary.
Stainless absolutely.
Polymer stock preferred.
209 primer.
I really loved the T/C accuracy with sabotted bullets. It was a joy to zero every year. I'd enjoy another rifle that was equally accurate, but really not necessary for hunting.
I'm not interested in a T/C. There is no reason for me to pay T/Cs premium prices with the support/CS I am currently getting for my older rifles. Ok, I'm actually looking around at TC Triumphs for sale on the secondary market and if I can find a deal I might go that direction, but this post is specifically in search of information about other brands offerings.

CVA seems like a good option. The Optima or Wolf should be ok.
Anyone have information about the CVA rifle's accuracy or quality of the steels used?
Old April 15, 2016, 11:07 AM   #2
Pahoo

CVA' s are good performers.

I use to be a TC fan but since they abandoned the SideLocks, I have lost interest and faith in them. They "may" still be a good company but have given up on soliciting their support. I still have one of their older inlines and even though it provide good performance, it will be the last. .....

Quote:
CVA seems like a good option. The Optima or Wolf should be ok.
Anyone have information about the CVA rifle's accuracy or quality of the steels used?
I often state the brains of an M/L, is the lock and the heart is the barrel. What limited experience I have with the CVA's inlines, I find them to be a good choice especially on having the Bergara-Barrels. They also provide the support that "old" TC use to give. I have worked with and shot a number of CVA's and would not hesitate in recommending them. ..

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; April 17, 2016 at 11:19 AM.
Old April 15, 2016, 11:44 AM   #3
FrontierGander

The CVA Optima is a great choice. I'd even suggest looking into the nitride barrel optima if you want it rust proof.
Old April 15, 2016, 01:19 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...k+Powder+Rifle

Hard to pas up for $328. I am a big fan of nitride finishes.
My Thunderhawk has a 21" barrel. Very short for a smoke pole, but sure is handy. I could easily reduce a stainless barrel. Probably not a good idea though.

I really like the lines on the TC Triumph. Really great looking rifle. I hope SW puts some money into getting trained people who know something about the TC products on the phone and puts some time into their answering system so getting to the right people is simple.

I can sell my two TC products and probably be out less than $50 for the new rifle. Might even end up money ahead.
Old April 16, 2016, 11:50 AM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I checked the Jack First catalog and didn't see a TC Triumph listed. Sorry.
Old April 16, 2016, 12:31 PM   #6
DD4lifeusmc

Don't have an inline and never will.
Got at 1978 CVA Mountain in 50 cal.
Has worked exceptionally well all these years.

an inline is just one step away from a modern rifle.
If I want that I'll shoot the Ruger 7mm

Traditional sidelocks are every bit as powerful accurate and dependable
as inline.
to me wanting stainless steel, tell me someone is to lazy toproperly care for the gun in the first place.
If they are lax there, where else may they be lax. Safety. reloading? handling?

But in answer to your original question can't help you
Old April 16, 2016, 12:42 PM   #7
Pahoo

L.B.C. !!!

Quote:
Another answer, to a question that wasn't asked. I'll take this as your opinion and nothing else. .....

Quote:
But in answer to your original question can't help you
Now, that's a fact !!!

Be Safe !!!
Old April 16, 2016, 11:22 PM   #8
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I checked the Jack First catalog and didn't see a TC Triumph listed. Sorry.
Yeah, but there are quite a few lightly used on GB, armslist, and I've even located one that is NOS.

Quote:
And the minute Ohio changes the law to allow a Ruger 7mm during muzzle-loader season I'll be posting about how I bought one. I think that change is far enough away I'm probably safe spending the money on a new muzzle-loader for now.

As to the rest of the post, you're probably right. I highly recommend you don't hunt with me, shoot with me, talk to me, etc., just to be on the safe side. I think we will both be better off.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; April 17, 2016 at 04:00 PM.
Old April 17, 2016, 08:24 AM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

Guys, let's not turn this into an inline v. sidelock debate. I don't like modern inlines, but the concept has been around and we saw one at THR that was over a century old (or more like a century and a half).
Old April 18, 2016, 07:29 PM   #10
North East Redneck

I have a few CVA rifles. Both inline and sidelock. They all work well and shoot decently. They are priced well and seem to be decent guns. Mine are all older and don't have the nice quick release breechplugs, so I can't speak about those.
Accuracy and quality seem to be fine in all of the ones I own. Are they the best? Perhaps not. Are they accurate and reliable? Definitely.
Old April 19, 2016, 01:44 PM   #11
g.willikers

Sorry to hear TC has fallen so far.
The last muzzle loader rifle I had was one of their target models for local club shoots.
What a gem is was, too.
Sad, sad.