The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 2, 2001, 02:45 PM   #1
stuckatwork

Hi folks,

Hopefully someone can help with my problem. I have an older Llama 1911 Especial pistol in 38 super. I have been unable to find a non-Llama mag that fits properly in the pistol. I have tried Wilson, Colt, USA and Sprinfield mags and they all do the same thing, they will not lock into position.

The trouble seems to be that the mag catch hole is undersized on the non-Llama magazines. Before taking a Dremel to an expensive mag and try to correct this myself, does anyone have any suggestions or opinions.

An alternative would be to replace (that will need some modifications also) the mag catch. If this is the case, what are the modifications needed?

Thanks!!
Old February 2, 2001, 07:23 PM   #2
Jim V

I have not tried any of their magazines but check out Triple K Manufacturing. They advertise a ton of different and odd magazines in their print ads in SGN or GL.
Old February 2, 2001, 11:23 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Do not use a Dremel tool! And use only a magazine made for the .38 Super, not for the .45. Then, with the magazine fully in place, tap the left side of the mag catch to make a mark on the magazine. (You can smoke it or use a marking crayon if you want to see where the mark is.) Use a small flat file to enlarge the hole, working up to that mark. Go carefully and keep trying the mag, and I think you will get it to lock in. I believe the Colt magazine should work OK and would be your best bet.

Jim
Old February 3, 2001, 12:23 AM   #4
stuckatwork

Thanks guys.

No I was not trying to use a .45 mag. All the mags were 38 super. Okay, except the Wilson, I just tried it out of desperation and fustration to figure out what was going on.

Jim, when you said tap the mag catch on the left side, I am assuming you mean the round part that pushes out by the retaining screw when the release button is pushed in, right?

Sorry, it has been a long day and I'm a bit thick right now.

Thanks.