The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 28, 2000, 02:49 PM   #1
nedfig

I live and hunt here in South East Texas. North of Houston in the pine trees. I was wondering if anyone had any advice or special recipes for attracting ferrel hogs into my area.

Thanks
Old September 28, 2000, 03:09 PM   #2
Bud1

I grew up in South Texas, but I'll bet that our "bait" will work in the piney woods as well.

Fill a 5 gallon bucket with corn or milo, and put a can of cheap soda pop in it, along with 1/2 to 1 gallon of water. Cover it loosely and allow it to ferment for a few days. The smell will let you know when it is ready.

Dump it out in your pre-scouted area that shows recent hog sign. They will find it in a day or two.

You can make as much as you need, and keep topping off your pile on the ground. Once you see evidence that the hogs have been coming in and feeding, set up and have fun.

If you are up for a real rodeo, try one of those electronic calls. I like a tape called "feral piglet in distress." It will bring sows and boars running and looking for blood, so it is best to be well up in a tree or deer stand for your shots.

Bud
Old September 29, 2000, 05:55 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

That bait is pretty much what folks here in South Carolina use too. Usually a pound of sugar is used as opposed to the soft drink.

The other difference is that many folks use a post hole digger and dig a deep hole. Then the bait is poured in the hole. Keeps the hogs on site longer. However, we have clay and that may make a difference.

Giz

Old September 29, 2000, 08:24 AM   #4
BillX

I haven't tried to use this in a long time but it used to work very especially on the weekends.

Get to a popular bar sometime between 1 and 2 am sober. Leave drunk about an hour later. I used to almost always end up with a hog when doing this. It never failed.

------------------
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats." H.L. Mencken
Old September 29, 2000, 08:38 PM   #5
Ron Ankeny

Attracting hogs around here is easy. I go to the dirtiest little bar in town wearing a soiled t-shirt and a pair of Levi britches with a potato down the front.
Old September 30, 2000, 02:06 PM   #6
Paul B.

Ron! That's false advertising.
Paul B.
P.S. Sorry. I just couldn't help myself.
P.B.
Old September 30, 2000, 06:09 PM   #7
capnrik

If you don't have a potato, you can just pay for your beer with a hundred dollar bill.

Same effect.
Old September 30, 2000, 11:53 PM   #8
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Ron, just make sure the potato stays in front...

, Art