The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 21, 2001, 09:46 AM   #1
LTC K

1905 Savage Pocket Pistol

A friend has an inherited semi-auto Savage pistol in .32 Cal. It is stamped with a Pat. date of Nov 21 1905. The serial number is 38666. I can't find a Model number. It appears to be in working condition except for a century's accumulation of hard grease. The finish is poor. It has black plastic grips that bear the Savage emblem. I would like instructions for detail disassembly and any historical information you might have. Also information as to approximate current value.
Old November 21, 2001, 02:42 PM   #2
Steven Mace

Based on your description & serial number it sounds like you're describing a Savage Model 1907 Auto Pistol. The Model 1907 was manufactured from about 1907-1926 in either .32 ACP or .380 ACP in multiple variations. Yours would be considered a Mid-Production or 'Common Production' version falling in the serial number range of 10981-184600. In excellent condition it might be worth about $300-$425. Hope this helps!

Steve Mace
Old November 21, 2001, 08:19 PM   #3
LTC K

Thanks Steve,
Old November 21, 2001, 08:24 PM   #4
LTC K

Thanks Steve,
From your picture that is indeed the pistol she has but the condition is not nearly as good. Harley, can you help with the disassembly instructions?
Old November 22, 2001, 12:13 AM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

The basic disassembly: Make sure the gun is unloaded and the magazine removed. Pull back on the "slide" and lock it back with the safety. Then grasp the "hammer" and breech piece and squeeze the "hammer" back and down while turning the breech piece to the right (clockwise). The breech piece can be removed to the rear. Grasp the slide and release the safety, easing the slide forward and off the frame. The recoil spring and barrel can now be removed. Further disassembly is not recommended.

Do not remove the grips. They fit into a dovetail and lock into the frame with a little lug on the back. They have to be pried up and slid off to the rear. When they were new, this was easy, but that type of material (hard rubber) becomes brittle over the years and it is nearly impossible to remove them without breaking them.

Jim
Old November 22, 2001, 06:22 AM   #6
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

LTCK

I have sent, by separate email, what I have on this pistol. It is listed as the Savage 1910 Pocket Pistol, and by appearance is the same pistol as the 1905. Attached with the disassem. is also a brief History on the pistol. Although listed as the 1910 I believe the history will clairify the differences in the models.

HJN
Old November 22, 2001, 11:20 AM   #7
LTC K

Thanks to everybody. I have everything I need. I'll take this little monster apart, give it a good soaking and see if We can get it going. I can always count on my friends at TFL and especially this forum.
Old November 22, 2001, 11:46 AM   #8
johnwill

If you're interested in more data on your new pistol, try this guy's site, he has lots of production info on the Savage pistol. They are a neat little gun, I have three of them of various configurations. They are a nice shooting pistol, don't fail to take it to the range when you get it cleaned up. I'm keeping my eye out for a nice .380 version, all of mine are .32ACP.

Savage Pistols

Here's my 1907 transitional with the spur hammer.

Old November 22, 2001, 01:01 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I saw a whole stinking table of these at the Hugo's Show in Bealton, Virginia, this past week for very cheap prices.

An excellent example was less than $400, while examples with moderate amounts of bluing wear but good mechanically were in the high $200s.

I just about bought one.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old November 23, 2001, 12:07 AM   #10
johnwill

Mike,

My 1917, which is a mint pistol, cost me $300. The transitional 1907 that I posted in this thread cost $250, and it's pretty close to mint too. My early 1907 that's probably about 60-70% was the one that I paid $200 for. I'm still looking for a really nice early 1907 to match the condition of the other two. I'd also like to find a .380 model. FWIW, all of mine are in excellent mechanical condition, even the $200 one. The inside of the gun looks new, it's just the finish on that one that's a bit beat. I think the gunshow prices you saw were not all that cheap, they were in the ballpark for what I see around here.