The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 20, 2013, 10:02 PM   #1
Jumping_Jehosaphat

Is it worth getting a trigger job?

I carry an FNX 40 as my daily and have the 45 under the bed. I really like the triggers on them. I am also that guy that can't stand to leave things alone. I'm seriously thinking about getting a trigger job done to take up slack and lighten the trigger. For any of you guys (or gals) that have done this to a DA/SA gun regret it?
Old May 20, 2013, 10:19 PM   #2
BuckRub

#1 thing to do first on all pistols and rifles.
Old May 20, 2013, 10:56 PM   #3
jfrey

I do the polish job on all my Glocks, right out of the box. I put an Apex sear in my Shield but didn't like it too much so I changed it back to stock. Most all my 1911s have had trigger jobs done on them. It is mainly a matter of preference in each gun. If you want the trigger to be better on your FNX then go for it. The worst thing you may have to do is buy the parts and put it back stock if you don't like the results.
Old May 20, 2013, 11:21 PM   #4
Wreck-n-Crew

I have an apex on my carry and the trigger is smooth and breaks crisp. Also has a shorter trigger reset for follow ups.

I would never recommend a trigger pull under 3.5 lbs personally.
Old May 21, 2013, 05:28 PM   #5
AK103K

I say leave it alone, and put the time in to learn the trigger. You'll benefit a lot more in the long run, and you'll be a lot less trigger phobic overall.

These days, a bad factory trigger is a pretty rare thing. If you cant shot them as they come, thats really not the guns fault.

If all you can shoot, is some super tuned trigger, what good are you really in the real world? If you cant pick up pretty much anything and reasonably put it to work and shoot it, again, thats not the guns fault.

We are normally the weak link in the whole equation. Why make things worse by adding crutches that further weaken the equation?
Old May 21, 2013, 08:57 PM   #6
jfrey

I don't see this weakening the situation at all. Better triggers lend to better accuracy. I have 2.5 to 2.75 pound triggers on my range 1911s and a 4 pound trigger on my carry Glocks. If a trigger job will help your shooting why not do it. Glocks for example, come with very rough internal parts and lend to a hard break of the trigger. You can smooth them out and have a much nicer trigger pull without sacrificing any reliability or safety. In this day and time with prices being what they are for ammo, there is no reason, as some suggest, to run 1000 rounds through one to smooth it out. It isn't always necessary to learn to shoot a gun the way it is when you can spend a fairly small amount of cash and make it better. Most all commercial gun makers today are much more worried about liability lawsuits than they are about making a refined trigger in the first place.

Triggers are a personal decision in all cases. If you want to shoot it like it comes, go for it. I prefer to refine mine to perform better and work the way I want them to. When people say that a trigger pull shouldn't be less than a certain poundage that is just their personal opinion and doesn't apply to everyone and every situation.
Old May 21, 2013, 09:31 PM   #7
Ben Dover

Is it worthwhile?

In my experience, yes.

It is very important what a man stands for.
But it is far more important what a man refuses to stand for.
Old May 21, 2013, 09:35 PM   #8
BuckRub

I believe the same as jfrey. To each their own but on my Glock gen 4 22 I polished all internals. Got the 3.5# ghost connector, competition spring kit and a trigger bar. All cost about 30 dollars total and gives me a 3.1# trigger. This is my duty gun and when all you do is practice with it, it feels perfect and a duty gun if it ain't 100% reliable I'd put it back to factory. I shoot this gun about 4-5 days a week and within a year never had a hiccup of any kind. Maybe 4000 To 5000 rounds thru it. I love it.