The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 25, 2011, 12:50 PM   #1
unknown

why a 380 auto

so i have been looking at 380 autos for my CCW i have a s&w j frame that i carry right now that is something like 14 oz which is a little heaver than a 9 oz 380 auto but i find a lot of reviews saying that there are a lot of problems with these little guys but for some reason people are carrying them why??? is it really that hard to carry a revolver that weighs a bit more but is really reliable.
Old April 25, 2011, 12:56 PM   #2
30-30remchester

The reason this died in the wool Smith & Wesson wheel gun fanatic carries a 380 auto is it size. No matter what you do to a J frame Smith you cant carry make it flat enough and concealable as a Kel-Tec or Ruger lcp. I have never been able to put a revolver in an anke holster and get my pant legs over the gun.
Old April 25, 2011, 12:59 PM   #3
jmortimer

Like most anything it is personal choice. If you have to talk yourself into the .380 ACP don't , as you will never have confidence in it. For me, I like hard cast flat point bullets so the 9mm offers no advantage for me as a 100 grain fp in .380 ACp will shoot through the B/G and it has the same dimension/width as the 9mm. I would gain nothing except more recoil. For some the ,380 ACP makes sense and for many it does not. It works for me. For the record, the .380 ACP Federal Hydra Shok will penetrate 12" of ballistic gelatin and expand real nice. That is enough gun. There are many .380 ACPs that are trust your life reliable so that is not the problem and not sure if there are any "problems" if you choose a .380 ACP.

Last edited by jmortimer; April 25, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old April 25, 2011, 02:08 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

I own both a S&W Airweight 637 and a Ruger LCP. I can say I carry my Ruger LCP because it goes places that other guns won't. I can throw it in my pocket of basketball shorts or sweats and run to the store and the gun disappears. That's some thing that my Airweight won't do.

As far as reliablitiy, my LCP has been 100% reliable since I bought it and accurate enough.

If you find that revolver works well for you, there is no need to go with a .380. However, if there are times that you really want / need a pocket gun, a Ruger LCP is a great choice.
Old April 25, 2011, 02:13 PM   #5
carguychris

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

As others have already stated, subcompact .380 automatics are flatter than revolvers and therefore easier to conceal under tight clothing. They generally have higher capacity and a lighter trigger, assuming you don't fire the revolver SA, which is generally not recommended in a SD scenario. They're also usually less expensive than a .38 snubby from an esteemed manufacturer (i.e. not Taurus, Rossi, or Charter Arms).
Old April 25, 2011, 02:15 PM   #6
TinyDee

At one time I carried a Model 60 all of the time, but things change and now I have a LCP and a very nice Kahr P380. Both are small and very discreet to carry. I am quite happy with the two.
Old April 25, 2011, 02:32 PM   #7
Lemmon

The LCP trigger STINKS!!

My choices are for CCW:
1. 38 spec J frame
2. Glock 27
3. Taurus Slim 709
4. Ruger LCP

The LCP is nice small pistol fits anywhere but the trigger STINKS!!
My wife took my J frame and won't give it back.

Lemmon
Old April 25, 2011, 02:39 PM   #8
Iron Man

I carry a .380 almost all the time. However, mine is an Interarms Walther PPK/S in a holster.

My quick and dirty pocket guns are a Colt vest pistol or an Astra Firecat, both in .25 ACP.

My duty is to fight my way out of a gunfight, not stay in one.
Old April 25, 2011, 03:50 PM   #9
Bill DeShivs

You guys are half right. The trigger pull won't matter IF YOU CAN SHOOT THE GUN ACCURATELY.
You still need to practice, or in a SD situation, you'll miss, just like at the range.
Learn to shoot the gun at ranges up to 25 yards. If you are accurate at 25 yards, you certainly will be accurate at 7 yards. Don't cheat yourself by thinking any gun is only for shooting at 5-10 feet, and accepting half-assed accuracy at that distance thinking it will be "good enough."
Old April 25, 2011, 05:27 PM   #10
Mastifflover

Lasers only show you where your bullets are going to go when you do miss. The LCP trigger isn't bad just 3 miles long.
Old April 25, 2011, 05:56 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

The ineffectiveness of modern 380 ACP ammo is far more exaggerated by it's detractors than it's effectiveness is exaggerated by it's fans.
Nothing wrong with modern 380 ACP at expected CCW self defense ranges. No inherent problems with any of the modern "mouse guns" chambered for it.
I have had not one problem with my Elsie Pea through over 500 rounds of range practice. It is my go-to CCW whenever clothing prevents easy concealment of my Springer XD40 Sub. I have complete confidence in the Hornady Critical Defense 380 ACP ammo I carry in it to do the intended job of stopping the threat should one arise.
The 40 S&W in the Springer is just an added cushion of power and capacity when conditions allow. The LCP is much more comfortable to carry, and therefor gets the most use.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old April 25, 2011, 06:20 PM   #12
PawPaw

The gun you carry is a lot more effective than the one you leave at home.

What gun is in your pocket/on your belt right now? Right now. That's the one you're going to use.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old April 25, 2011, 06:27 PM   #13
9mm

It's good when you are trying to CC well. Like tight clothes. I have no problem day to day CC'ing around the house and cutting the grass. I think some people can not beer the weight of a gun. People need to get better belts :-)

My gun and magazines weight over 35oz.
Old April 25, 2011, 06:36 PM   #14
dahermit

The only reason I would carry a .380 is because that is the largest cartridge for which the Walther PPK is chambered for. The only reason I would carry a PPK is because of style...it is a classic beauty. The gun I really carry is a 5-shot .38 Spl. snub revolver.
Old April 25, 2011, 07:49 PM   #15
Dwight55

Probably the very best .380 value is the Bersa Thunder, . . . a PPK knockoff.

It is a bit on the large size when compared to the LCP and some others, . . . but it also soaks up some of the recoil that the others do not.

The .380 is effective if you can put em where they need to be, . . . that is the big limitation.

Personally, . . . my first choice is my XD45, . . . then my 1911 .45, . . . then the .380. It all depends on the dress and the destination. There are times the XD goes with me, . . . along with all three double stack mags.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 25, 2011, 08:03 PM   #16
Pyzon

Quote:
You still need to practice, or in a SD situation, you'll miss, just like at the range
I could not agree more strongly with this statement, common sense or not. The reason it applies more to guns like the P3AT or other tiny pistols is because of a couple things that are way more common in guns of that size:

1.) The mass of the pistol is by itself too small to provide enough "resistance" to cycle the action, so a good grip and stiff arm provides the missing mass to avoid "limp wristing" and feed problems. Practice is what makes good shooting habits, and the long trigger pull indeed complicates the whole thing.

2.) At least as important as good shooting technique is the need to make yourself take these little rascals out of the range bag and shoot them. I am probably like most of you, guys and gals, that do not find these small guys fun to shoot like the heavier guns. They pound the heck out of your hands and are hard to enjoy.

Because of lots of reasons like these, it is easy to find used guns in like new condition, since they really do not get much use, and that is a very scary thought, pistols in the pockets of especially new concealed carriers with little practice.

Just my thoughts.
Old April 25, 2011, 08:19 PM   #17
flashover251

My response to the OP's question is quite simple and a few people touched on it already. Ease of carry. 90% of the time I carry a TCP 380 and have had zero problems concealing it or with its function.

With that being said, the other 10% of the time I carry a HK P7. I would carry it all the time but its not the most concealable gun.
Old April 25, 2011, 09:41 PM   #18
Bill DeShivs

The Keltec P32 is a joy to shoot.
Old April 25, 2011, 10:24 PM   #19
orionengnr

Quote:
What gun is in your pocket/on your belt right now? Right now. That's the one you're going to use.
Kimber Pro Eclipse II...because I shoot it better than anything I own and it works 100% of the time.

I've owned a half dozen j-frames, and they are not all that small. I own an LCP and a Kahr PM9, each of them gets carried about 3 days per year...although, in fairness, each of them is 100% reliable as well, and I shoot each pretty decently. But I trust the .45 acp cartridge and my ability to shoot it well.

I don't have any plans to sell the LCP...at least until I can afford a Kahr P380.
Old April 26, 2011, 01:11 AM   #20
Mosin44az

I find I can carry my Smith Bodyguard Airweight .38 most of the time in my front pocket.

But I can ALWAYS carry the LCP, even in lightweight dress slacks, even in pants with short pockets. It IS smaller. And I have gotten used to the trigger after 1000 rounds, and can shoot it well out to 7 yards or so.

If you have an Airweight, don't sell it, you may still want to carry it. The baby .380 is a supplement when you have to go really small. I recommend the LCP, but also look at the Smith Bodyguard .380, has better sights and lighter recoil than the LCP.

If worried about recoil, the Kel-tec P32 doesn't hurt at all and can be shot very fast and accurately, nice trigger. I used FMJs in mine for more penetration.
Old April 26, 2011, 09:51 PM   #21
drb1611

Sig P238 with Hornady Critical Defense ammo. Although you can argue limited stopping power based on the size of the round, I adhere to the principle that it's all about accuracy, accuracy and accuracy.

Sig P250C - 9mm/.40/.357/.45; Sig P250FS - 9mm; Sig P250SC - 9mm/.40; Sig P229R DAK - .40/.357/9mm; Sig SP2022 - .40/.357/9mm; Sig P238 - .380; Glock 19 Gen 4 - 9mm; Glock 30SF - .45; S&W Model 19 - .357 Magnum
Old April 26, 2011, 09:55 PM   #22
Hog Red

i carry a 380 cause my Deagle 50 cal. wont fit in my pocket.
Old April 26, 2011, 11:16 PM   #23
kinoons

There is no compelling reason to carry a .380 auto. The recent release of slim 9mm autos make size a moot point. I have found that I can conceal my PPS in all given situations so I believe that size is a bit of a cop-out anyways.

In addition, you need both penetration to 12" of gel and expansion to give you the best chance of incapicating your attacker. Current .380 rounds fail to do both very well.

You're in a fight for your life. Relying on a head shot is a poor tatic. Heads are small and tend to be moving. Stack the deck in your favor as much as possible, choose a service caliber pistol.
Old April 26, 2011, 11:28 PM   #24
gyvel

My pocket carry gun is the FN/Browning Model 1910 in .380. It is flat, reliable, and does not have any sights or hammers to snag on the way out.
Old April 27, 2011, 12:34 AM   #25
jmortimer

"...you need both penetration to 12" of gel and expansion to give you the best chance of incapicating your attacker. Current .380 rounds fail to do both very well."
Brassfetcher report 2-28-2010 report by John Ervin shows the .380
ACP is enough gun. The Federal Hydra Shok will hit 12" with full expansion out of a 2.75" barrel.