The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 17, 2010, 08:54 PM   #1
I-DID_IT

Exactly how many?

I just bought a new 870 Express model 25077, 18 1/2" barrel, black synthetic stock. When I bout this gun from the gun show here in Atlanta, I was told this gun was a 6+1 shotgun. Before I bought the shotgun I done my homework and even the Remington site list this as a 7 shot shot gun. Now I went out shooting this weekend and unless I didn't finish Kindergarden I am only counting 5 in the hole and one in the chamber. That is 6 correct? I have read a few forums on here and someone explains something about maybe having to remove something? Can someone please help me explain this to me. Hell you never know, when someone comes knocking on your door at 3 a.m wanting to borrow a cup of sugar, I want all I can give'em!!!!
Old October 17, 2010, 08:59 PM   #2
zoomie

What size shells did you use? 2 3/4 or 3"? (Though it shouldn't matter.) A normal plug would limit the mag to 2 shells, but I guess you could have a shorter plug in there. Read page 11 here: http://www.remington.com/~/media/Fil...ls/om_870.ashx

Last edited by zoomie; October 17, 2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old October 18, 2010, 06:47 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The 870 with the 18" barrel holds 6 rounds in the magazine and 1 in the chamber for a total of 7.
Many sources simply list this as a "7 shot gun", which confuses people when they can only get 6 in the magazine.

Also, shotgun shells vary in LOADED length from type of shell to brand of shell.
The listed length is the FIRED length.
Due to how the shell is crimped and loaded the unfired length varies.
Often it varies enough that you can only get 5 shells in the magazine if the brand of shell is a little longer loaded than another brand or type.