The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 1, 2007, 11:12 PM   #1
RsqVet

Anyone had problems with remington stocks

Hey... has anyone out there had problmes with remington stocks suffering damage from common gun cleaning agenst such as action scrubber?

I just began working on cleaning my 11-87 and the forarm and cap on the stock appear eaten / discolored...

Am somewhat disgusted at the moment... anyone else every experinced similar?

They are just plain black plastic stocks and forarm, no wood, no cammo overcoat or anything...

thanks
Old May 1, 2007, 11:38 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Many plastics and stock finishes are attacked by some chemicals.
Usually the gun scrubbers say something on the can about testing on plastics or warning to keep it off stocks.

Where you using actual GUN cleaning chemicals or some of the automotive cleaners like brake cleaner?

Remington plastic stocks are made of nylon, which is a pretty solvent resistant plastic.
If it was a gun cleaning chemical, contact the maker and complain about it to them.
Old May 2, 2007, 02:11 AM   #3
RsqVet

Yup, regular old gun scrubber by Birchwood Casey, I have gotten lax as it's never harmed any polymer parts I have used it on previously, needless to say now I know.

The stock is a speed feed I believe and it appears to have just hazed slightly the cap on the stock where usually it would have an SF but that's not there as it's a Remington factory stock.

It's a remington forend and I have for the moment salvaged it... it was rendered a very light haze gray by the solvent exposure... still seems otherwise ok, no melting or anything just very discolored, with a bit of turtle wax and oil rubing it's once again black or blackish... kind of like the rest of the gun which is parkerized... gets very light when it has no oil on it.

Have to be glad that it was not a surefire forend or something... will use it for now, as it's servicable enough, sooner or latter I have to decide if I want to deck this gun out with a sure-fire foreend as well and keep it here or get another 870 to send off to the other place.
Old May 2, 2007, 07:25 AM   #4
johnbt

I just rub some oil or light grease on my synthetic 1100 when that happens - whatever happens to be on my hands at the time. I guess wax would work, but I haven't tried it. BTW, I've never used brake cleaner, only the common gun liquids and sprays. The sprays all strip the oils off whatever they hit.

John