The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2006, 03:36 PM   #1
Mikee

Please help Rem. 1100 jammed!

Hello. I decided to get out and shoot my Rem 1100, and either stuck too many shells in it, or what I don't know, but I can't get it to shoot, or eject a shell, and there is a shell that I can see the end of in the chamber, and one underneath the part that you push up to load the shell in. I think that I took the plug out of this gun years ago. I can't remember. Thanks for any advice!
Mikee
Old January 9, 2006, 03:43 PM   #2
9mmMike

That sounds scary.
The bolt back is closed or halfway or what?
Were I you, I'd make sure the safety was on and push the trigger group pins out and drop the group. You may wish to pull the barrel first to get that chambered round out of the way but that could be tough and not too safe if the bolt is closed.
I have never seen an 1100 in that state.
Dropping that group is an easy job and can be done with the nosiy end pointed well away from anything you care about.
Be careful,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old January 9, 2006, 05:38 PM   #3
kudu

I would start by pulling th ebarrel off, take the forearm off and pull the barrel out of the chamber being careful to keep it pointed in a safe direction with the safety on. If that doesn't free up the shells, drop the trigger group as 9mmMike suggested.

Then I would do a deep cleaning of the magazine tube and chamber to try and figure out what did this to begin with. Sometimes rust will develop inside the mag tube and will keep things locked up if it hasn't been taken care of properly.
Old January 10, 2006, 05:54 PM   #4
3o3brit

When I had a 1100 it would sometimes do that, it happens when you do not push the shell into the magazine far enough to pass the catch .

Use a knife blade to push the shell under the carier back into the magazine and it should let you clear the action then