The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 16, 2005, 11:07 AM   #1
zimm

Remington 1100 classic vs. Beretta 391

I'm shopping for a clays gun- informal trap and sporting clays. I like the Remington because I already have a 870 express and a 700BDL, and I like to be loyal to my brands.

But doing internet research, I also see the Beretta 391 is touted as a better shotgun.

So...which is really better? It seems the clay ranges are like informal gun shows for nice looking firearms, so which one will be the best looking in fit/finish?

Looking for pros and cons of either. The 1100 is roughly $700. The Beretta is a few hundred more.

I plan to only shoot 2 3/4" 1-1/8th oz loads.
Old March 16, 2005, 12:31 PM   #2
Steamboatsig

I was in the market for a Remington 1100 or 11-87 for use at the clay range. I also wanted a Remington because I have an 870 Wingmaster. The salesperson showed me a Franchi Raptor 712 and I fell in love. Check it out, it has a ported barrel, three chokes, the reciever is nickel plated alloy and the stocks are Turkish walnut. I have no idea how it shoots because I haven't received it yet. I don't think it is a good hunting gun because all the birds will see you from a mile away, but worth a look at $799. Franchi is now owned by Benelli who is owned by Beretta. Benelli's Inertia action system has trickled down to Franchi's new I-12. The I-12 is less expensive than the Raptor 712 but in my opinion not as pretty.
Old March 16, 2005, 08:19 PM   #3
HSMITH

The 1100 is a FINE shotgun, but recent Remington production quality has left me underwhelmed to say the least. As good a shotgun as the 1100 is, and I own one, I think the 391 is a better shotgun. The only other autoloading shotgun in current production I classify as being as good as the 391 is the Winchester SuperX2.