The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 23, 2011, 03:45 PM   #1
blincoln

Cheap Plinking .45GAP Ammo

Any recommendations for brand and/or online stores to purchase low-cost plinking ammo for a G38?

I know that plinking, cheap and .45GAP dont go in the same sentence, but as cheap as I can get without going reloads would be helpful... Its not much fun to have a weapon if you cant go out and send some rounds down range without selling a kidney to fund it.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:00 PM   #2
Burger

No such thing.

Let us know if you do find anything
Old November 23, 2011, 04:02 PM   #3
Adamantium

Georgia Arms makes good stuff and will probably be hard to beat price wise with $330 for 1000 rounds.

http://georgia-arms.com/45gap.aspx
Old November 23, 2011, 04:03 PM   #4
TunnelRat

Quote:
Its not much fun to have a weapon if you cant go out and send some rounds down range without selling a kidney to fund it.
Unless it's a duty weapon, in which case I understand you didn't have a choice, that is something that should be thought of before you buy the gun.
Maintain situational awareness
Old November 23, 2011, 04:05 PM   #5
lawnboy

40-50 cents a round is about as low as you'll find. And that will be online. Stores will start at 50 cents and go up.

UMC sells for $22/50rds. Online.

If you want inexpensive shoot something else. At those prices you can shoot 3 9mm or 2 .45 ACP for every .45GAP. You could trade in your gun for another I guess.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old November 23, 2011, 04:05 PM   #6
m&p45acp10+1

Reloading your own can cut cost. For the most in savings you would not only have to reload your own, but change out the barrell to shoot cast lead.

For the cost of both that would probably put you in the area of maybe considering a used G19 in 9mm for cheap plinking.

Other than that the only recomendation I could make would be .22 lr. It is the cheapest plinking ammo made that I know of. 550 rounds for under $20 at any Walmart that sells ammo.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:07 PM   #7
blincoln

Quote:
Georgia Arms makes good stuff and will probably be hard to beat price wise with $330 for 1000 rounds.

http://georgia-arms.com/45gap.aspx
Any word on their reliability?
Old November 23, 2011, 04:09 PM   #8
blincoln

Thanks for the suggestions on another weapon for plinking. I do have a 9mm that I plink with mostly, and the .45 is being considered for CCW. If I blow through 300 rounds of 9mm at the range, it would be nice to go through 50-100 with my carry weapon to keep up the confort as it were.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:10 PM   #9
Adamantium

They are discussed here on the forum, try a search. I am personally an avid reloader but I have shot with people who shoot it and they like it.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:10 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

I have not heard of anyone saying anything bad about their quality at all.

Some folks were antsy during the ObamaNation scare after the last election about the wait, and getting half of a large order, and a note that they would ship the rest on thier own dime when it could be made.

I have not shot it myself as I reload my own.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Adamantium

Something to think about is if you are dead set on not reloading still save your brass and selling it online to recoup some of the cost.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:20 PM   #12
blincoln

Thanks for the info. I have heard a lot of mention about reloading to save money. Is there a forum or site somewhere (since I am too lazy to search on my own I guess) that outlines the process and tools/equipment necessary to reload ammo? Beyond the cost of the GAP ammo, I go through about 2000 rounds of 9mm a year and it might make sense if it doesnt cost too much to get into.
Old November 23, 2011, 04:36 PM   #13
m&p45acp10+1

There is a reloading forum right here on this site. Also it has a few stickies for those considering reloading.

Now that said reloading ball parked figure for a single stage press, with the bare essentials of equipment not counting supplies. Is just shy of $200.

Lee Breach Lock Challenger single stage press with kit is about $110 +/- $20 depending on where you buy it.

Dial Caliper that measures in thousanths. 0.001 inrements is around $30 +/- 10 depending on brand, and where you buy it.

$30 for an upgrade scale from the kit for a cheapo digital. (The high quality ones run into the how much do realy want to spend range.) Or a Good user friendly easy to read for not so good eye sight beam scale starts in the $50 to $75 dollar range. (If you are ok with using the scale that comes with the Lee kit then this expendeture is not necessary. The first thing I spent upgrading was buying a digital scale. I am glad I did too.

Ok and the most important thing is a manual. Prime is gonna be from about $15 to $39 depending on publisher, where you buy it, and if it is paper back, or hard cover. You mentioned you are loading for a handgun I would recomend Lyman's Pistol & Revolver 3rd editon. (I paid $15 for mine at Cabella's.)

Tags
.45 gap , ammo , cheap , online , plinking