The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 28, 2013, 02:49 PM   #1
SIGSHR

Durability of Armi San Marco revolvers?

On another board a member told a new BP shooter to avoid Armi San Marco revolvers because their internal parts were not properly heat-treated and hence not durable? Anyone know about this?
Old August 28, 2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Doc Hoy

I believe it is true....

That ASM internals suffer from softness in the metal. But I am not sure I think it is a terrible problem.

I have a lot of ASM pieces and they are reliable for the amount that I shoot which is not excessive.

You can't get ASM parts any longer and so if you have a problem with an ASM revolver, you will be fixing it with parts that are manufactured for other revolvers or you will be buying a part that the vendor says is an ASM part but really isn't.

You can buy an internal's kit from Cabelas for about 35.00 which has more parts than you will ever need. So as I see it, ASM revolvers should not be avoided on the strength of the argument that they are too soft.

On the other hand, if you already have one and want to get rid of it, I would be happy to give it a good home.
Old August 28, 2013, 05:37 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Listen to Doc . . . I know he's worked on a number of 'em.

Over the years, I've also run across the comments that ASM isn't any good . . . internals are crap . . . yadda, yadda, yadda

I've owned three ASM's - a '51 Navy, a '62 Pocket and I currently have a '61 Navy. All of them were well made and I never had a problem with 'em. The only reason I don't own the '51 and the '62 now is that I figured I'd "down size the herd" some. I used the '51 to trade for a Colt Army Special and I sold the '62 as I didn't shoot it that much. As far as my plans to "down size" . . . well I guess that will never work.

I'm sure that if you shot the heck out of one of 'em, at some point you might need to do some work on it . . . but the same goes for any other brand whether it be ASM, Uberti or Pietta. I'd have no problem in buying another ASM and shooting it. I passed on a ASM '61 Navy conversion in 38 spl once and I have always regretted it - it was a beautiful piece. Like many of the threads on the internet . . . everyone has an opinion . .. which they are entitled to. How many times do we see arguments about the quality of Heritage, Taurus, S & W, Colt and the list goes on and on.

It's nice to see thought, that Doc wouldn't turn away an ASM and he'd give it a good home . . I wonder how he feels about three legged goats? I have a herd of about 600 head or so that I'd like to get rid of . . . hmmmm . . . maybe I should check on what it would cost to ship 'em to his location "freight collect"?
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old August 28, 2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Hawg

ASM's have a rep for spotty quality on internal parts. Some were good, some not so good. If the price is right I don't see it as a deal breaker. You may have to fit parts but then you have to do that on some Uberti and Pietta parts. The difference is it is usually a long time before you have to replace any Uberti/Pietta parts, if you ever do.
Old August 28, 2013, 09:49 PM   #5
n5lyc

I currently own 3 asm's.
an 1851 kit in .36 (it has not been finished yet).
an 1861 navy in .36,
and a 1860 army in .44

Here is a review of my ASM 1861 navy that shows some of the quality issues that came with it, but with all that stacked against it, the way it shoots, I have no intention of parting with it anytime soon. so far i have fired over 300 rounds through this pistol, and have no idea how many were fired before i got it.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528341

the 1851 is a brass framed kit that has never been completed(i bought it to let my nephew complete the kit and learn some skills)

the 1860 has no issues, good timing, tight lockup, accurate, and shoots almost as good as the 1861. and i have fired this one over 100 times with no issues.

I can't complain about ASM, I feel I have gotten my moneys worth of enjoyment out of them, and feel I will get years more from them.

I have others, Pietta, A.S.P., and Uberti and GLB (a Schneider & Glassick .36 caliber)

Like Doc, I will give ANY Cap & Ball or single action revolver a good home, I don't care who made it.

I don't discriminate..

If the price is right, get it and enjoy it.

45 Bravo
2. He will be aiming the NEW Weapon at someone carrying an AK.
Old August 29, 2013, 06:35 AM   #6
North East Redneck

I have an ASM '58. Been shooting it for a couple years. 100s of rounds through it. So far no problems at all.
Old August 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #7
Hellgate

They are what I started out with for CAS/SASSmatches back in the 1990s. Depending on the importer they varied considerably. Most of my ASM guns (all Colt clones) have at one time broken their hand springs. Some of the importers never specified to CLEAN the guns after proof testing and arrived brand new with rusted barrels. The best one I ever had was an ASM "Hartford Model 1860 Army from EMF. Better finish. At that time ('90s) I had my best ones (a pair if 44 cal '51 Navies and the Hartford 1860) tuned by a perfectionist gunsmith (Mad Dog McCracken) and he hardened the triggers, smoothed up the innards and timed them. They STILL are my "serious" match guns in spite of all the other guns I've had (38 so far, kept about 15). When I had him "tune" a Pietta 1860 Army he said the internals were crap. The only Pietta I own now is a J H Dance model and it runs great. I hear the Piettas are much better made these days.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old August 29, 2013, 01:26 PM   #8
swathdiver

Deer Creek still has and sells ASM parts.

Our ASMs have faster twist rifling suited for conicals compared with older Uberti and most all Piettas.
Old August 29, 2013, 02:02 PM   #9
Doc Hoy

Careful

What Deer Creek has in actual ASM parts for replica cap and ball revolvers is limited to screws and not much else.

They have parts that they are selling which they say are ASM, but what they really mean is that they are manufactured now to fit ASM revolvers.

That information is about a year old and they may have come up with some old stock original ASM parts but I doubt it.
Old August 30, 2013, 07:55 AM   #10
robhof

robhof

I have 3 ASM's and shoot them pretty regularly with no problems. My 1st was an 1849 baby dragoon and it came with a few problems, but thanks to the great people on this site, it works great now and is my wife's favorite gun. It has had many rounds through it and it still licks up tight and shoots straight!
Old August 31, 2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Hellgate

I tried calling Deer Cr several times yesterday but all I got over an hour was a constant busy signal. I have 2 or 3 ASM 44 cal colt cylinders in the white and wanted to sell them to them but no answer.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old August 31, 2013, 11:49 AM   #12
Doc Hoy

I started working with Deer Creek about 3 years ago

At that time there was what I thought was a somewhat elderly couple operating the business. They were great folks to deal with but the operation was limited by a lack of technology and then further limited when one of the pair took sick.

At that point it seemed as though everything came to a screeching halt.

Then about 18 months ago, I think a younger person, perhaps a son, took over and service seemed to be back on track.

I am dismayed to learn from your post that the business is perhaps again on less than firm footing.

Deer Creek was for a long time a real asset to the BP way of life. It would be a shame if they were no longer among us.

Tnx,
Old September 1, 2013, 11:48 PM   #13
swathdiver

They probably took the day off for a long holiday weekend or he called during lunch hour. They don't answer the phones during lunch or after closing.
Old September 7, 2013, 12:00 AM   #14
North East Redneck

I purchased an extra cylinder for my '58 ASM several months ago. Can't remember if it came from VTI or elsewhere. Anyway, it works nicely. Gun runs well with it.
Old August 18, 2016, 02:36 PM   #15
Doug Bowser

I have an ASM 1873 revolver. It functions well and I will replace any bad parts with Uberti parts. I had 2 ASM 1873 revolvers in .45 Colt. I used them in CAS shooting and shot many thousands of rounds out of them. No timing or internal problems. I did break a trigger-bolt spring and I replaced it with a coil Hiene spring. I would recommend the ASM cartridge revolvers.
Old August 20, 2016, 07:12 PM   #16
snubnose57

I bought a used ASM 1858 Remington.
Had to tap the cylinder pin out.
Turns out when the hole in the frame was off center of the pin.
Old August 20, 2016, 11:40 PM   #17
BlackPowderBen

Snubnose, was the ASM 1858 remington a brasser? A friend of mine has a ASM brass remington that has the same problem.
Old October 7, 2016, 06:28 PM   #18
snubnose57

sorry for the long reply, been away.
No, it is steel frame. Dummy be, I thought I could file off the cylinder pin until it would slide into the offsetting hole.
Now the pin is out of round.
If I now hammer in, it will cock 3 times OK, then I have to turn the cylinder for the last 3, guess I messed it up for good.
Ordered a new pin from Dixie, but it was too fat.
Old October 21, 2016, 02:25 PM   #19
MadSweeney

One of my NSSA team mates has had an ASM 44 Remington since the 70's. Must have a gajillion rounds through it. The only problem I ever heard him have was a soft spring (forget which one).