The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2012, 10:22 AM   #1
JDP

Remington - The Sportsman, 20 Gauge

I have a Remington The Sportsmand, 20 gauge. The serial number is S6241. Letters on the left side of the barrel appear to be RC. An anchor, a heart, R.E.P., a "5", and some other marks are engraved into the barrel. It has a two-shot magazine. Any information on this gun, including its year of production, would be appreciated.
Old July 21, 2012, 02:25 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'm assuming this is the old humpback model 11 variant.

Good shotgun.

Call Remington at 1-800-243-9700. Work through the phone tree to a real live person. Give them the serial number and model and they'll be happy to give you the official born on date.
Old July 22, 2012, 05:43 PM   #3
PawPaw

Great shotgun. My son has one, it's his great-grandfather's shotgun, used by four generations of our family. It's still running strong. We shoot it regularly, the last time I remember was Thanksgiving past when we all assemble in Dad's pasture for an afternoon skeet shoot. Value? Priceless.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 24, 2012, 05:33 PM   #4
JDP

Remington - The Sportsman, 20 Gauge

Dave McC, Paw Paw,

Thanks for the posts and info. I did contact Remington, and the contact said the gun was manufactured in 1940. From the code of RC, I thought it was a little older than that. But then again, S---- serial number did not correspond to anything I was reading about.
Old July 24, 2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're very welcome.

I had a family 11, now owned by a cousin. A smith advised me to get new friction pieces and springs, have him install a new fiber buffer in the receiver (Which got cleaned for the very first time then) and expect to repeat that every 10K rounds.

Enjoy....
Old July 25, 2012, 05:49 AM   #6
Salmoneye

Unless you know the provenance of the gun and are positive the barrel has not been swapped, it is a very poor indicator of the date of the gun as a whole...

Due to the simplicity of changing barrels on the Model 11, it is common for the date code to not match the serial number date...Many people owned more than one barrel...

As I am sure you determined already, RC is November of 1934, and pretty sure that is too early to be a 'Sportsman' 3-shot...

Here is an old thread I just found:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=320752