The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 16, 2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Venom1956

Making a handgun rack.

Hey all I need to build a rack for my gun safe in order to hold my pistols. they currently all can't fit. I have several designs in mind I have to see which one will work the best for me.

I have few questions.

What would be the best material to pad the area where the firearms would rest upon? I was thinking felt but I don't it seems like that would hold moisture and ruin the bluing. also the felt I have has some adhesive on the back much like a sticker Is that something I should shy away from?

I currently have some composite lumber I thought would ideal for inside a safe since its won't degrade or need chemicals on it. Or am I mistaken?

Lastly I was thinking about covering the edging of my safe where the door is since its basically just metal, because I have rarely bumped my guns against it making some nice marks on them... Only twice but both times I was quite irritated with myself. I considered some weather stripping of some sort.

Any suggestions are welcome. I need a project I'm getting quite bored on my days of this seems to fit the bill nicely.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old May 16, 2010, 07:26 PM   #2
ENC

I have used scrap pieces of a commercial type carpet and it works nicely. It holds up better than felt. But I work in construction and don't have to pay for it either. It might be hard to source that small amount of carpet.

Evan
Old May 28, 2010, 02:41 PM   #3
Sixer

Here is one I made a year or two ago. I just used some scrap wood, a scroll saw, and some felt with the sticky reverse side. The small seperators are square dowels glued to the bottom piece. It works like it's supposed to and have no issues with rust...

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old June 1, 2010, 08:38 PM   #4
sophijo

Rack

Wally world has rubber coated wire pot-lid racks that hold 8 handguns for $4.
Look in kitchen supplies. Perfect for a safe.
Old June 2, 2010, 03:19 PM   #5
mikejonestkd

I'll second the walmart racks. I have three of them in one safe and they are cheap, strong, and keep the handguns from touching each other.