The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old April 29, 2009, 11:28 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

going to camo those guns... want orange, & not lose the tacticool look

I have several guns that I have the potential to hunt with in the next couple years that are custom, & in need of some sort of metal finish... a good share of them are custom Contender barrels...

I've been hunting with Contenders for years, & for last years deer hunting season I had 2 different actions & barrels out because of the variety of terrain... it sleeted most all week, & between getting soaked, & the humidity in the hunting shack of drying boots & jackets, I had a real hard time fighting rust on my 2 guns...

I have a custom 223 & 280 SPC barrel that need a finish as well...

I've been looking at camo finishes, because some of the deer I hunt, can be almost too close, & for varmint hunting & such, but worry about holstering my 10" Contender, & jogging 60-70 yards down a fire lane to get a better shot, or hiking up a steep bluff ( sometimes almost cliffs ) & getting to the top & realizing that some how I'd dropped my camo colored weapon... I'm not a real big fan of camo colored radios etc... & would prefer a color more easy to see...

anyway... I'm thinking I don't want to do my whole gun in orange camo just in case TSHTF or something, so I've been thinking about camo on the gun, & a matching camo on the grips, only substatuting orange for one of the camo colors, so the gun is camo, but the grips are orange camo... that way if TSHTF I could swap out the grip & fore end for either a matching camo, or black, or wood...

anyone ever do anything similar ???

here is an AR I did up in paint with some ideas... anything I could improve on???

I have a local custom painter that paints my ATV's & is very tallented, & has the equipment & special paint needed to paint the plastic grips, etc.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Advanced tiger strip camo.jpg (65.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Advanced tiger strip camo smaller.JPG (43.8 KB, 663 views)
Old April 29, 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
davlandrum

AARRGGHHH - MY EYES!!!!!

Sorry, nothing more constructive than that....

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 29, 2009, 01:22 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

Hey that's fair... 1st off I'm not an AR guy, ( I found a pic of an AR that had a similar "pattern" to what think I was looking for...I'm talking mostly Contenders both handguns & Carbines, which would have much simpler lines...

& I'm talking turkey gun "style" camo...

so now that I burned your eyes... help me prevent that in the future ( because there will be pics later ) by helping me "refine" what I'm trying to do here... what do you think think would look better ( even if it isn't your type of thing ) ( camo rifles are not really my kind of thing, I currently don't own any gun that is camo... I don't even like black guns ) differnt "style" of camo different color scheme ???
Old April 29, 2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Dingoboyx

Yuck

Looks like someone was eating a pizza and puked on your gun..... sorry
Old April 29, 2009, 01:29 PM   #5
fbrown333@suddenlink

I wouldn't do it for the turkey gun but for some of the others it might be ok. They are your firearms and you can do what you want. Turkeys see color very well and would likely spot you with the orange. I try not to miss match my camo when ever possible (makes you kinda stand out) in my opinion. It will let other hunters be more likely to see you though( could be good could be bad).
Old April 29, 2009, 02:37 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Go digital style... easy to do...
Go to a hobby shop dealing in planes and cars of the R/C type. They should have a display of metal plate and tube in brass and other metal.
A few square tubes of various size and some manilla folders will make templates. Punching the holes takes a sharpened end that will need redone several times. Use a backer plate of several layers of cardboard that you can replace if needed.
The trick is not to make just a square but using the same size tube (smalltube) punch a square corner above a larger square etc. Look at digital camo images for ideas.
Spray entire surface with your orange first and nearly cover it with your camo colors...
Brent
Old April 29, 2009, 03:14 PM   #7
davlandrum

If I was going to go camo on a gun, I would go Vietnam tiger-stripe because I think it looks cool. Digital camo does nothing for me.

One solution (instead of blaze orange) might be to put a lanyard ring on your contender and use a lanyard (in the Army, we called them "dummy cords").

Just a thought

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old April 29, 2009, 03:33 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Dav, please enlighten me... what does a piece of parachute cord have in common with a paintjob?
I am thinking he means a visible gun for safety sake not a gun tied to yer wrist in case you drop it in like colored leaves I know of a camo pocket knife lost in low light that could have used a "sissy strap"...
Brent
Old April 29, 2009, 03:40 PM   #9
davlandrum

Brent,

Quote:
getting to the top & realizing that some how I'd dropped my camo colored weapon... I'm not a real big fan of camo colored radios etc... & would prefer a color more easy to see...
That is exactly why he wanted it orange. Or at least the way I understood the OP.

Dave

Old April 29, 2009, 03:45 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

OOps, my mistake....
Brent
Old April 29, 2009, 03:47 PM   #11
davlandrum

Brent,

Sometimes I get lucky while dispensing my pearls of wisdom, sometimes not...

Old April 29, 2009, 03:50 PM   #12
Magnum Wheel Man

I wanted some orange on it in case it got dropped from the holster...

a lanyard has other issues though... if it was attached to my wrist, it would keep me from holstering it, to use my hands for climbing, if it was attached to the holster, it would have to be long enough to extend to my reach, & would then always be getting tangled in the thick brush...

I do have a hammer loop ( I'm using a cowboy rig ) but if I had the gun out, & reholstered it while moving through some thick brush quickly, I might forget to put the hammer loop back on...

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; April 29, 2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old April 29, 2009, 03:50 PM   #13
shortwave

As fbrown333 referred to, paint blaze orange on a turkey gun and you`ll surely come home with empty pockets. As far as your color scheme ,w e l l, I`ll just say if it makes you happy, it tickle`s me greatly.
Old April 29, 2009, 03:56 PM   #14
Magnum Wheel Man

sorry... I used turkey as an example... the guns would all be used for big game hunting, or varmints...

as for the little bit of orange ??? in the fall might not be so bad, you have summac & red oak & maple leaves with similar color...

last year while deer hunting in a "fab in place" blind on a fallen oak, I had litterally 20 turkeys go right over the top of me... I was laying on the ground in a blaze orange coveralls
Old April 29, 2009, 03:59 PM   #15
davlandrum

Best set up for a lanyard (my opinion) is tied chest high on your pack strap, or even through a chest pocket button hole. From there, you need very little slack in it to go from holster to draw.

Anyway, I will let you get back to the painting discussion after I totally took a left turn on this...

Old April 29, 2009, 04:00 PM   #16
Daryl

I painted one rifle with a really nice camo pattern. Never again.

The paint chips, and rubs off fairly easily, and isn't necessary in any way, shape, or form.

If your gun is shiney, wrap some black, brown, or green vet wrap around it. It's available at your local feed store, comes off easily, and leaves no mess on the firearm.

Seriously though, I've been pretty close to a lot of game, and never had a problem with them noticing my rifle. They'll see your face or movement first.

Daryl
Old April 29, 2009, 04:11 PM   #17
Magnum Wheel Man

I'm as much concerned about corrosion resistance as anything ( those engraved mountain lions on the sides of the action will draw rust very very easily on even a well oiled gun if out in the rain / sleet all day...

the guy I know could do the "Dura Kote" type paint on both the metal the plastic fore arm & grip ( I just changed out my fore arm & grip from the rubber "packy's" to the stock rynite or what ever black plastic fore end & grip...

I was close enough ( too close ) to several deer last year that anything I can do to mask my movement would help...
Old April 29, 2009, 04:18 PM   #18
masterhunter

Hey its your gun whatever.........
Old April 29, 2009, 04:20 PM   #19
masterhunter

This may be more up your alley.....
Old April 29, 2009, 04:21 PM   #20
Magnum Wheel Man

Master... I've seen the "moth" camo... it's pretty cool but too big a patterns for the little Contenders...

now a set of Coveralls to replace my plain blaze orange one... now were talking...

nope... the pink is not my style at all...
Old April 29, 2009, 04:28 PM   #21
masterhunter

Just giving ya options..........
Old April 29, 2009, 04:31 PM   #22
Playboypenguin

When the heck is that pink camo supposed to be useful? While infiltrating a "Hello Kitty" convention?
Old April 29, 2009, 04:46 PM   #23
L_Killkenny

I painted a .22 blaze orange for the same reason you want to. I used the gun for coon hunting and was always leaning it against a tree or log when tying dogs back skinning the coon. I was always have to search for it afterwards.

First off, I think camo on rifles is overrated. I've seen a bunch of coyotes come charging in to unpainted, wood stocked guns. Even with movement from the shooter to get on target. So you might consider just getting some orange "vet wrap" and wrap part of your stock up to make it more visible to you.

I painted my yote gun because it was solid black. Stock and all. Here's a pic:

I used leaves to make templates. You could substitute orange for any of the colors on there and make it work without it being to obnoxious.
Old April 30, 2009, 06:18 AM   #24
Magnum Wheel Man

this is my 45 Colt +P Contender with Williams fiber optic ghost ring sights... the barrel is customized with a tighter chamber & target crown... the original front sight was silver soldered on, & the barrel is a left hand twist that was formerly chambered in 45 Win Mag... ( I used to have a 10" 45 Colt / 410... but wanted a better chamber for the 45 Colt round for hunting )

the action & barrel wears a Packy rubber grip & fore end for target / range use, but I've picked up this set of stock ( paintable ) rynite grip & fore end for hunting use...

this is the same gun with some paint program color added... I can't get the exact colors I'm after. but want to get a rough idea as to pattern & how it would look... I don't have a good darker green, & the black should be a flatter black maybe more grey... I'll have to tweak the colors, but I like how the orange stripes blend with the brown stripes between the metal & the plastic... I also thought the engraving would look fine with black sprayed into the recesses, then wiped off the high parts which would already be painted in that sectional color...

thoughts ???

Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns 250.jpg (63.7 KB, 2541 views)
File Type: jpg guns 250 camo.JPG (68.5 KB, 525 views)
Old April 30, 2009, 06:42 AM   #25
Kreyzhorse

I've got to be honest, that color combo is just terrible.